UK and Europe · Public discussion

Road bike recommendations - what should I look for?

Started by Richard Jonas · · Last activity · 7 posts · 364 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 December 2004
Last activity
6 December 2004
Original author
Richard Jonas
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
364
Views / 30 days
11

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've recently got my old mountain bike out of the shed in an effort to
    keep fit, and I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying cycling again.

    I'd like to upgrade this to a road bike. I was thinking of spending
    about 500 UKP. This would be used mainly for weekend riding.

    I'm not really strong on maintenance, so I'd prefer something that is
    reasonably sturdily built and that I don't have to constantly fix.
    However, I don't think I'm ever going to be carrying luggage or
    commuting to work in my best suit, so I wouldn't want something that's
    weighed down by luggage racks and heavy mudguards etc.

    Are there any models that people would recommend or recommend me to
    avoid? I was going to visit my local bike shops and see what's
    available. Are there any questions I should be asking them?

    Also, when I'm a bit fitter, I'd like to join a local club and take
    part in group rides. What sort of standard would I need to aim for so
    as not to hold everyone up too much (how far would these be, and how
    long would they typically take)?

    Thanks
    Richard

  2. Richard Jonas said:

    I've recently got my old mountain bike out of the shed in an effort to
    keep fit, and I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying cycling again.

    I'd like to upgrade this to a road bike. I was thinking of spending
    about 500 UKP. This would be used mainly for weekend riding.

    Interesting that you see a road bike as an upgrade.

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not really strong on maintenance, so I'd prefer something that is
    reasonably sturdily built and that I don't have to constantly fix.
    However, I don't think I'm ever going to be carrying luggage or
    commuting to work in my best suit, so I wouldn't want something that's
    weighed down by luggage racks and heavy mudguards etc.

    Mudguards these days are very light and jolly useful

    Quoted message said:


    Are there any models that people would recommend or recommend me to
    avoid? I was going to visit my local bike shops and see what's
    available. Are there any questions I should be asking them?

    My mate spent £500 on a Lemond which looked OK for the money, I can't
    guarantee that it will be maintenance free though. I wouldn't call it
    sturdy but it is unlikely to fall apart so long as its looked after,
    that is maintained.

    Quoted message said:


    Also, when I'm a bit fitter, I'd like to join a local club and take
    part in group rides. What sort of standard would I need to aim for so
    as not to hold everyone up too much (how far would these be, and how
    long would they typically take)?


    That depends on the club, they might prefer if you have mudguards in the
    winter too.

  3. "Richard Jonas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've recently got my old mountain bike out of the shed in an effort to
    keep fit, and I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying cycling again.

    I'd like to upgrade this to a road bike. I was thinking of spending
    about 500 UKP. This would be used mainly for weekend riding.

    I'm not really strong on maintenance, so I'd prefer something that is
    reasonably sturdily built and that I don't have to constantly fix.
    However, I don't think I'm ever going to be carrying luggage or
    commuting to work in my best suit, so I wouldn't want something that's
    weighed down by luggage racks and heavy mudguards etc.

    Road bikes are much more fun than MTBs on tarmac because you can go a lot
    faster for the same effort. I bought a flat bar road bike to join friends on
    local road rides - a Dawes Giro 200. It has a triple chainring - important
    in Mid-Wales if you are not extra strong. I paid 270 ukp at Halesowen
    cycles - but there is one on eBay, brand new, starting at 150 ukp.

    You could get such a bike to use through the winter and by summer time you
    would have a much better idea of what you would be looking for in a more
    expensive road bike.

    Mudguards are a good thing, mine cost 15 ukp and don't seem very heavy.

    John

  4. "Richard Jonas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've recently got my old mountain bike out of the shed in an effort to
    keep fit, and I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying cycling again.

    I'd like to upgrade this to a road bike. I was thinking of spending
    about 500 UKP. This would be used mainly for weekend riding.

    I'm not really strong on maintenance, so I'd prefer something that is
    reasonably sturdily built and that I don't have to constantly fix.
    However, I don't think I'm ever going to be carrying luggage or
    commuting to work in my best suit, so I wouldn't want something that's
    weighed down by luggage racks and heavy mudguards etc.

    Are there any models that people would recommend or recommend me to
    avoid? I was going to visit my local bike shops and see what's
    available. Are there any questions I should be asking them?

    Also, when I'm a bit fitter, I'd like to join a local club and take
    part in group rides. What sort of standard would I need to aim for so
    as not to hold everyone up too much (how far would these be, and how
    long would they typically take)?

    Thanks
    Richard

    You could do a lot worse than a Specialised Allez, this years model is now
    being marked down to around £450. My husband bought one about 6 months ago
    for short (I.e up to 20 miles) day rides and trips to the pub. It has a lot
    of own brand stuff on it but all seems to be running well - I was surprised
    how smoothly the hubs run. It has concealed mounting points for a pannier
    and if you needed mudguards you could always fit SKS racebldes. It comes
    with a choice of double or triple chainset - Dudley chose the triple.
    Generally it seems to me to be good value for money and good enough for a
    club run/entry level racing. The only downside we have found is the paint
    finish is a bit fragile.

    HTH
    Julia

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, Richard

    Jonas (') said:

    I've recently got my old mountain bike out of the shed in an effort to
    keep fit, and I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying cycling again.

    I'd like to upgrade this to a road bike. I was thinking of spending
    about 500 UKP. This would be used mainly for weekend riding.

    I'm not really strong on maintenance, so I'd prefer something that is
    reasonably sturdily built and that I don't have to constantly fix.
    However, I don't think I'm ever going to be carrying luggage or
    commuting to work in my best suit, so I wouldn't want something that's
    weighed down by luggage racks and heavy mudguards etc.

    Are there any models that people would recommend or recommend me to
    avoid? I was going to visit my local bike shops and see what's
    available. Are there any questions I should be asking them?

    I'm a bit snobby about Specialized as a brand, but I have seen some very
    good value for money Specialized bikes recently, particularly Allez
    models. Also there are some remarkably nice Claud Butlers, including
    the Milano which even has (bottom of the range) Campag kit and carbon
    forks for under £500

    Quoted message said:

    Also, when I'm a bit fitter, I'd like to join a local club and take
    part in group rides. What sort of standard would I need to aim for so
    as not to hold everyone up too much (how far would these be, and how
    long would they typically take)?

    Depends on the club. We do 'fast' runs on Saturdays which run to about
    16-18mph average; on Sunday runs (when on the road) probably more like
    14mph. Typically less than 20mph. More sporting clubs will go faster
    and further.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

  6. Quoted message said:

    I'm not really strong on maintenance, so I'd prefer something that is
    reasonably sturdily built and that I don't have to constantly fix.

    Shouldn't have to *constantly* fix a bike that's being used on road. Or what
    are you planning to do to it that means it will need it?;-)

    Quoted message said:

    However, I don't think I'm ever going to be carrying luggage or
    commuting to work in my best suit, so I wouldn't want something that's
    weighed down by luggage racks and heavy mudguards etc.

    Mudguards are *extremely* useful for keeping road [censored] off you in winter. Once
    you've ridden a few miles with road cak up your backside, you may change your
    mind about mudguards.

    snippity...

    Shop around - visit bike shops, get a hold of copies of Cycling + & Cycling
    Weekly, read and inwardly digest contents of adverts. Do not buy the first bike
    you see - if it's the right one, you can always come back to it. Get a bike
    that fits you. Comfort is essential. Get the highest spec you can afford on
    your budget.

    As for clubs - what is expected depends on the club really. Where are you
    located?

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  7. Thanks to everyone who replied to this.

    I'll certainly get hold of copies of these magazines and see if I can find
    anywhere locally where I can take a look at the Lemond, Specialized Allez,
    Claud Butler Milano and Dawes Giro, and see which would be most comfortable,
    and get some mudguards fitted.

    I live in Hertfordshire (near Hertford).

    Richard

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm not really strong on maintenance, so I'd prefer something that is
    reasonably sturdily built and that I don't have to constantly fix.

    Shouldn't have to *constantly* fix a bike that's being used on road. Or
    what
    are you planning to do to it that means it will need it?;-)

    Quoted message said:

    However, I don't think I'm ever going to be carrying luggage or
    commuting to work in my best suit, so I wouldn't want something that's
    weighed down by luggage racks and heavy mudguards etc.

    Mudguards are *extremely* useful for keeping road [censored] off you in winter.
    Once
    you've ridden a few miles with road cak up your backside, you may change
    your
    mind about mudguards.

    snippity...

    Shop around - visit bike shops, get a hold of copies of Cycling + &
    Cycling
    Weekly, read and inwardly digest contents of adverts. Do not buy the first
    bike
    you see - if it's the right one, you can always come back to it. Get a
    bike
    that fits you. Comfort is essential. Get the highest spec you can afford
    on
    your budget.

    As for clubs - what is expected depends on the club really. Where are you
    located?

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched
    off--

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.