Road Cycling · Public discussion

Road Bike Tire Recomendations

Started by JJ · · Last activity · 8 posts · 555 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
4 May 2006
Last activity
5 May 2006
Original author
JJ
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
555
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I use my road bike for commuting as well as fast pased rec riding. I
    need a tire that will hold up to glass and gravel but want something
    light. Any recomendations? I currently have bontriger race x-lites, I
    have considered continental gatorskins but would prefer a lighter tire.
    Thanks

  2. "JJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I use my road bike for commuting as well as fast pased rec riding. I
    need a tire that will hold up to glass and gravel but want something
    light. Any recomendations? I currently have bontriger race x-lites, I
    have considered continental gatorskins but would prefer a lighter tire.
    Thanks

    I've been using Conti GP4000s for a while now, and am quite impressed. Given
    that they are a racing tyre, they're extemely durable and cut resistant.
    Much better than my previous tyre of choice, the Michelin Pro2 Race.

    Quoted message said:
  3. Here is my very limited piece of experience:

    Used conti GP3000 and at one point on my commute I saw glass (beer
    bootle) on the road and thought that I should not go there but too
    late. A few hundred metters later, I had a flat. The tires were
    roughly new...

    Used Michelin Pro-Race 2 for a few month and about 1000 km (sometimes
    under wet weather) and no flat so far. I have been riding a few times
    on gravel and on glass (from car glass I suspect). The surface of the
    tyre has some small marks (what I would expect from a tiny piece of
    glass) of somethings trying to get inside and creating a flat but
    apparently the somethings were sent away from the tyre before creating
    the flat. The flat rate of the Michelin is rather low for my standarts.

    Herve

  4. JJ said:

    I use my road bike for commuting as well as fast pased rec riding. I
    need a tire that will hold up to glass and gravel but want something
    light. Any recomendations? I currently have bontriger race x-lites, I
    have considered continental gatorskins but would prefer a lighter tire.

    I've been running the Panaracer T-Serv tires for a couple years now,
    and think they fit the bill. I'm not sure they're any lighter than
    the Gatorskins - though anything lighter won't be up to the "glass and
    gravel" challenge, IMHO.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  5. After just too many cuts I switched from Mich Pro Race 2's to
    Vredestein Fortezas and so far am very happy. They are a little bit
    heavier but handle quite well and so far no flats. I swithced on the
    rec of a friend who has been running them pretty trouble free for about
    a year.

  6. JJ said:

    I use my road bike for commuting as well as fast pased rec riding. I
    need a tire that will hold up to glass and gravel but want something
    light. Any recomendations? I currently have bontriger race x-lites, I
    have considered continental gatorskins but would prefer a lighter tire.

    The folding version of Continental Ultra GatorSkin isn't that heavy, but
    about the same as most 23-mm racing tyres. Also, you can get the Grand
    Prix 4-season, which is more or less the same tyre as well but slightly
    lighter. I know a lot people including myself using the 4-season in
    adverse conditions with good results.

    -as

  7. JJ says...

    Quoted message said:

    I use my road bike for commuting as well as fast pased rec riding. I
    need a tire that will hold up to glass and gravel but want something
    light. Any recomendations? I currently have bontriger race x-lites, I
    have considered continental gatorskins but would prefer a lighter tire.
    Thanks

    I second the Conti GP 4-Season. Very light, but extra protection
    compared to a race tire, and you can get them in 28's.

  8. Quoted message said:

    I use my road bike for commuting as well as fast pased rec riding. I
    need a tire that will hold up to glass and gravel but want something
    light. Any recomendations? I currently have bontriger race x-lites, I
    have considered continental gatorskins but would prefer a lighter tire.
    Thanks

    I've tried a lot of tires, but have to say that I've been happiest with the
    current (Thailand manufactured?) version of the Bontrager Race X-Lite. I get
    great wear out of them and virtually zero flats... WHEN IT'S DRY. Wet
    weather is a different story; for that, I use Continental GP-4 Seasons. I
    also go from 23c on the Race X-Lites to 25 on GP-4 Seasons, figuring I want
    more rubber on the ground when it's wet. So far, this strategy has worked
    very well.

    Are you having issues with your Bontragers? One thing I've never figured out
    are my customers who want to switch tires, just because. I ask them what
    they've been using, and whether they've had problems with them. Most often
    they'll tell me their present tires work fine, they just want to try
    something different. In my book, stick with what works, for as long as it
    works. When you start having issues, that's the time to switch to something
    else. But why change from a winner? Of course, you probably wouldn't be
    asking the question if you weren't having some problems. Or hopefully not!
    :>😉

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.