Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR a little ride at the park

Started by Pas · · Last activity · 6 posts · 398 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
13 June 2004
Last activity
14 June 2004
Original author
Pas
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
398
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, no one but me showed up for my "women's mtb ride...,
    all abilities welcome. 10 am, Aubrey White trail head ( off
    government way) Rain or shine.Exact route to be determined
    by ability and interest of riders. No dogs, please."

    So, not going to waste a good day, off I go on the Ti
    Mongoose loaner. I'm a little sad, because Mr. Adventure has
    asked to come last night and I told him no. Not too sad,
    last thing I saw him this a.m. he was still snoozing, he
    does like his extended naps on the weekend mornings.

    I sure am having fun on the loaner Ti HT. Last time I rode a
    HT much at all it had been my steel tank pre bike camp. This
    bike I felt like I was dancing with on the technical stuff.
    I am sure it has a whole lot to do with the growth in the
    rider over the last few years.

    It's the usual route.. .down the hill, along the river, back
    up and across the bike path..along the bluff and through the
    forest. OK, try a new way. There's so many old abandoned
    roads around here,and voila! New bits of singletrack!! Must
    ride them. Short, connectors.. but hey ... single track.
    Mostly when I ride out here it's for fitness, it's easy to
    knock of 10-12 mile on single track and double track, with
    lots of climbs mixed in with the flats as you go up and down
    the historic river terraces. ( geomorph 101, anyone?).

    I finally tried a new off shoot that Tuffgirl and I have
    been eyeing. This year, the park has finally decided to put
    numbered markers at all the junctions. We've been eyeing
    where #25 turns off on the way down form Devils Down. Where
    does that go anyway? Looks like up, but we've always not
    had the time or inclination to explore it. Today's the
    day... kind of steep at the beginning, but rideable, sort
    of. Up to a rise, it sort of flattens out and looks like it
    will start paralleling the basalt bluff through the forest.
    It climb gradually now, damp and narrow, rooty, through
    long grass.. not used much! Then it's [censored]... a little
    steep hike a bike to the next level. More rolling trail and
    then up again. I get the sneaky feeling I should be riding
    this the other way. Every time I think this thing is going
    to traverse the bluff... it goes up again. Finally, it
    dumps me out on a level old abandoned railway ballast just
    below the basalt cliff. [censored]. I ride 50' down it, wondering
    if there's any trail left. My idea had been to follow this
    spur trail all the way to it's beginning (end?) but at the
    sight of the ballast, no way. Time to turn around and ride
    this down! Fun and swoopy but narrow, nothing like brushing
    through a little hidden devils' club on the way down. And
    then.. spit out where I began, to finish out the ride the
    route I always do.

    Back to the car, then home to change into "piano
    recital mom"

    Penny

  2. pas said:

    Well, no one but me showed up for my "women's mtb ride...,
    all abilities welcome. 10 am, Aubrey White trail head (
    off government way) Rain or shine.Exact route to be
    determined by ability and interest of riders. No dogs,
    please."

    What did you do to scare everyone?

    Quoted message said:

    So, not going to waste a good day, off I go on the Ti
    Mongoose loaner.

    I sure am having fun on the loaner Ti HT. Last time I rode
    a HT much at all it had been my steel tank pre bike camp.
    This bike I felt like I was dancing with on the technical
    stuff. I am sure it has a whole lot to do with the growth
    in the rider over the last few years.

    Did I miss something, what happened to your bike?

    Quoted message said:

    It's the usual route.. .down the hill, along the river,
    back up and across the bike path..along the bluff and
    through the forest. OK, try a new way. There's so many old
    abandoned roads around here,and voila! New bits of
    singletrack!! Must ride them. Short, connectors.. but hey
    ... single track. Mostly when I ride out here it's for
    fitness, it's easy to knock of 10-12 mile on single track
    and double track, with lots of climbs mixed in with the
    flats as you go up and down the historic river terraces. (
    geomorph 101, anyone?).

    Quoted message said:

    Back to the car, then home to change into "piano
    recital mom"

    Penny

    The multi-talented mom... nice.

    --
    Slacker

  3. Slacker said:
    pas said:

    Well, no one but me showed up for my "women's mtb
    ride..., all abilities welcome. 10 am, Aubrey White trail
    head ( off government way) Rain or shine.Exact route to
    be determined by ability and interest of riders. No dogs,
    please."

    What did you do to scare everyone?


    <snip>

    Maybe the gals like to look at the guy's butts as much as
    the guys like to look at the gal's butts?

    Mmmm..... Gals in lycra! {Homer Simpson Growl}

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  4. Slacker said:
    pas said:

    Well, no one but me showed up for my "women's mtb
    ride..., all abilities welcome. 10 am, Aubrey White trail
    head ( off government way) Rain or shine.Exact route to
    be determined by ability and interest of riders. No dogs,
    please."

    What did you do to scare everyone?


    Um. I honestly don't know, Slacker. I think they all have to
    wash their hair on the days I post rides. As you all know, I
    am passionate about womens' rides... not that we don't
    appreciate our lovable hunks of testosterone... but I have
    yet to figure out how to get the riders in my womens bike
    club (combo road/mtn) to come out for mountain bike rides.
    In two seasons and 20+ ride e- list invites, I've had two
    riders show up. You think I'd quit, eh?

    Quoted message said:

    Did I miss something, what happened to your bike?

    SID SL is shot, rebound is trashed and "stacking" ( LBS
    term) Bike is at LBS having things done to it.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The multi-talented mom... nice.

    hehe, you have no idea.

    p.

  5. pas said:


    Well, no one but me showed up for my "women's mtb ride...,
    all abilities welcome. 10 am, Aubrey White trail head ( off
    government way) Rain or shine.Exact route to be determined
    by ability and interest of riders. No dogs, please."

    So, not going to waste a good day, off I go on the Ti
    Mongoose loaner. I'm a little sad, because Mr. Adventure
    has asked to come last night and I told him no. Not too
    sad, last thing I saw him this a.m. he was still snoozing,
    he does like his extended naps on the weekend mornings.

    I sure am having fun on the loaner Ti HT. Last time I rode
    a HT much at all it had been my steel tank pre bike camp.
    This bike I felt like I was dancing with on the technical
    stuff. I am sure it has a whole lot to do with the growth
    in the rider over the last few years.

    It's the usual route.. .down the hill, along the river,
    back up and across the bike path..along the bluff and
    through the forest. OK, try a new way. There's so many old
    abandoned roads around here,and voila! New bits of
    singletrack!! Must ride them. Short, connectors.. but hey
    ... single track. Mostly when I ride out here it's for
    fitness, it's easy to knock of 10-12 mile on single track
    and double track, with lots of climbs mixed in with the
    flats as you go up and down the historic river terraces. (
    geomorph 101, anyone?).

    I finally tried a new off shoot that Tuffgirl and I have
    been eyeing. This year, the park has finally decided to put
    numbered markers at all the junctions. We've been eyeing
    where #25 turns off on the way down form Devils Down. Where
    does that go anyway? Looks like up, but we've always not
    had the time or inclination to explore it. Today's the
    day... kind of steep at the beginning, but rideable, sort
    of. Up to a rise, it sort of flattens out and looks like it
    will start paralleling the basalt bluff through the forest.
    It climb gradually now, damp and narrow, rooty, through
    long grass.. not used much! Then it's [censored]... a little
    steep hike a bike to the next level. More rolling trail and
    then up again. I get the sneaky feeling I should be riding
    this the other way. Every time I think this thing is going
    to traverse the bluff... it goes up again. Finally, it
    dumps me out on a level old abandoned railway ballast just
    below the basalt cliff. [censored]. I ride 50' down it, wondering
    if there's any trail left. My idea had been to follow this
    spur trail all the way to it's beginning (end?) but at the
    sight of the ballast, no way. Time to turn around and ride
    this down! Fun and swoopy but narrow, nothing like brushing
    through a little hidden devils' club on the way down. And
    then.. spit out where I began, to finish out the ride the
    route I always do.

    Back to the car, then home to change into "piano
    recital mom"

    Penny


    Nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
    than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
    immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  6. "pas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, no one but me showed up for my "women's mtb ride...,
    all abilities welcome. 10 am, Aubrey White trail head (
    off government way) Rain or shine.Exact route to be
    determined by ability and interest of riders. No dogs,
    please."

    Fun report. But the above reminds me of the poor attendance
    so far this year to my regular Wed a.m. group ride. Kinda
    hit or miss. Mostly miss. I've had some good a.m. solos,
    though. Usual suspects are either working different shifts,
    sleeping in, or just don't like me any more. O Well.

    Gonna do a "memorial ride" tomorrow morning for our favorite
    female member who's in town for a couple days.

    paladin

    Quoted message said:


    Back to the car, then home to change into "piano
    recital mom"

    Penny

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.