UK and Europe · Public discussion

road suspension seat posts for light rider

Started by Nigel Cliffe · · Last activity · 16 posts · 473 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
27 January 2006
Last activity
29 January 2006
Original author
Nigel Cliffe
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
473
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
    41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
    1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
    I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
    light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
    Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
    the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).

    Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  2. I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
    41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
    1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
    I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
    light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
    Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
    the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).

    Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  3. Nigel Cliffe said:

    I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
    41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
    1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
    I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
    light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
    Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
    the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).

    Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?

    - Nigel

    Nigel,

    We use a USE one on the back of the tandem, fitted with softer
    elastomers (bought for when the children were younger)

    --
    "You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

  4. Nigel Cliffe said:

    I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
    41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
    1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
    I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
    light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
    Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
    the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).

    Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?

    - Nigel

    Nigel,

    We use a USE one on the back of the tandem, fitted with softer
    elastomers (bought for when the children were younger)

    --
    "You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

  5. On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:33:02 -0000, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
    41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
    1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
    I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
    light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
    Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
    the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).

    Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?

    What about a sprung Brooks? Some of their ATB/Trekking saddles look to
    have as much travel as a suspension post, with the benefit of there
    being no mechanism, per se, to wear and get sloppy.

  6. Tim Binns said:

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:33:02 -0000, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about
    90lbs (6st6, 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat
    bars, etc. Tyres are
    1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so
    far I've only found two which seem to have the option of
    springs/elastomer for a light person; the USE Alien road model and
    the smaller Thudbuster model. Both are quite expensive (around 80
    pounds for the USE and around 110 for the Thudbuster once the
    elastomers are added).

    Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to
    pass on ?

    What about a sprung Brooks? Some of their ATB/Trekking saddles look to
    have as much travel as a suspension post, with the benefit of there
    being no mechanism, per se, to wear and get sloppy.

    Even worse for a light rider than suspension seat posts as there is no
    option of selecting the spring rates.
    The springs on any saddle are designed for average or above average weights
    (otherwise they'd collapse).

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  7. Nigel Cliffe said:

    I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
    41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
    1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
    I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
    light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
    Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
    the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).

    Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?

    - Nigel


    The seat post on my wife's Dawes has a collar that you turn to match the
    weight of the rider. No markings, but I just wound it up until the
    saddle just stayed up when she sat on it.

    I doubt that Dawes would fit a £80 post to a £450 bike.

  8. Nigel Cliffe said:

    I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs
    (6st6, 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc.
    Tyres are 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Consider wider tyres first as they will improve the natural suspension a
    lot (when inflated properly, ie. not too hard).

    If you do go for a sus post, make sure it allows sufficient set back (aka
    layback) if the saddle is currently slid back somewhat. Most suspension
    posts have inline saddle clamps.

    Warning: Post Modern Bracer Road has little effect with my 11ish stone on
    it on-road, even at the softest setting.

    ~PB

  9. Pete Biggs said:
    Nigel Cliffe said:

    I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs
    (6st6, 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc.
    Tyres are 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Consider wider tyres first as they will improve the natural
    suspension a lot (when inflated properly, ie. not too hard).

    Considering that, though many come at considerable weight penalty.

    If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims, they
    would be welcome.

    We run the 1.3's at moderate pressures; nearer 50-60lbs rather than the
    80-100 which average weight riders might select.

    Quoted message said:

    If you do go for a sus post, make sure it allows sufficient set back
    (aka layback) if the saddle is currently slid back somewhat. Most
    suspension posts have inline saddle clamps.

    Yes, aware of that.

    Quoted message said:

    Warning: Post Modern Bracer Road has little effect with my 11ish
    stone on it on-road, even at the softest setting.

    Thanks. Another "long shot" crossed off the list.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  10. in message <[email hidden]>, Nigel Cliffe

    (') said:
    Pete Biggs said:
    Nigel Cliffe said:

    I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs
    (6st6, 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc.
    Tyres are 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

    Consider wider tyres first as they will improve the natural
    suspension a lot (when inflated properly, ie. not too hard).

    Considering that, though many come at considerable weight penalty.

    If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
    they would be welcome.

    Nokian AWS. Ride well and have a seriously cool tread pattern :-)

    I'm currently using a Specialized Fat Boy slick on the turbo trainer, and
    it seems OK at least for that use. Don't know what it would be like on
    the road.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

  11. Simon Brooke said:
    Quoted message said:

    If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
    they would be welcome.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm currently using a Specialized Fat Boy slick on the turbo trainer, and
    it seems OK at least for that use. Don't know what it would be like on
    the road.

    I've used fatboys on road and i'll be returning to them after a mixed
    experience with conti contact sports. I like the fatboys very much,
    although they are thinner tyres (1.25) than the 1.5 the OP asked
    about. They seem relatively light and at 100psi feel quick and grip
    well. They get a thumbs up from me anyway.

    "Bob"
    --

    Email address is spam trapped, to reply directly remove the beverage.

  12. Call me Bob said:
    Simon Brooke said:
    Quoted message said:

    If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
    they would be welcome.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm currently using a Specialized Fat Boy slick on the turbo
    trainer, and it seems OK at least for that use. Don't know what it
    would be like on the road.

    I've used fatboys on road and i'll be returning to them after a mixed
    experience with conti contact sports. I like the fatboys very much,
    although they are thinner tyres (1.25) than the 1.5 the OP asked
    about. They seem relatively light and at 100psi feel quick and grip
    well. They get a thumbs up from me anyway.

    Currently using Fatboys. Ours are labelled 1.3in, and have a yellow wall,
    whereas current ones appear to be black, but I doubt the difference makes
    much odds.

    As the comment was to fit fatter tyres, I asked for suggestions.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  13. in message <[email hidden]>, Nigel Cliffe

    (') said:
    Call me Bob said:


    I've used fatboys on road and i'll be returning to them after a mixed
    experience with conti contact sports. I like the fatboys very much,
    although they are thinner tyres (1.25) than the 1.5 the OP asked
    about. They seem relatively light and at 100psi feel quick and grip
    well. They get a thumbs up from me anyway.

    Currently using Fatboys. Ours are labelled 1.3in, and have a yellow
    wall, whereas current ones appear to be black, but I doubt the
    difference makes much odds.

    As the comment was to fit fatter tyres, I asked for suggestions.

    Nokian AWS! Available in 1.5 or 2.1 inch, semi-slick, roll well (at much
    less than 100psi), look cool.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    .::;===r==\
    / /___||___\____
    //==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
    //____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
    \__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

  14. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Nigel Cliffe

    (') said:
    Call me Bob said:


    I've used fatboys on road and i'll be returning to them after a mixed
    experience with conti contact sports. I like the fatboys very much,
    although they are thinner tyres (1.25) than the 1.5 the OP asked
    about. They seem relatively light and at 100psi feel quick and grip
    well. They get a thumbs up from me anyway.

    Currently using Fatboys. Ours are labelled 1.3in, and have a yellow
    wall, whereas current ones appear to be black, but I doubt the
    difference makes much odds.

    As the comment was to fit fatter tyres, I asked for suggestions.

    Nokian AWS! Available in 1.5 or 2.1 inch, semi-slick, roll well (at much
    less than 100psi), look cool.

    seconded. Top kit. Those and city jets are my slicks of choice.
    Little[1] brother rides on fatboy 2.1s and likes them.

    ...d

    [1] strictly only younger.

  15. Nigel Cliffe said:
    Call me Bob said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    >If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
    >they would be welcome.

    Scwalbe 'Big Apple' every time, very well regarded by recumbent trikers
    who really appreciate the suspension effect and generally regarded as
    quite a fast tyre. Will have a much better suspension efect than a
    seatpost. Availiable in 2" and 2.5"

    Alex

  16. Nigel Cliffe said:

    If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
    they would be welcome.

    Schwalbe City Jet 1.5 -- not super light but still quite quick, IME. Not
    as heavy as some though, thanks to skin sidewalls.

    Pananracer Pasela 1.75 -- I've no experience of it in this size but I know
    the model is good from the 700C ones I have used. 500 grams according to
    SJSC (also available at Wiggle).

    ~PB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.