Road Cycling · Public discussion

Ronde Champ was a Pro?

Started by mike schatzman · · Last activity · 20 posts · 607 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 September 2004
Last activity
28 September 2004
Original author
mike schatzman
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
607
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone into minor cycling team nostalgia like I am?
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa94.php
    Rob Palachick was a pro riding for Giant in 94, I didn't know that.
    Look at all those guys, I know some of those dudes,
    you could pretty much buy a pro license if you were a 1 right?

    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa93.php
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa97.php
    just change the year at the end of the thread, ever wonder who
    rode for Richbrau or Oil-Me Klein (the call it SOILME KLEIN, funny
    stuff, they were "suspended by UCI"😉
    There was an Indian Palace pro team?

    Is Oliver Starr related to Walker Starr? Oliver Starr is now a
    bodybuilding steroid guru, and published "underground anabolic
    endurance
    newsletter" that taught cyclists how to dope properly...

    Lieswyn was on like 10 different teams, what ever happened to Elliot
    Hubbard?
    Ok I'll stop

  2. Must be, because I see several names of local Lancaster/Philly riders on
    that list that I'm about 100% sure weren't pros (e.g., dave black, wayne
    work).

    I suspect that the list includes guys who, for whatever reason, were Cat Is
    who were able to race CoreStates in Philly that year....

    "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone into minor cycling team nostalgia like I am?
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa94.php
    Rob Palachick was a pro riding for Giant in 94, I didn't know that.
    Look at all those guys, I know some of those dudes,
    you could pretty much buy a pro license if you were a 1 right?

    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa93.php
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa97.php
    just change the year at the end of the thread, ever wonder who
    rode for Richbrau or Oil-Me Klein (the call it SOILME KLEIN, funny
    stuff, they were "suspended by UCI"😉
    There was an Indian Palace pro team?

    Is Oliver Starr related to Walker Starr? Oliver Starr is now a
    bodybuilding steroid guru, and published "underground anabolic
    endurance
    newsletter" that taught cyclists how to dope properly...

    Lieswyn was on like 10 different teams, what ever happened to Elliot
    Hubbard?
    Ok I'll stop

  3. "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Must be, because I see several names of local Lancaster/Philly riders on
    that list that I'm about 100% sure weren't pros (e.g., dave black, wayne
    work).

    I suspect that the list includes guys who, for whatever reason, were Cat Is
    who were able to race CoreStates in Philly that year....

    Independant pros back then, if you were tired of getting hammered by
    amateurs, you could cough up some cash and get really hammered by
    pros.

    Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
    nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...
    I know Boulder Co. people remember.

  4. I think at one point, all you needed was $600, and you could get
    yourself a PRO license. Forget the Cat 1 thing (that probably came
    later).

    Wow, lots of interesting names on that list. I even saw Micke Farr's
    name. What the heck ever happened to him. Last I remember, a bunch
    of you hotheads were after him for some jerseys he couldn't affor to
    print-up for you.

    [email hidden] (mike schatzman) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone into minor cycling team nostalgia like I am?
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa94.php
    Rob Palachick was a pro riding for Giant in 94, I didn't know that.
    Look at all those guys, I know some of those dudes,
    you could pretty much buy a pro license if you were a 1 right?

    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa93.php
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa97.php
    just change the year at the end of the thread, ever wonder who
    rode for Richbrau or Oil-Me Klein (the call it SOILME KLEIN, funny
    stuff, they were "suspended by UCI"😉
    There was an Indian Palace pro team?

    Is Oliver Starr related to Walker Starr? Oliver Starr is now a
    bodybuilding steroid guru, and published "underground anabolic
    endurance
    newsletter" that taught cyclists how to dope properly...

    Lieswyn was on like 10 different teams, what ever happened to Elliot
    Hubbard?
    Ok I'll stop

  5. "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >

    Quoted message said:

    Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
    nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...
    I know Boulder Co. people remember.

    He was (briefly) a topic of discussion here. Stalking (googling) should
    easily bring up the info.

  6. "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
    nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

    per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3f2f027a%241_4%40news.chariot.net.au

    Nobody ever answered my question it seems.

    Mark
    (has enough bonus-nostalgic-nerd points to upgrade to category 1)
    (also apparently some lame points for once (?) using cyclingforums)

  7. Mark Fennell () said:


    "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
    nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

    per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3f2f027a%241_4%40news.chariot.net.au

    i see you've followed his lead, fennelli

    heatherbella

  8. "h squared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark Fennell () said:


    "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
    nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

    per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,


    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3f2f027a%241_4%40news.chariot.net.au

    Quoted message said:

    i see you've followed his lead, fennelli

    heatherbella

    That's how dense I am... that coincidence (irony?) didn't even occur to me!

    Actually, the name is because my father-in-law is a big, bad, muscle-bound
    italian teamster and I thought he'd be less likely to go Tony Soprano on me
    if I told him my name was Marco Fennelli.

  9. I noticed Ashley Powell listed under Village Peddler, which is wrong,
    unless he was leading a double life, because he actually rode for the
    Cycle Center in '97. One of the best riders I've raced with, not too
    mention pretty nice off the bike.

    Chris Harnish
    Cycle Center Alumnist

    [email hidden] (mike schatzman) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone into minor cycling team nostalgia like I am?
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa94.php
    Rob Palachick was a pro riding for Giant in 94, I didn't know that.
    Look at all those guys, I know some of those dudes,
    you could pretty much buy a pro license if you were a 1 right?

    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa93.php
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa97.php
    just change the year at the end of the thread, ever wonder who
    rode for Richbrau or Oil-Me Klein (the call it SOILME KLEIN, funny
    stuff, they were "suspended by UCI"😉
    There was an Indian Palace pro team?

    Is Oliver Starr related to Walker Starr? Oliver Starr is now a
    bodybuilding steroid guru, and published "underground anabolic
    endurance
    newsletter" that taught cyclists how to dope properly...

    Lieswyn was on like 10 different teams, what ever happened to Elliot
    Hubbard?
    Ok I'll stop

  10. "Mark Fennell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<SHj%c.103683$4o.43134@fed1read01>...

    Quoted message said:

    "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
    nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

    per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3f2f027a%241_4%40news.chariot.net.au

    Nobody ever answered my question it seems.

    is it bad form to answer your own question?
    I'm not sure I may be getting my cycling trivia mixed up, so please
    correct me if any of this is mixed up, but:
    1) Tony Comfort (or Antonio Comforte) was a guy that the
    lead character of Breaking Away (Dave Stoller) was based on, he
    was a Boulder nutcase absolutely obsessed with all things cycling,
    Italian cycling in particular.
    2) Davis Phinney talks about a junior he raced with named Tony in his
    training book, as an example of what NOT to do as a junior, like
    500 mile weeks, because Tony Comfort apparently burnt out pretty bad.
    3) Finally, my own little addition, I found an old defunct National
    Goegraphic style magazine called GEO, from I think 1980 maybe, that
    was about cycling, the Coor Classic in particular, and had a whole
    article about Tony Comfort, about how he lived in a shed behind a bike
    shop,
    and pics of him riding a trainer in his little hovel filled with
    nothing but road bikes, Italian cycling posters and a cot. It said he
    was the inspiration for Dave Stoller, and that he won the CO. district
    road race, but that older riders said he was gonna burn out - he was
    an independant pro eventually, years later.

    So my next question is this: Where is Tony Comfort today? Anyone know?
    I care, seriously.

  11. Quoted message said:

    From: [email hidden] (mike schatzman)

    Quoted message said:

    It said he
    was the inspiration for Dave Stoller, and that he won the CO. district
    road race, but that older riders said he was gonna burn out - he was
    an independant pro eventually, years later.

    So my next question is this: Where is Tony Comfort today? Anyone know?
    I care, seriously.

    Mike you skirted the most important point. Coaches and Teams who will burn out
    and throw away 99 Jrs. to get 1 who goes Pro.
    There was a batch of behind the scenes [censored] with a serious Jr team
    recruiter/leader at GMSR that has really [censored] me off. This is someone I used
    to have a lot of respect for, but they made their priorities clear this
    weekend.
    Bill C

  12. ashley was a good ass bike rider... a great example of a guy that came along at
    the wrong time... he was the man for sure...

  13. [email hidden] (chris) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I noticed Ashley Powell listed under Village Peddler, which is wrong,
    unless he was leading a double life, because he actually rode for the
    Cycle Center in '97. One of the best riders I've raced with, not too
    mention pretty nice off the bike.

    Chris Harnish
    Cycle Center Alumnist


    I saw that velonews "off the back" he wrote about his racing back
    then,
    that was cool.
    what amazes me (I haven't been involved in cycling that long) is how
    LONG
    some of those dudes have been racing, 15 + years full-time racing on
    smallish teams, they must love racing. Also it's cool to see the
    development of small teams into larger ones, like 7-up that first year
    with corbett racing, cochran, wayne roth, it was a small team, but
    they stepped it up each year. Navigators had some strange rosters back
    in the day too, lots of english guys in the early to mid 90's too.
    Dave Mann, that Saab team. It's like having a complete Winning
    Magazine collection or something.
    Teams come and go so fast, it's cool to have it all it all down, they
    have it for other countries too - rosters for each country 89-98.
    Le Groupement was my favorite, Luc Leblanc, Robert Millar, and Graham
    Obree.

  14. "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure I may be getting my cycling trivia mixed up, so please
    correct me if any of this is mixed up, but:
    1) Tony Comfort (or Antonio Comforte) was a guy that the
    lead character of Breaking Away (Dave Stoller) was based on, he
    was a Boulder nutcase absolutely obsessed with all things cycling,
    Italian cycling in particular.

    Dave Stoller was based on Dave Blase. I don't know Blase's early personal
    history, but he's probably in his 60's now. He taught at Arlington High
    School in Indianapolis and used to race at least as recently as the 80's on
    the velodrome there. He's probably about the same age as Chuck Moll, Tom
    Lobdell, or Dave Mercer, other great masters riders from Indianapolis.

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (mike schatzman) said:

    Teams come and go so fast, it's cool to have it all it all down, they
    have it for other countries too - rosters for each country 89-98.
    Le Groupement was my favorite, Luc Leblanc, Robert Millar, and Graham
    Obree.

    I had a feeling back then that Le Groupement was going to tank - boy,
    did they! If I remember, they were done by July. I tried to find a LG hat
    back then, but never did. Jerseys were around, but that's not the same.
    Remember the team intro, with Leblanc dancing around in a giant sombrero?
    Pretty funny at the time, but a few months later, it sure wasn't.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
    Albert Einstein

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  16. "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Mark Fennell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<SHj%c.103683$4o.43134@fed1read01>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "mike schatzman" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
    nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

    per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,


    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3f2f027a%241_4%40news.chariot.net.au

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Nobody ever answered my question it seems.

    is it bad form to answer your own question?

    Perhaps, but dammit, I'm going to answer mine from the link above. Tony
    Comfort was on a jr team with Alexi Grewal, Ron Kiefel, and Steve Wood.
    There, closure.

  17. Yeah, he was definately there at the wrong time...A year, maybe two,
    later and we would probably still be reading his name in the results.
    Hi win at Thater was impressive, because he looked like some local
    dude winning a pro race.

    CH
    [email hidden] (erik saunders) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    ashley was a good ass bike rider... a great example of a guy that came along at
    the wrong time... he was the man for sure...

  18. [email hidden] (erik saunders) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    ashley was a good ass bike rider... a great example of a guy that came along at
    the wrong time... he was the man for sure...

    Ashley is a very cool guy. He can still rip the legs off of people,
    even though he doesn't ride much anymore. He's a freak of nature on
    the bike. He was also one of the better mountain bike racers in the
    Southeast back in the day. He's still coaching a lot of people around
    Greensboro, NC and the Southeast in general.

    Tom

  19. [email hidden] (TritonRider) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Mike you skirted the most important point. Coaches and Teams who will burn out
    and throw away 99 Jrs. to get 1 who goes Pro.
    There was a batch of behind the scenes [censored] with a serious Jr team
    recruiter/leader at GMSR that has really [censored] me off. This is someone I used
    to have a lot of respect for, but they made their priorities clear this
    weekend.
    Bill C

    Hey Bill, e-mail me off-online on this; I'm very curious........

    Thanks,
    Alan

  20. [email hidden] (erik saunders) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    ashley was a good ass bike rider... a great example of a guy that came along at
    the wrong time... he was the man for sure...

    Got smarts too. Went to a race with him once and we joked about how
    cyclists aren't rocket scientists. He then mentioned that he had
    studied physics in college and did an internship with NASA- and he was
    serious.

    Chris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.