rec.bicycles.soc archive · Public discussion

riding in the rain how to do it well?

Started by Steve Knight · · Last activity · 25 posts · 3,985 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.soc archive
Published
10 September 2003
Last activity
8 October 2003
Original author
Steve Knight
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,985
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. here in portland oregon it will start raining soon. I have been riding to work and sometimes back
    every day. but I am debating on riding in the rain. years ago I did it and it was a pain. I have a
    racing bike and it is not made for regular fenders. I could use a clamp on one for back but a bold
    on front guard won't work. good rain gear is a must but I want something I will not roast in. how to
    geek my glasses dry? and my shoes?

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  2. Steve Knight said:

    I have a racing bike and it is not made for regular fenders. I could use a clamp on one for back
    but a bold on front guard won't work.

    Well, fenders are a must for riding in the rain, so you need to get a bike that accepts fenders or
    you need to cobble something together. Depending on how nice your racing bike is, you might want
    another "rain bike" that you don't mind getting wet.

    Quoted message said:

    good rain gear is a must but I want something I will not roast in.

    I use a poncho. I've tried wearing a rain suit designed for cyclists, and even with all the vents
    open, I roast.

    Quoted message said:

    how to geek my glasses dry? and my shoes?

    I have no experience with glasses, but I can't think of a practical way to keep them dry without
    impairing your vision.

    To protect your shoes, stick your feet in plastic bags and use rubber bands (or the clips/straps
    designed to keep your pants leg out of the chain) to hold them in place.
    --
    Darin McGrew, [email hidden], rahul.netmcgrew Web Design Group,
    [email hidden], htmlhelp.comhtmlhelp.com

    "Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty." - Stanislaw J. Lee

  3. Steve Knight <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    here in portland oregon it will start raining soon. I have been riding to work and sometimes back
    every day. but I am debating on riding in the rain. years ago I did it and it was a pain. I have a
    racing bike and it is not made for regular fenders. I could use a clamp on one for back but a bold
    on front guard won't work. good rain gear is a must but I want something I will not roast in. how
    to geek my glasses dry? and my shoes?

    Get a helmet with a visor. You will be amazed at how much it helps keep the rain off the glasses.

    [censored] "the part-time neanderthal who wishes he had enough money to afford a Steve Knight
    plane" Durbin

  4. ...stuff deleted

    Quoted message said:

    Well, fenders are a must for riding in the rain, so you need to get a bike that accepts fenders or
    you need to cobble something together. Depending


    on

    Quoted message said:

    how nice your racing bike is, you might want another "rain bike" that you don't mind getting wet.

    While I rode for years on a racing bike without fenders during my commute, I must admit that they do
    make the cycling more pleasant. Like you, I tried the plastic rain gear and found it was stifling. I
    did receive the most wonderful polyester pullover, however, which keeps me warm in all kinds of
    weather. I often wear it in place of my cycling jersey on days when it is very wet.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    good rain gear is a must but I want something I will not roast in.

    I use a poncho. I've tried wearing a rain suit designed for cyclists, and even with all the vents
    open, I roast.

    Otherwise, I use standard cycling fare. No cotton, of course, and polypro socks are essential.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    how to geek my glasses dry? and my shoes?

    I have no experience with glasses, but I can't think of a practical way to keep them dry without
    impairing your vision.

    I can't help you either with glasses. Eyes have deteriorated only to 20-15 after all these years. I
    feel like I'm going blind, but I don't get much sympathy.

    Quoted message said:

    To protect your shoes, stick your feet in plastic bags and use rubber


    bands

    Quoted message said:

    (or the clips/straps designed to keep your pants leg out of the chain) to hold them in place.
    --

    I tried the plastic bags and gave up on them. Much more trouble than they're worth. The synthetic
    socks, however, work great for me. The wet shoes are no fun at the end of the day, but the socks dry
    out quickly (especially if placed to dry in a warm location) and compensate for the initial chill as
    you dress at the end of the day.

    Another advantage is that bicycles can go through puddles and localized urban flooding that stops
    motor vehicles. I've ridden through some pretty deep water during my rides that the cars simply
    could not traverse. Since I was wearing synthetic clothes that didn't give up the ghost when wet, I
    didn't mind wading through 3 feet of water with the bike held high enough to protect it (shuffle the
    feet, however, as you don't want to step on objects you cannot see). Also, don't cross moving water
    (just in case you are tempted to do so) of appreciable depth (up to 12-18 inches is usually ok,
    though fast moving water that is shallower can also be dangerous).

    Rick

  5. O

    Quoted message said:

    Well, fenders are a must for riding in the rain, so you need to get a bike that accepts fenders or
    you need to cobble something together. Depending on how nice your racing bike is, you might want
    another "rain bike" that you don't mind getting wet.

    the components are a little different here is the bike
    racycles.comcasati ellisse genius 2038691.htm but here in portland I would
    never be able to ride it if I had to ride a rain bike (G) plus I can't afford one. I won't say how
    great of a price I got this bike.

    Quoted message said:

    I use a poncho. I've tried wearing a rain suit designed for cyclists, and even with all the vents
    open, I roast.

    I wonder if the really spendy ones work better? but I would be looking at 200.00

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  6. Quoted message said:

    Get a helmet with a visor. You will be amazed at how much it helps keep the rain off the glasses.

    even at 30mph?

    Quoted message said:

    [censored] "the part-time neanderthal who wishes he had enough money to afford a Steve Knight
    plane" Durbin

    (G) I wish I could afford all of the bicycling gear I need.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  7. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:01:12 GMT, Steve Knight <[email hidden]> from

    Knight-toolworks said:

    (G) I wish I could afford all of the bicycling gear I need.

    Fabrizzio isn't kidding when he says max out all your credit cards.

    --
    home.sport.rr.comcuthulu human rights = peace YOU!! Give me the CUTEST, PINKEST, most
    charming little VICTORIAN DOLLHOUSE you can find!! An make it SNAPPY!!
    1:24:04 AM 11 September 2003

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, Steve Knight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I use a poncho. I've tried wearing a rain suit designed for cyclists, and even with all the vents
    open, I roast.

    I wonder if the really spendy ones work better? but I would be looking at 200.00

    I get by quite well with a cyclist's rain cape as described at:
    bikexprt.comchapter8a.htm

    It cost me all of $25 CDN. It's nice & cool. Mitigates the drivetrain getting all icky, too. It's
    not a perfect solution, though -- it obviates making arm signals, for one thing.

    An occasional application of Scotch Gard keeps it rain resistant.

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

  9. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:25:02 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email hidden]/\/\>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    (G) I wish I could afford all of the bicycling gear I need.

    Fabrizzio isn't kidding when he says max out all your credit cards.

    I don't need a lot. but I need shoes night riding lights rain gear.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  10. Have you tried to put fenders on your road bike using long zip ties? That's what I use to do on my
    road bike. Works better than you would think. This assumes you have enough clearance between your
    tires and brakes.

    For cool/cold weather rain gear, my standard for years was a Campmore rain cape; inexpensive
    breathable, waterproof overpants; and Burley zip-on shoe covers.

    If you are real cheap, I've seen people modify a regular pancho into a rain cape using duck tape to
    tape in the pancho where it might get in your way on a bike.

    The rain cape works well for ventilation, but I find it annoying having to ride in a certain
    position to keep the air flow going.

    Recently, I've started using a Performance waterproof/breathable rain jacket. With all the vents
    open I am not uncomfortable, although I don't ride all out on my commutes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Get a helmet with a visor. You will be amazed at how much it helps keep the rain off the glasses.


    It helps a little, but not a lot. I have real trouble when it is dark and my glasses are covered
    with rain drops. All the tail lights and headlights reflecting off the drops make it very hard to
    see. I've tried putting coatings on the lenses to force the rain to sheet off ( you know, the
    automotive windshield product) and that helped some, but test your lenses first to make sure it
    doesn't damage them.

    -Peter

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, the robotic servitors of
    [email hidden] (Peter Rosenfed) rose up with the following chant:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Get a helmet with a visor. You will be amazed at how much it helps keep the rain off the
    glasses.

    It helps a little, but not a lot.

    That's because helmets have a little visor, not a lot. For rainy occasions, I stuff a baseball cap
    under the helmet, or even a full-fledged floppy rain hat if I've thought far enough ahead.

    -------- Scott Eiler B{D> -------- eilertech.comeilertech.com --------

    "Do not mistake my childlike appearance for innocence of any kind. 'Form of Boy' is well-known as
    the most feared battle-shape in Paradise." -- The angel Asmodel, from "JLA: Paradise Lost" scripted
    by Mark Millar.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, the robotic servitors of
    [email hidden] (Peter Rosenfed) rose up with the following chant:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Get a helmet with a visor. You will be amazed at how much it helps keep the rain off the
    glasses.

    It helps a little, but not a lot.

    That's because helmets have a little visor, not a lot. For rainy occasions, I stuff a baseball cap
    under the helmet, or even a full-fledged floppy rain hat if I've thought far enough ahead.

    -------- Scott Eiler B{D> -------- eilertech.comeilertech.com --------

    "Do not mistake my childlike appearance for innocence of any kind. 'Form of Boy' is well-known as
    the most feared battle-shape in Paradise." -- The angel Asmodel, from "JLA: Paradise Lost" scripted
    by Mark Millar.

  13. Quoted message said:

    Have you tried to put fenders on your road bike using long zip ties? That's what I use to do on my
    road bike. Works better than you would think. This assumes you have enough clearance between your
    tires and br

    not yet I am in the research phase of thing (G)

    Quoted message said:

    For cool/cold weather rain gear, my standard for years was a Campmore rain cape; inexpensive
    breathable, waterproof overpants; and Burley zip-on shoe covers.

    right now I am too lazy to wear riding pants. I hate changing cloths so I just wear my work pants.

    Quoted message said:

    It helps a little, but not a lot. I have real trouble when it is dark and my glasses are covered
    with rain drops. All the tail lights and headlights reflecting off the drops make it very hard to
    see. I've tried putting coatings on the lenses to force the rain to sheet off ( you know, the
    automotive windshield product) and that helped some, but test your lenses first to make sure it
    doesn't damage them.

    the baseball cap is a good idea. how about goggles that will go over your face with glasses on?

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  14. Steve Knight said:

    the baseball cap is a good idea. how about goggles that will go over your face with glasses on?

    Wouldn't the goggles get wet and obscure your vision just as much as wet glasses would?
    --
    Darin McGrew, [email hidden], rahul.netmcgrew Web Design Group,
    [email hidden], htmlhelp.comhtmlhelp.com

    "It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit..."

  15. Darin McGrew said:
    Steve Knight said:

    the baseball cap is a good idea. how about goggles that will go over your face with glasses on?

    Quoted message said:

    Wouldn't the goggles get wet and obscure your vision just as much as wet glasses would?

    This is not exactly parallel, but similar. I went from glasses to using contacts with clear cycling
    glasses. Even though the same amount of rain and water was sticking to both, I could see much better
    with the cycling glasses.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "I think it's about time we voted for
    senators with breasts. After all, we've been voting for [censored] long enough." -Arizona senatorial
    candidate Claire Sargent, on women candiates.

  16. Quoted message said:

    This is not exactly parallel, but similar. I went from glasses to using contacts with clear cycling
    glasses. Even though the same amount of rain and water was sticking to both, I could see much
    better with the cycling glasses.

    I can't wear contacts so I have to do something. but wet glasses suck bad for sure.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  17. Steve Knight <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    For cool/cold weather rain gear, my standard for years was a Campmore rain cape; inexpensive
    breathable, waterproof overpants; and Burley zip-on shoe covers.

    right now I am too lazy to wear riding pants. I hate changing cloths so I just wear my work pants.

    The rain pants I have are loose enough to be pulled over your street pants. That's what I do in
    cooler weather. I also wear them over my street pants as wind pants in very cold weather.

    Quoted message said:

    the baseball cap is a good idea. how about goggles that will go over your face with glasses on?

    I've tried googles. They actually help a bit by getting the beads of rain further away from your
    face. But it's not great. I have to agree that wearing contacts, if you can, is the best approach.
    Most people can wear one of the types of contacts available these days - if you can't wear the soft
    ones, you might do OK with hard contacts. I don't, as my vision is ggod enough to ride without
    glasses. So if it is raining hard, I just take them off.

    If that doesn't work, maybe windshield wipers for glasses?

    Or my favorite:-) alternatives.comenter.html

    -Peter R.

  18. O

    Quoted message said:

    The rain pants I have are loose enough to be pulled over your street pants. That's what I do in
    cooler weather. I also wear them over my street pants as wind pants in very cold weather.

    I bought a great campy rain jacket off of ebay. for a good price. the guy has the pants but I don't
    know if they will fit. I am between 42 and 44 waist right now and getting smaller. but don't know if
    the xxl large is big enough.

    Quoted message said:

    I've tried googles. They actually help a bit by getting the beads of rain further away from your
    face. But it's not great. I have to agree that wearing contacts, if you can, is the best approach.


    I have asked last time I got glasses. my eyes are too wacky

    Quoted message said:


    If that doesn't work, maybe windshield wipers for glasses?

    Or my favorite:-) alternatives.comenter.html

    that looks kind of cool. but would it survive winds???

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  19. Steve Knight said:

    here in portland oregon it will start raining soon. I have been riding to work and sometimes back
    every day. but I am debating on riding in the rain. years ago I did it and it was a pain. I have
    a racing bike and it is not made for regular fenders. I could use a clamp on one for back but a
    bold on front guard won't work. good rain gear is a must but I want something I will not roast
    in. how to geek my glasses dry? and my shoes?

    I use a kind of poncho made from plastic foil. Get one big enough that you can pull the lower end
    over your handle bar. Keeps the rain of, without putting you into a sauna. Sports shops sell them,
    also army surplus stores. When not in use, they fold up neatly and fit into a bum bag.

    As to the glases, use contact lenses instead and a lot of problems just go away, not only rain.

    The shoes are kept dry with a platic bag pulled over them and tied at the shin. Not pretty,
    but works.

    There are fenders available for racing bikes, check at the stores.

  20. Dr Engelbert Buxbaum said:

    There are fenders available for racing bikes, check at the stores.

    In Europe anyway. I seem to recall Paris-Brest-Paris riders putting fenders on Kestrels. I've never
    seen such fenders sold in the USA.

    Go to nashbar.comresults.cfm to see what we have in the
    USA. They now sell some Headlands and Zefal fenders as narrow as 35mm. Should work fine on my 1970s
    racing bike, but probably not on newer bikes with short reach brakes and narrow forks.

    One of my winter projects is going to be to make fiberglass fenders for my utility bike (early 1970s
    Maino). If that works out, I will make a set with carbon fiber fabric to match my Look. I'll have to
    get UV resistant epoxy for those, as I won't be painting them, I'll leave the fabric weave visible
    to match the bike.

    Mitch.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.