UK and Europe · Public discussion

RR "rides be where you find 'em"

Started by MartinM · · Last activity · 8 posts · 538 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 September 2005
Last activity
20 September 2005
Original author
MartinM
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
538
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It was my (yawn) duty to marshall the club 25 yesterday. I did not mind
    this at all as it did not, for once, clash with the superb CTC ride and
    I used it as a good excuse to ride down to my designated roundabout. In
    fact it was a lovely morning to ride and I went out via our club hill
    climb. About 20 riders from the end (having correctly guessed the
    winner just from his split) another rider came up and we had a long
    chat as a hot air balloon meandered overhead. As the last rider
    obligingly shouted his position I packed away my tabard and headed for
    the HQ. Then it struck me, I was very close to the furthest point of
    the reliability trial I am organising for the end of October. So after
    a quick cuppa at the HQ I rode the whole route of the RT back to the
    start, getting lost a couple of times but enjoying one of the last
    glorious days of the year on the top of Ashdown Forest.

    After I got home it was back to the other end of the Forest where I
    spent a brief 10 seconds marshalling the Tour of the South en route to
    Crawley, very scary, even more so as they had already been up the
    Forest twice and were still flying.

    Isn't this time of year the best to be on a bike?

  2. in message <[email hidden]>,

    MartinM (') said:

    Isn't this time of year the best to be on a bike?

    Isn't every time of year the best to be on a bike?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.'
    ;; <URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/response03.html>

  3. MartinM said:

    Isn't this time of year the best to be on a bike?

    Absolutely. Riding in to work this morning with autumnal sun, blue sky,
    not too cold and a large home-baked spicy apple cake in my left hand,
    it was only the brewing cold that put a slight damper on the day. But
    so far so good..

    ...d

  4. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>,

    MartinM (') said:

    Isn't this time of year the best to be on a bike?

    Isn't every time of year the best to be on a bike?

    thinks; (riding into driving rain and a 50 mph headwind in March /
    April on 2 200k's)
    some times are better than others ;-)

  5. MartinM said:


    Isn't this time of year the best to be on a bike?

    I prefer really early mornings in midsummer when the sky is clear and
    the normal people are still in bed.

    I never know what to wear in this in between weather. Trinnie &
    Suzannah are no help.

  6. MSeries said:
    MartinM said:


    Isn't this time of year the best to be on a bike?

    I prefer really early mornings in midsummer when the sky is clear and
    the normal people are still in bed.

    normal people seemed to be in bed until about 0830 on Sunday; then the
    floodgates opened. Car Boot sales maybe? having the shops shut until
    1000 is also nice.

    Notice how most of our big rides happen on a Sunday but in France they
    are on Saturday.

  7. MSeries said:

    I never know what to wear in this in between weather. Trinnie &
    Suzannah are no help.

    I recently invested in some knee warmers and used them for the first
    time this morning. I'm sure they're old hat to many cyclist but were a
    revelation to me. Knees nice and toasty but without the bulk of my
    Bikesters. And they take up almost no room when you take them off.
    Unless it's exceptionally hot or cold on Martin's Mid-Sussex hilly,
    they'll be with me there.

    Mike

  8. mikef said:

    Unless it's exceptionally hot or cold on Martin's Mid-Sussex hilly,

    I'll see what I can do ;-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.