Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

RR: METEC C&D Crit Thu, 26th Feb 2004

Started by Hippy · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,023 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
26 February 2004
Last activity
28 February 2004
Original author
Hippy
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,023
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. RACE NEWS with Extrab Ias:

    Chief of Clan "Wheel Sucker", "hippy", was reported to have won the Thursday night METEC criterium
    by a margin of no more than a tyre's width employing the tactics he has become famous for on
    aus.bicycle... wheel sucking.

    But wait... with fresh information just to hand... In a shocking turn of events, it turns out that
    the infamous wheel-hog himself, a man who, on numerous occasions, has boasted of "never feeling the
    wind in my face" did in fact initiate a half-lap, solo breakaway attempt!

    This break was later joined by two other riders, Rick and Anthony, when the wind-shy hippy slowed
    somewhat and appeared to contemplate whether or not he should leave his lunch where it was, or
    donate it to the green fields of METEC.

    The trio then proceeded to work together to maintain the gap between themselves and the
    chasing bunch...

    The final lap saw the trio's pace slow dramatically as they duelled for position - none of the three
    wanting to give the others a leadout.

    Rick took charge and set a more reasonable pace towards the line with chief wheelsucker and Anthony
    closely following.

    With 50 metres between Rick's front wheel and victory... up he stood and the sprint was on!

    Powering towards the line (and I have this on good authority) hippy was locked onto the back wheel
    of Captain Leadout a.k.a Rick. The previous night of climbing and sprinting had taken its toll on
    hippy's legs and he wasn't sure he could make it around Captain Leadout. In his typical fashion,
    showing a total lack of regard for the 'smart' thing to do, hippy moved around Rick too early,
    losing his aero advantage. "No matter", he must have thought as he made ground on Rick's blurring
    legs, but the line approached fast at top speed and he would have to act quickly...

    Lifting his <cough> sizeable </cough> rear off the saddle ever so slightly, hippy flung his
    bike foward underneath him, hoping to push his red Michelins over the line before Rick tried to
    do the same.

    It might have been the gift of longer arms or the fact that "red goes faster", but hippy snatched
    victory at METEC that night by the narrowest of margins...

    ---

    BIG thanks to David De Gama and his wife (who's name I've forgotten - sorry!), John Nicholson and
    all the riders who continue to turn up to these races even with the low numbers.

    Some A&B graders were spotted (you know who you are) after the race - perhaps they were examining
    the course before their return to racing METEC next week???

    Inviting any other club's riders - If you want to find out what a non-rectangular course (with a
    RIGHT HAND CORNER!!!!) feels like.. you know where to find us :-P

    hippy

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Hippy
    RACE NEWS with Extrab Ias:

    Chief of Clan "Wheel Sucker", "hippy", was reported to have won the Thursday night METEC criterium
    by a margin of no more than a tyre's width employing the tactics he has become famous for on
    aus.bicycle... wheel sucking.

    But wait... with fresh information just to hand... In a shocking turn of events, it turns out that
    the infamous wheel-hog himself, a man who, on numerous occasions, has boasted of "never feeling the
    wind in my face" did in fact initiate a half-lap, solo breakaway attempt!

    This break was later joined by two other riders, Rick and Anthony, when the wind-shy hippy slowed
    somewhat and appeared to contemplate whether or not he should leave his lunch where it was, or
    donate it to the green fields of METEC.

    The trio then proceeded to work together to maintain the gap between themselves and the
    chasing bunch...

    The final lap saw the trio's pace slow dramatically as they duelled for position - none of the three
    wanting to give the others a leadout.

    Rick took charge and set a more reasonable pace towards the line with chief wheelsucker and Anthony
    closely following.

    With 50 metres between Rick's front wheel and victory... up he stood and the sprint was on!

    Powering towards the line (and I have this on good authority) hippy was locked onto the back wheel
    of Captain Leadout a.k.a Rick. The previous night of climbing and sprinting had taken its toll on
    hippy's legs and he wasn't sure he could make it around Captain Leadout. In his typical fashion,
    showing a total lack of regard for the 'smart' thing to do, hippy moved around Rick too early,
    losing his aero advantage. "No matter", he must have thought as he made ground on Rick's blurring
    legs, but the line approached fast at top speed and he would have to act quickly...

    Lifting his <cough> sizeable </cough> rear off the saddle ever so slightly, hippy flung his
    bike foward underneath him, hoping to push his red Michelins over the line before Rick tried to
    do the same.

    It might have been the gift of longer arms or the fact that "red goes faster", but hippy snatched
    victory at METEC that night by the narrowest of margins...

    ---

    BIG thanks to David De Gama and his wife (who's name I've forgotten - sorry!), John Nicholson and
    all the riders who continue to turn up to these races even with the low numbers.

    Some A&B graders were spotted (you know who you are) after the race - perhaps they were examining
    the course before their return to racing METEC next week???

    Inviting any other club's riders - If you want to find out what a non-rectangular course (with a
    RIGHT HAND CORNER!!!!) feels like.. you know where to find us :-P

    hippy

    Well done Hippy! How many riders turned up this time?

  3. "jazmo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well done Hippy! How many riders turned up this time?

    Big field last night.. 8 riders! I think ;-) One guy pulled out mid-race.. literally.. his cleat was
    stuffed! :-) Other guys/gals turned up but didn't race.

    hippy

  4. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "jazmo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well done Hippy! How many riders turned up this time?

    Big field last night.. 8 riders! I think ;-) One guy pulled out mid-race.. literally.. his cleat
    was stuffed! :-) Other guys/gals turned up but didn't race.

    hippy

    Hip, in the context of racing, being a wheel suck is a good thing. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to
    get across the line. But as you know, there is nothing finer than being in a winning, break where
    all the wheels suck complain "how did you let them get away ?"

    That you are getting into both is only good for you. I've watched plenty of wheels suck dominate
    sprints only to be put up a grade and shunted out back in the first few laps.

    And yes, if you remember, please bring my rain coat to Glenvale !!

    RMan

  5. "rickster" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hip, in the context of racing, being a wheel suck is a good thing. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to
    get across the line. But as you know, there is nothing finer than being in a winning, break where
    all the wheels suck complain "how did you let them get away ?"

    The extra suffering you experience in a break makes the win 'that' much better.

    Quoted message said:

    That you are getting into both is only good for you. I've watched plenty of wheels suck dominate
    sprints only to be put up a grade and shunted out back in the first few laps.

    Cheers. I'm really not the wheelsuck that I make myself out to be. The races where I'm 'just hanging
    on' I will be wheel sucking and it's a lucky shot if I get near the sprint. Most of the races I've
    placed in have been a result of breaks. Last night, my first win was a solo break, a 2nd at the
    circuit opposite Carribean Gardens from a break I started. I can't really remember many more, but it
    is rare for me to sit-on for the whole race unless I'm tired or the pace is too high, in which case
    I'll not have the legs for the sprint anyway. Races are a chance for evil hippy to come out to play
    and inflict a bit of pain on other riders :->

    Quoted message said:

    And yes, if you remember, please bring my rain coat to Glenvale !!

    I've told the others I'm racing Sunday and the jacket's laid out on the floor, hopefully obvious
    enough for me to pack
    it. It's only taken 12 months, but I have a feeling you are getting closer to getting your jacket
    back! hehe I told you, you should've just let me drop it off somewhere! :-P

    hippy

  6. [QUOTE
    Chief of Clan "Wheel Sucker", "hippy", was reported to have won the Thursday night METEC criterium
    by a margin of no more than a tyre's width employing the tactics he has become famous for on
    aus.bicycle... wheel sucking.

    hippy [/B][/QUOTE]

    Oh, a wheel sucker, the shame!!!

    Where is the nobility in that?
    come ride some hills hipster (Im thunking Alpine classic) and your sucking will be an irrelevance...

    Then again if I could ever qualify to ride with you,
    I'd just end up being the sucker
    (who leads you out!) 😄 😄 😄

  7. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Hippy
    RACE NEWS with Extrab Ias:

    ...
    hippy

    Nice report Hippy

    In similar spirit I'd like to contribute an account of this correspondent's stirring breakaway victory in B Grade at Eastern Vets' Wednesday am crit at the Yarra Boulevard loop ... except that what I "won" was the second last lap, having misheard the bell intended for some other bunch.

    Anyone else ever done this and felt like a total git?

  8. "flyingdutch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [QUOTE Chief of Clan "Wheel Sucker", "hippy", was reported to have won the Thursday night METEC
    criterium by a margin of no more than a


    tyre's

    Quoted message said:

    width employing the tactics he has become famous for on aus.bicycle... wheel sucking.

    hippy

    Oh, a wheel sucker, the shame!!!

    Not for a sprinter :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Where is the nobility in that? come ride some hills hipster (Im


    thunking

    Quoted message said:

    Alpine classic) and your sucking will be an irrelevance...

    Nobility? I'm there to win! :-) But, did you read the rest of it? You will notice that I actually
    started the break and kept us away until the final lap whereupon I lept back into sprint mode and
    sucked all the way to the line :-)

    Alpine Classic! Egads! I have enough trouble with 1:20, etc... I want to live until I'm 30
    you know! ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Then again if I could ever qualify to ride with you, I'd just end up being the sucker (who leads
    you out!) 😄 😄 😄


    hehe feel free.. I'm always on the lookout for a leadout ;-)

    hippy

  9. "Unregistered" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In similar spirit I'd like to contribute an account of this correspondent's stirring breakaway
    victory in B Grade at Eastern Vets' Wednesday am crit at the Yarra Boulevard loop ... except that
    what I "won" was the second last lap, having misheard the bell intended for some other bunch.

    Anyone else ever done this and felt like a total git?

    Not yet, but I'm sure it will happen :-)

    Some guy did similar at Sandown recently when he sprinted for the wrong line marked on the track..
    he then sprinted again, 200m further along and still managed to win! Sounds like he should move up a
    grade :-) (saw the RR on cyclingnews)

    hippy

  10. Blackburn Cycling Club Metec Race Results 26th Feb 2004

    Chief of Race : D.de Gama Commissaire: J. Nicholson Handicapper: A. Barnes Temp: 26C Wind Direction:
    S Wind Speed: 3-6kph D Grade 40min + 3 Laps

    Name Club Finish Time Placing Stuart Birnie BBN 45.30 1 Richard Reynolds BBN 45.30 2 Anthony Peacock
    BBN 45.30 3 Justin Walker BBN 46.17 4 Anthony Kirwan BBN 47.20 5 Grant Walker BBN 47.55 6 Gavin
    Walker BBN 48.23 7 Ross Hamilton BBN DNF

  11. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Hippy
    Blackburn Cycling Club Metec Race Results 26th Feb 2004

    Chief of Race : D.de Gama Commissaire: J. Nicholson Handicapper: A. Barnes Temp: 26C Wind Direction:
    S Wind Speed: 3-6kph D Grade 40min + 3 Laps

    Name Club Finish Time Placing Stuart Birnie BBN 45.30 1 Richard Reynolds BBN 45.30 2 Anthony Peacock
    BBN 45.30 3 Justin Walker BBN 46.17 4 Anthony Kirwan BBN 47.20 5 Grant Walker BBN 47.55 6 Gavin
    Walker BBN 48.23 7 Ross Hamilton BBN DNF

    Que? which one are you?
    lord, i thought learning actionscript was hard...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.