General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Round steak and catsup recipe

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 16 posts · 354 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 November 2007
Last activity
7 November 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
354
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On the radio a person gave a recipe for round steak cooked in a catsup
    type gravy. I only caught the tailend of the recipe. I looked a
    similar recipe up on the internet, and it says to create a gravy and
    cook the steak in it for about two hours in a low oven. It does not
    tell you to brown the steak cubes first. It would seem as if that
    would be necessary. They called the recipe Pittsburgh steak.

    Thanks

    Tom

  2. On Nov 2, 2:24 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On the radio a person gave a recipe for round steak cooked in a catsup
    type gravy. I only caught the tailend of the recipe. I looked a
    similar recipe up on the internet, and it says to create a gravy and
    cook the steak in it for about two hours in a low oven. It does not
    tell you to brown the steak cubes first. It would seem as if that
    would be necessary. They called the recipe Pittsburgh steak.

    The question is, are you a troll, or are you just White trash? I say
    the latter.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks

    Tom

    --Bryan

  3. On Nov 2, 2:24 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On the radio a person gave a recipe for round steak cooked in a catsup
    type gravy. I only caught the tailend of the recipe. I looked a
    similar recipe up on the internet, and it says to create a gravy and
    cook the steak in it for about two hours in a low oven. It does not
    tell you to brown the steak cubes first. It would seem as if that
    would be necessary. They called the recipe Pittsburgh steak.

    The question is, are you a troll, or are you just White trash? I say
    the latter.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks

    Tom

    --Bryan

  4. On Nov 2, 12:24 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On the radio a person gave a recipe for round steak cooked in a catsup
    type gravy. I only caught the tailend of the recipe. I looked a
    similar recipe up on the internet, and it says to create a gravy and
    cook the steak in it for about two hours in a low oven. It does not
    tell you to brown the steak cubes first. It would seem as if that
    would be necessary. They called the recipe Pittsburgh steak.


    Never heard of Pittsburgh steak, but it sounds like it might be a
    variant on Swiss steak. One way to do that is to pound flour into it
    with the edge of a saucer, which helps tenderize it, then brown it
    quickly on both sides, cover with some kind of tomato or tomato and
    onion concoction and finish with long slow cooking either in the oven
    or on the stovetop. -aem

  5. aem said:

    On Nov 2, 12:24 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:> On the radio a person gave a recipe for round steak cooked in a catsup

    Quoted message said:

    type gravy. I only caught the tailend of the recipe. I looked a
    similar recipe up on the internet, and it says to create a gravy and
    cook the steak in it for about two hours in a low oven. It does not
    tell you to brown the steak cubes first. It would seem as if that
    would be necessary. They called the recipe Pittsburgh steak.

    Never heard of Pittsburgh steak, but it sounds like it might be a
    variant on Swiss steak. One way to do that is to pound flour into it
    with the edge of a saucer, which helps tenderize it, then brown it
    quickly on both sides, cover with some kind of tomato or tomato and
    onion concoction and finish with long slow cooking either in the oven
    or on the stovetop.

    A Pittburghed steak is one that is cooked over a high flame. Well
    browned on the outside, cold rare inside. The OP, ketchup clown, is
    just full of [censored].

    Quoted message said:

    -aem

    --Bryan

  6. "aem" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Nov 2, 12:24 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On the radio a person gave a recipe for round steak cooked in a catsup
    type gravy. I only caught the tailend of the recipe. I looked a
    similar recipe up on the internet, and it says to create a gravy and
    cook the steak in it for about two hours in a low oven. It does not
    tell you to brown the steak cubes first. It would seem as if that
    would be necessary. They called the recipe Pittsburgh steak.


    Never heard of Pittsburgh steak, but it sounds like it might be a
    variant on Swiss steak. One way to do that is to pound flour into it
    with the edge of a saucer, which helps tenderize it, then brown it
    quickly on both sides, cover with some kind of tomato or tomato and
    onion concoction and finish with long slow cooking either in the oven
    or on the stovetop. -aem

    *Shudder* The name Swiss Steak sounds appealing but my mom made it a few
    times. I didn't like it one bit.

    I sometimes let my daughter pick out meat at the store. Once she picked
    round steaks. I wasn't going to Swiss them so I looked for another recipe.
    Found one where they are cooked in a foil packet with slices of onion and
    potato. She and my husband loved them. I can't say the same. Didn't find
    the meat to be edible. But then I don't much like meat.

  7. I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA by one of
    radio hosts speaking with the owner of a local chain of food stores
    called Kuhns Markets. They called it Pittsburgh steak. In searching
    the net, the only Pittsburgh steak I came up with was high flamed
    steak. It is hard to believe that people can be so touchy about a
    name. The people on the radio probably called it Pittsburgh steak
    because of the fact that catsup was used, and Pittsburgh is home to
    Heinz.

    Tom

  8. email hidden said:

    On the radio a person gave a recipe for round steak cooked in a catsup
    type gravy. I only caught the tailend of the recipe. I looked a
    similar recipe up on the internet, and it says to create a gravy and
    cook the steak in it for about two hours in a low oven. It does not
    tell you to brown the steak cubes first. It would seem as if that
    would be necessary. They called the recipe Pittsburgh steak.

    Thanks

    Tom

    Yeah, I think Pittsburgh Steak is a misnomer. The only Pittsburgh
    steak I know of involves charing the steak on the outside whilst
    leaving the inside very rare. This recipe might be what you're looking
    for though, although it's all done on the stove top. I'm sure a slow
    oven could be subbed, if that's your preference.

    Regards,
    Tracy R

    Coke Steak

    1 pound tenderized round steak
    Flour
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 tablespoons cooking oil
    6 tablespoons ketchup
    Coca-Cola

    Flour, salt and pepper steak. Brown steak with onion on both sides
    using cooking oil. Add ketchup and enough Coke to cover steak. Bring
    to a boil and then simmer until sauce is thick and steak is tender.

  9. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA by one of
    radio hosts speaking with the owner of a local chain of food stores
    called Kuhns Markets. They called it Pittsburgh steak. In searching
    the net, the only Pittsburgh steak I came up with was high flamed
    steak. It is hard to believe that people can be so touchy about a
    name. The people on the radio probably called it Pittsburgh steak
    because of the fact that catsup was used, and Pittsburgh is home to
    Heinz.

    Tom

    Why don't you call the station and ask them?

  10. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA by one of
    radio hosts speaking with the owner of a local chain of food stores
    called Kuhns Markets. They called it Pittsburgh steak. In searching
    the net, the only Pittsburgh steak I came up with was high flamed
    steak. It is hard to believe that people can be so touchy about a
    name. The people on the radio probably called it Pittsburgh steak
    because of the fact that catsup was used, and Pittsburgh is home to
    Heinz.

    Tom

    Why don't you call the station and ask them?

  11. "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA by
    one of radio hosts speaking with the owner of a local chain of
    food stores called Kuhns Markets. They called it Pittsburgh
    steak. In searching the net, the only Pittsburgh steak I came
    up with was high flamed steak. It is hard to believe that
    people can be so touchy about a name. The people on the radio
    probably called it Pittsburgh steak because of the fact that
    catsup was used, and Pittsburgh is home to Heinz.

    Tom

    Like Kswck said call the station or contact the recipe lady there.
    http://kdka.com/food
    or call a Kuhn store.

  12. "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA by
    one of radio hosts speaking with the owner of a local chain of
    food stores called Kuhns Markets. They called it Pittsburgh
    steak. In searching the net, the only Pittsburgh steak I came
    up with was high flamed steak. It is hard to believe that
    people can be so touchy about a name. The people on the radio
    probably called it Pittsburgh steak because of the fact that
    catsup was used, and Pittsburgh is home to Heinz.

    Tom

    Like Kswck said call the station or contact the recipe lady there.
    http://kdka.com/food
    or call a Kuhn store.

  13. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA by


    Like Kswck said call the station or contact the recipe lady there.http://kdka.com/food
    or call a Kuhn store.

    I did but apparently the owner of the food market, and the radio
    person said they would post the recipe, but they did not.

    Tom

  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA by


    Like Kswck said call the station or contact the recipe lady there.http://kdka.com/food
    or call a Kuhn store.

    I did but apparently the owner of the food market, and the radio
    person said they would post the recipe, but they did not.

    Tom

  15. "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA
    by


    Like Kswck said call the station or contact the recipe lady
    there.http://kdka.com/food or call a Kuhn store.

    I did but apparently the owner of the food market, and the
    radio person said they would post the recipe, but they did
    not.

    Tom

    Call them again?
    Email them?

    [email hidden] and [email hidden]

  16. "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am the original poster, and the recipe was given on KDKA
    by


    Like Kswck said call the station or contact the recipe lady
    there.http://kdka.com/food or call a Kuhn store.

    I did but apparently the owner of the food market, and the
    radio person said they would post the recipe, but they did
    not.

    Tom

    Call them again?
    Email them?

    [email hidden] and [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.