Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Road Bike w/ XTR Rear Der. & STI - Problems?

Started by Peter Jarich · · Last activity · 9 posts · 649 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 May 2003
Last activity
13 May 2003
Original author
Peter Jarich
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
649
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped road bike?

    Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would offer.
    For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with greater than
    27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes painful shifting of a
    road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k. with this for the rarity of
    tackling big hills.

    Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?

    Thanks.

    Peter [email hidden]

  2. "Peter Jarich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    road bike?

    Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would offer.
    For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with greater than
    27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes painful shifting of a
    road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k. with this for the rarity
    of tackling big hills.

    Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?

    Thanks.

    I'd just run a long-cage Ultegra derailleur ( RD 6500 GS ). Shifting performance would be better as
    the der is designed to work with the STI levers.

  3. "WiSCOTTsin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Peter Jarich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    road bike?

    Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would
    offer. For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with
    greater than 27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes
    painful shifting of a road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k.
    with this for the rarity of tackling big hills.

    Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?

    Thanks.

    I'd just run a long-cage Ultegra derailleur ( RD 6500 GS ). Shifting performance would be better
    as the der is designed to work with the STI levers.

    Oops, I see your post stated "larger than 27t" - after looking, I see that the max is 27t for the
    long cage ultegra. My bad.

  4. Peter Jarich asked:

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    road bike?

    No, all Shimano rear derailers index the same since 1997.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would offer.
    For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with greater than
    27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes painful shifting of a
    road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k. with this for the rarity
    of tackling big hills.

    Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?

    An anonymous poster suggested:

    Quoted message said:

    I'd just run a long-cage Ultegra derailleur ( RD 6500 GS ). Shifting performance would be better
    as the der is designed to work with the STI levers.

    I haven't read the whole thread. If Peter doesn't already have a rear derailer, there's no downside
    to buying an XT.

    If he already has an Ultegra, however, it isn't necessary to replace it just 'cause he wants
    something lower than 27. Any Shimano rear derailer will handle a 30 tooth in back.

    See: sheldonbrown.comgloss ca m.html

    Sheldon "Waste Not" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    | Always listen to the experts. | They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. | Then do it.
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  5. "Peter Jarich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    road bike?

    Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would offer.
    For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with greater than
    27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes painful shifting of a
    road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k. with this for the rarity
    of tackling big hills.

    Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?

    That's a popular setup and works just fine.

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  6. Peter-<< Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    road bike?

    Nope-

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. Lupis-<< I'd just run a long-cage Ultegra derailleur ( RD 6500 GS ). Shifting performance would be
    better as the der is designed to work with the STI levers.

    MTB rear ders from shimano are also designed for use with STI(shimano total integration)...

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  8. Peter Jarich said:

    Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped road bike?

    No, provided it's not over about 5 years old - the cable pull has been the same for some time. I
    have a very cheap Tourney offroad rear derailleur on my bike - quite frankly these days all
    derailleurs are much of a muchness provided they have the capacity.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!

  9. No, you shouldn't have a problem. Many tandems, for example, are spec'd that way from the factory.
    Our Santana road tandem has Ultegra 9 speed levers with an XTR rear derailleur and an XT 11-34
    cogset (chainrings are 24-38-48 with an Ultegra FD).

    Brian

    [email hidden] (Peter Jarich) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    road bike?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.