Cycling Training · Public discussion

Riding in the Rain- what Eye protection?

Started by jitteringjr · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,280 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
3 August 2004
Last activity
30 September 2004
Original author
jitteringjr
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,280
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Its been raining so often here that I have to ride in the rain lately. I used to love running in the rain when I was running all the time, but on a road bike, the higher speeds causes an issue.

    The only problem I have with riding in the rain is a vision one. If I wear eyewear, it gets fogged up and coated with drops and I can't see where I'm going. (Ever drive your car in the rain and not use the wipers?) If I skip the eye wear, the 25+ mph rain pelts me in the eyes and makes me squint so badly that I can't see without them either.

    What is everyone’s trick to this issue?

  2. jitteringjr said:

    Its been raining so often here that I have to ride in the rain lately. I used to love running in the rain when I was running all the time, but on a road bike, the higher speeds causes an issue.

    The only problem I have with riding in the rain is a vision one. If I wear eyewear, it gets fogged up and coated with drops and I can't see where I'm going. (Ever drive your car in the rain and not use the wipers?) If I skip the eye wear, the 25+ mph rain pelts me in the eyes and makes me squint so badly that I can't see without them either.

    What is everyone’s trick to this issue?


    I've found that using the visor on my helmet allows riding without glasses in the summer rain. After fogging up last Saturday, I pulled my glasses off and rode for about an hour without a problem. I know it's not smart to ride without eye protection, but the visor seems to deflect wind and grit away from the eyes.

    On sunny days, the visor keeps a lot of sun off the face. I'm fair-skinned, and it's great to finish a long ride without a burnt nose or hot burnt face.

    I know they don't look racy, but would recommend trying the visor on your helmet.

  3. jitteringjr said:

    Its been raining so often here that I have to ride in the rain lately. I used to love running in the rain when I was running all the time, but on a road bike, the higher speeds causes an issue.

    The only problem I have with riding in the rain is a vision one. If I wear eyewear, it gets fogged up and coated with drops and I can't see where I'm going. (Ever drive your car in the rain and not use the wipers?) If I skip the eye wear, the 25+ mph rain pelts me in the eyes and makes me squint so badly that I can't see without them either.

    What is everyone’s trick to this issue?

    you can anti-mist your glasses...clear, yellow or Tek Red (Rudy) work best in rainy or low light conditions. they shouldn't fog too much if you are in motion anyway.

    I've never had a problem looking thourgh the droplets though. They tend to reach a certain level then join up and roll off, or the wind blows them off.

  4. By clear lenses and apply Rain-X. Always keep a small chamois in a ziplock bag to clean out dirt. Rain-X should bead the rain allowing it to run.

  5. I use a pair of Liquid Spectrums with yellow lenses. They are made by Slick Eyewear. They hug my face and have enough of a bubble shape that the water sheets off of them very well. At under $30US I couldn't be happier with them. 😎

  6. ed073 said:

    you can anti-mist your glasses...clear, yellow or Tek Red (Rudy) work best in rainy or low light conditions. they shouldn't fog too much if you are in motion anyway.

    I've never had a problem looking thourgh the droplets though. They tend to reach a certain level then join up and roll off, or the wind blows them off.

    True. There seems to be a "critical mass" for droplets, then they just blow off.

    Oh yeah.....Rudys are THE BEST glasses. 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.