Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

riding during this time of year

Started by Micheal Artinda · · Last activity · 9 posts · 787 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
10 March 2004
Last activity
12 March 2004
Original author
Micheal Artinda
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
787
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of my
    vehicle, i have had do resort to riding my bike to work.
    (or atleast part of the way to catch a bus) the distance is
    over 20 km.

    The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
    interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its normal,
    and if not, how to make it better.

    Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts under
    a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling shorts
    before, and now know what I was missing. I was also wearing
    a sweatshirt, a hooded sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I
    also had a headband and a set of headphones over my ears. I
    had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.

    Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around my
    mouth got cold, not realy cold, but cooler than my ears, top
    of my head, and what all was covered by my shorts. is this
    normal? what could i wear that could even out the temp.?

    any suggestions?

    Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"

    P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
    sitting outside waiting for the bus.

  2. everything you ever wanted to know about icebiking.

    users.rcn.comicebike

    charlie

    Micheal Artindale said:

    I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of my
    vehicle, i have had do resort to riding my bike to work.
    (or atleast part of the way to catch a bus) the distance is
    over 20 km.

    The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
    interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its normal,
    and if not, how to make it better.

    Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts under
    a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling shorts
    before, and now know what I was missing. I was also wearing
    a sweatshirt, a hooded sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I
    also had a headband and a set of headphones over my ears. I
    had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.

    Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
    my mouth got cold, not realy cold, but cooler than my
    ears, top of my head, and what all was covered by my
    shorts. is this normal? what could i wear that could even
    out the temp.?

    any suggestions?

    Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"

    P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
    sitting outside waiting for the bus.

  3. The website lets me know im not the only crazy person
    out there.

    Unfortunatly, it didnt answer the ones i wanted to find out.

    "Charles Beristain" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    everything you ever wanted to know about icebiking.

    users.rcn.comicebike

    charlie

    Micheal Artindale said:

    I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of
    my vehicle, i


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    had do resort to riding my bike to work. (or atleast part
    of the way to catch a bus) the distance is over 20 km.

    The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
    interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its
    normal, and if not, how to make it


    better.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts
    under a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling
    shorts before, and now know what


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was missing. I was also wearing a sweatshirt, a hooded
    sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I also had a headband
    and a set of headphones over my ears.


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.

    Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
    my mouth got


    cold,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not realy cold, but cooler than my ears, top of my head,
    and what all was covered by my shorts. is this normal?
    what could i wear that could even


    out

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the temp.?

    any suggestions?

    Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"

    P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
    sitting outside waiting for the bus.

  4. You really just need an extra layer in those areas. Try a
    thin balaclava instead of the headband and ear covering to
    cover all of your head and neck, and full bicycling tights
    or synthetic long underwear underneath the running pants.

    -Collin

    "Micheal Artindale" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of my
    vehicle, i have had do resort to riding my bike to work.
    (or atleast part of the way to catch a bus) the distance
    is over 20 km.

    The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
    interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its normal,
    and if not, how to make it


    better.

    Quoted message said:


    Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts
    under a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling
    shorts before, and now know what


    I

    Quoted message said:

    was missing. I was also wearing a sweatshirt, a hooded
    sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I also had a headband and
    a set of headphones over my ears.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.

    Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
    my mouth got


    cold,

    Quoted message said:

    not realy cold, but cooler than my ears, top of my head,
    and what all was covered by my shorts. is this normal?
    what could i wear that could even


    out

    Quoted message said:

    the temp.?

    any suggestions?

    Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"

    P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
    sitting outside waiting for the bus.

  5. I ride to work all winter long. Snow,rain, wind,and temps
    below zero. Don't forget wind chill sometimes 30 below. I
    ware sweat pants under my pants. Some times 2 hooded
    sweat shirts with a Buff between head and hood.
    Socks,Timberline Pro boots. And last things I put on is
    my ski jacket and double up on the gloves. And when I get
    to cold around the mouth wrap with scarf to just below
    nose. I stay snug like a bug in a rug. This is my 9th
    winter riding to work. And I also ride my bike around on
    my days off so I'm some what of a pro.

    I MTB 2004

  6. "Micheal Artindale" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    <snip, eh>

    Quoted message said:

    any suggestions?

    Move to Arizona.

    JD

  7. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
    my mouth got cold, not realy cold, but cooler than my
    ears, top of my head, and what all was covered by my
    shorts. is this normal? what could i wear that could even
    out the temp.?

    A PolarTec balaclava would help with the face/head. I've
    got two of them - heavy/light for different temp ranges.
    Wouldn't leave home without one this time of year and
    around Philly our really cold days are probably like your
    spring days...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  8. "Micheal Artindale" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of my
    vehicle, i have had do resort to riding my bike to work.
    (or atleast part of the way to catch a bus) the distance
    is over 20 km.

    The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
    interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its normal,
    and if not, how to make it


    better.

    Quoted message said:


    Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts
    under a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling
    shorts before, and now know what


    I

    Quoted message said:

    was missing. I was also wearing a sweatshirt, a hooded
    sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I also had a headband and
    a set of headphones over my ears.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.

    Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
    my mouth got


    cold,

    Quoted message said:

    not realy cold, but cooler than my ears, top of my head,
    and what all was covered by my shorts. is this normal?
    what could i wear that could even


    out

    Quoted message said:

    the temp.?

    any suggestions?

    Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"

    P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
    sitting outside waiting for the bus.

    Even though there's no wind, you're still moving at 20km+,
    and getting the wind from that. Anything windproof would
    definitely help out.

    Cycling tights (with or without a liner) are great for this
    type of stuff. They're thin, move with you, don't catch on
    bike stuff, and you can get 'em with brushed nylon or fleece
    on the inside, which makes them super cozy. A lot have at
    least partially windproof material too.

    As for chest, a ski-type jacket will make a big difference.
    Just something the wind won't go right through. Don't have
    to get too fancy here, or too expensive, although obviously
    nicer stuff has some really nice options like goretex (lets
    moisture and is windproof and waterproof), vents (you can
    really control your temp with these, they're great), better
    articulation of joints, and so on and so forth.

    A balaclava for the head will make a big difference in
    overall temp for the whole body. One of those awful-looking
    but effective neoprene ski masks will handle the nose/mouth
    area, although they're a little hard to breathe through
    sometimes, and you'll get the dreaded snotsickle effect.

    Hope that helps!

    Jon Bond

  9. JD said:

    "Micheal Artindale" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    <snip, eh>

    Quoted message said:

    any suggestions?

    Move to Arizona.

    JD

    Best suggestion in the group! 🙂

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.