here's the deal...the spare parts are no longer produced for these forks and Rock Shox doesn't support forks older than 3 years.
there are a few places like Hippie Tech that have SOME parts...but not all. personally, Hippie took waaaaaaaay too long with a 98 Judy SL i sent in. it took a MONTH to get an estimate.
another option is to find a perfectly working example on eBay. not likely but.....
or...just shock yourself into the new millenium and buy a new fork.
Rob said:
Rock Shox parts and Maintenance
I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.
I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.
I think what you're missing is the step where you loosen the bolts most of the way out and then rap them with a plastic mallet before removing the bolts the rest of the way and trying to separate the uppers and lowers.
Quoted message said:
I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
Where do I buy parts for these forks?
I don't think you would want to spend much money on parts for shocks this old. Unfortunately, in general, it seems like the cost of parts makes replacing parts in an overhaul not cost effective. If you can't get them functional with a rebuild that you do yourself, see if you can get something off of ebay. You might also find something there cheap you could cannibalize.
I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.
I think what you're missing is the step where you loosen the bolts most of the way out and then rap them with a plastic mallet before removing the bolts the rest of the way and trying to separate the uppers and lowers.
Quoted message said:
I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
Where do I buy parts for these forks?
I don't think you would want to spend much money on parts for shocks this old. Unfortunately, in general, it seems like the cost of parts makes replacing parts in an overhaul not cost effective. If you can't get them functional with a rebuild that you do yourself, see if you can get something off of ebay. You might also find something there cheap you could cannibalize.
It probably just needs a set of O rings and they'd be as good as new. What wears out in shox?
not that simple....this fork uses an elastomer and no oil. the only seals on this fork are the ones to keep dirt out. simply replacing them is hardly a fix.
lots of things wear out...bushings, bottom out bumpers, crush washers, comrpession shafts, snap rings, the wavy washers (so called by RS), elastomers, grease........
Friday said:
It probably just needs a set of O rings and they'd be as good as new. What wears out in shox?
I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.
I think what you're missing is the step where you loosen the bolts most of the way out and then rap them with a plastic mallet before removing the bolts the rest of the way and trying to separate the uppers and lowers.
That was the part I missed because I was unsure what was inside. But now there out and apart.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
Where do I buy parts for these forks?
I don't think you would want to spend much money on parts for shocks this old. Unfortunately, in general, it seems like the cost of parts makes replacing parts in an overhaul not cost effective. If you can't get them functional with a rebuild that you do yourself, see if you can get something off of ebay. You might also find something there cheap you could cannibalize.
Looks as if I will cast a set of elastomers for the forks. Which will be minimal cost.
I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.
I think what you're missing is the step where you loosen the bolts most of the way out and then rap them with a plastic mallet before removing the bolts the rest of the way and trying to separate the uppers and lowers.
That was the part I missed because I was unsure what was inside. But now there out and apart.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
Where do I buy parts for these forks?
I don't think you would want to spend much money on parts for shocks this old. Unfortunately, in general, it seems like the cost of parts makes replacing parts in an overhaul not cost effective. If you can't get them functional with a rebuild that you do yourself, see if you can get something off of ebay. You might also find something there cheap you could cannibalize.
Looks as if I will cast a set of elastomers for the forks. Which will be minimal cost.
if you find any, post up....i know several people who are looking too....
did you check for bushing slop?
the seals showed no signs of wear? was this fork used at all?
It probably just needs a set of O rings and they'd be as good as new. What wears out in shox?
Friday
The elastomers (spring) have perished and collapsed. One side has gone to powder.
All the top seals are OK. Bushes are OK.
I swapped some England (Englund?) Air cartridges in the Judys and fixed that right up.
One strong argument for rebuilding/fixing these versus getting new shocks it that every 3 years, the "standard" for suspension grows by about 1.5 cm. Originally forks had 45-50 cm of travel, then 63, now they're at 80 or 100. Putting an 80 mm fork on a frame that originally had a Judy (50 cm typically), makes it handle like a freaking chopper.