Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: A change of scenery

Started by Bomba · · Last activity · 11 posts · 571 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
19 January 2004
Last activity
23 January 2004
Original author
Bomba
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
571
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Was working down in Luxembourg at the end of last week, so with some proper forethought, I arranged
    a place to stay for the weekend and packed the Bredtin.

    The original plan had been to hit La Roche or Houffalize on the way back on the Sunday, but driving
    through the Ardennes on the way down showed this wasn't going to be possible as the whole area was
    under several inches of snow.

    So Saturday, I chucked the bike in the car and started heading towards the city to ride some of my
    old trails. But I only got a few kilometres when I noticed the large wooded hills to my left. They
    looked entertaining so I unpacked and headed off in to the hills near Trintange.

    It's been a while since I've done the exploring thing, and although it's fun, you're never quite
    sure what you're going to get. I was relatively lucky - half fireroad, half singletrack and a nice
    technical descent that got me to bail at low speed. Unfortunately, I couldn't link it all up and had
    to do the last descent and final few km on road. Still, that's the beauty of exploring, you learn
    for next time, and I think the areas got a lot of potential. Especially if it's as quiet as Saturday
    - I saw two people in over two hours of riding.

    ER: The new WTB Rocket V Stealth is a revelation - way more comfy than my Flite Trans-Am. I've been
    using the Race Face Aquanot for a while now for both running and riding and it is just superb. Two
    hours of pissing rain at the weekend and I stayed as dry as a bone. Hope Minis are great for
    braking, but as soon as you get a small buckle in the disc they are possibly the most annoying
    things ever. A 'zing' every rotation, and the tolerances are so small that trying to bend it back in
    to line seems a futile task. If anyone has any suggestions...

  2. Don't know anything about these after market rotors, but for ten dollars how could you loose..

    jensonusa.comproduct.aspx

    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Was working down in Luxembourg at the end of last week, so with some proper forethought, I
    arranged a place to stay for the weekend and packed the Bredtin.

    The original plan had been to hit La Roche or Houffalize on the way back on the Sunday, but
    driving through the Ardennes on the way down showed this wasn't going to be possible as the whole
    area was under several inches of snow.

    So Saturday, I chucked the bike in the car and started heading towards the city to ride some of my
    old trails. But I only got a few kilometres when I noticed the large wooded hills to my left. They
    looked entertaining so I unpacked and headed off in to the hills near Trintange.

    It's been a while since I've done the exploring thing, and although it's fun, you're never quite
    sure what you're going to get. I was relatively lucky - half fireroad, half singletrack and a nice
    technical descent that got me to bail at low speed. Unfortunately, I couldn't link it all up and
    had to do the last descent and final few km on road. Still, that's the beauty of exploring, you
    learn for next time, and I think the areas got a lot of potential. Especially if it's as quiet as
    Saturday - I saw two people in over two hours of riding.

    ER: The new WTB Rocket V Stealth is a revelation - way more comfy than my Flite Trans-Am. I've
    been using the Race Face Aquanot for a while now for both running and riding and it is just
    superb. Two hours of pissing rain at the weekend and I stayed as dry as a bone. Hope Minis are
    great for braking, but as soon as you get a small buckle in the disc they are possibly the most
    annoying things ever. A 'zing' every rotation, and the tolerances are so small that trying to bend
    it back in to line seems a futile task. If anyone has any suggestions...

  3. <snippage mucho>

    Great RR bomba. MTB as it should be. "I'm going over there it looks pretty" is the Why.

    Quoted message said:

    Hope Minis are great for braking, but as soon as you get a small buckle in the disc they are
    possibly the most annoying things ever. A 'zing' every rotation, and the tolerances are so small
    that trying to bend it back in to line seems a futile task. If anyone has any suggestions...

    I've never tried this, but I reckon a mutts nutts solution would be to

    1) take the disc off the bike
    2) place it (the disc, not the bike) between firstly two pieces polythene and secondly two pieces of
    cardboard.
    3) Place the result in a hydraulic press with a big flat lump of metal on the top of it that's
    bigger than the disc. Squidge. No need to go mad with the pressure - about 1 imperial Tweek*
    should do it.
    4) Remove now completely straight disc from the press.
    5) Refit to bike. Be happy.

    I spent years squidging metal flat in this way and I can't see why it won't work perfectly unless
    the disc is really wanged.

    It all depends on wether or not you can get hold of the cardboard. If you have a boozing buddy in
    the motor trade you might be sorted. Or if your car is going in for a spanner monkey spanking.

    Andy Chequer delurking, hello

    * equivalent to 1.346 Metric

  4. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Ah, glad to see you are getting some riding in, honest ',;~}~

    Quoted message said:

    Hope Minis are great for braking, but as soon as you get a small buckle in the disc they are
    possibly the most annoying things ever. A 'zing' every rotation, and the tolerances are so small
    that trying to bend it back in to line seems a futile task. If anyone has any suggestions...

    Yup - vice, cloth over the jaws, adjustable wrench to tweak back the bent bit. Actually, never
    needed the vice for mine, just did it with disc in situ, and it worked a treat.

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe

    BTW, if ya feel like it, take a look over at www.reversemonster.com - some great art there, as well
    as a couple of amateurishartythingpictures I put up recently (TRArt gallery bit).

  5. Andy Chequer said:

    I spent years squidging metal flat in this way and I can't see why it won't work perfectly unless
    the disc is really wanged.

    It all depends on wether or not you can get hold of the cardboard.

    Pity, I'm short on cardboard...

    Quoted message said:

    Andy Chequer delurking, hello

    Hey Dr (yet?) C. How's life?

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: j-harris.netambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  6. Shaun Rimmer said:

    Ah, glad to see you are getting some riding in, honest ',;~}~

    I'm sure you'll be back on the bike soon 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hope Minis are great for braking, but as soon as you get a small buckle in the disc they are
    possibly the most annoying things ever. A 'zing' every rotation, and the tolerances are so small
    that trying to bend it back in to line seems a futile task. If anyone has any suggestions...

    Yup - vice, cloth over the jaws, adjustable wrench to tweak back the bent bit. Actually, never
    needed the vice for mine, just did it with disc in situ, and it worked a treat.

    I'll give it a try (again).

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, if ya feel like it, take a look over at www.reversemonster.com - some great art there, as
    well as a couple of amateurishartythingpictures I put up recently (TRArt gallery bit).

    Nice - what did you use for those pics? Photoshop?

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: j-harris.netambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  7. "Stephen Baker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    bomba says:

    Quoted message said:

    Nice - what did you use for those pics? Photoshop?

    Nope! That was the digital equivalent of the lens breaking. ;-P

    Fkoff! ',;~}~

    Quoted message said:

    Hope your legs doing OK, considering, SR. Heal up soon. Steve

    Cheers mate - doing alright! Cast comes off around 10th Feb, and I'm getting around quite well now
    (walked to the pub with Kath and Taryn Sunday, and had to keep waiting for them to catch up).

    Shaun R

  8. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Shaun Rimmer said:

    Ah, glad to see you are getting some riding in, honest ',;~}~

    I'm sure you'll be back on the bike soon 🙂

    Aye, me sure too! Doing alright so far - can walk around wquite well without aid, although my
    ightweight alu walking stick helps me move faster. Leg is feeling quite solid.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hope Minis are great for braking, but as soon as you get a small buckle in the disc they are
    possibly the most annoying things ever. A 'zing' every rotation, and the tolerances are so
    small that trying to bend it back in to line seems a futile task. If anyone has any
    suggestions...

    Yup - vice, cloth over the jaws, adjustable wrench to tweak back the


    bent

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bit. Actually, never needed the vice for mine, just did it with disc in situ, and it worked a
    treat.

    I'll give it a try (again).

    I thought you must've tried that already, but like I said, it's worked for me.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    BTW, if ya feel like it, take a look over at www.reversemonster.com -


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    great art there, as well as a couple of amateurishartythingpictures I


    put up

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    recently (TRArt gallery bit).

    Nice - what did you use for those pics? Photoshop?

    Yes, Photoshop 7 for the more complex stuff, and Photoimpression 3 for some other bits, as it's a
    simpler programme and easier to interface with (especially for simple merging of layers). I'm a
    total newbie at this stuff, having only been playing with these progs for about a week and a half.
    Gonna take some time before I can really do Photoshop the justice it deserves.

    Oh, the dragon though, was drawn in a CAD programme with its own file type, exported as a .bmp, then
    saved as a .jpg. It's lost massive amounts of resolution - heeuge file originally with lots of
    attention to detail, and there's likely 80+ hours of work in it (I was new to the programme though,
    and CAD in general).

    Anyhow, glad you liked 'em!

    Have uploaded some more to the 'Faces Of I' I had at home, and will be adding to the main gallery
    today too.

    Shaun aRe - There's some fantastic stuff in some of the other's galleries! One day...one day...

  9. "Stephen Baker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Shaun R says:

    Quoted message said:

    Fkoff! ',;~}~

    ;-P

    Quoted message said:

    walked to the pub with Kath and Taryn Sunday, and had to keep waiting for them to catch up

    That's coz you were going the wrong way.....

    'Me' 'Walking to' Pub' 'Wrong way' - if you think about what you just said Stevie, you'll realise
    just how bloody foolish a comment it was ',;~P~

    Quoted message said:

    Glad to hear things is gettin' there.

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe

  10. Quoted message said:

    Pity, I'm short on cardboard...

    Usually the flaw in the plan

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Andy Chequer delurking, hello

    Hey Dr (yet?) C. How's life?

    Not yet, nor ever sadly. Long story. Other than that, life continues apace and quite well, thanks
    for asking.........

    Andy Chequer

  11. "Stephen Baker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Shaun R says:

    Quoted message said:

    'Me' 'Walking to' Pub' 'Wrong way' - if you think about what you just


    said

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Stevie, you'll realise just how bloody foolish a comment it was ',;~P~

    Just makin' sure your head was on straight. ;-)

    It doesn't ever come off to go back on crooked ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe currently enjoying being entertained by Stargate SG-1 (Richard Dean Anderson is a [censored]
    funny bloke and a genius actor (etc.), so are the others!), and the tune Hey Ya by Outcast (makes
    me feel damned up and good!), which refuses to wear thin despite the best efforts of radio DJ's and
    the TV. FYI.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.