Has anyone here put their bike together and ridden it away from Madrid's
main airport? Every book I check tells one how to get to the center of
Madrid, but I want to get away from the city into the country.
Pat in TX
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Has anyone here put their bike together and ridden it away from Madrid's
main airport? Every book I check tells one how to get to the center of
Madrid, but I want to get away from the city into the country.
Pat in TX
For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking
bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on
rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around the world and
how to ride in/out of about 150 airports, including Madrid.
See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net
George
"Pat in TX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Has anyone here put their bike together and ridden it away from Madrid's
main airport? Every book I check tells one how to get to the center of
Madrid, but I want to get away from the city into the country.Pat in TX
"George Farnsworth" <> For some time I've been collecting information on
user experiences taking
Quoted message said:bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on
rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around the world
and how to ride in/out of about 150 airports, including Madrid.See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net
George
I did go to your excellent site and there was a short note by one woman
([email hidden]) who had ridden out of the airport area. She left an email
address for people to contact, only it is a broken link. My email was
bounced back. (The other posts were from people wanting to ride into
Madrid.)
I bought a Michelin 1:12,000 map of Madrid which shows airport streets and
the best hope seems to me to be the roads to the cargo freight area. I am
piecing this together slowly, but if someone has actually done it, that
would be a help.....
Pat in TX
Did you miss this one from June?
MADRID BARAJAS AIRPORT (June 2005) - With the new addition of a pedestian
overpass at the airport, it is very easy to navigate on bicycle to the
center of Madrid. These directions will take you to Puerta del Sol, which is
close to the two main train stations, ATOCHA and CHAMARTIN, the museum
PRADO, and the central historical part of the city.
SERVICE ROAD - From the International Terminal (Terminal #1) baggage claim,
exit the doors, turn right and go about 100 yards to a very small roundabout
(carrefour; traffic circle). You will be going counter clockwise on the
circle. Take the second exit on the circle; this is the airport service
road. The traffic circle is right by the "CONSIGNA - BAGGAGE LOCKERS"
building. Follow the service road for .7 (7/10) miles. You will pass by
many, many taxicabs queued on your left.
OUTER ROAD - The service road will take you to a blue, pedestian/bicycle
overpass. It is the only overpass that is painted the color BLUE. It will be
on your right. Go up the ramp, cross over the main highway. Go down the ramp
at the end of the overpass on the other side of the main highway, continue
straight for 2.2 miles along the outer road. The outer road changes names,
three times in this stretch; 1st - "Ave de Hispanidad", 2nd - "Avenida de
America", and 3rd - "Ave de Longono". There is a shoulder on the road and a
sidewalk. There are street lights along the outer road. Along the way, you
will pass through two traffic circles and approach your next exit at a bus
stop and another overpass. Caution - Cars entering the outer road from the
main highway have the Right-of-Way!
You should be about 3.0 miles from the airport. There is a bus stop and
pedestrian/bike overpass that takes you back across the main highway to
CALLE ALCALA (city street). This is the city street that takes you into the
center of Madrid at Puerta del Sol. CALLE ALCALA is a busy thorough fare,
but I would consider it bicycle friendly. In the busiest stretches, you can
ride the bicycle safely in the lanes reserved for taxicabs and buses. It is
six (6) miles from the overpass to Puerta del Sol on CALLE ALCALA. You will
pass by the bull fighting stadium along the way. There is a metro station at
the overpass if you wish to take the subway into town instead. It is Metro
stop CANILLEJAS.
PHOTOS - If you have a compass, you will be traveling in a south western
direction. If you need a hotel close to the airport, there are several
hotels along the 2.2 mile stretch on the outer road. If you would like
photos of this route, contact me by email and I will forward them to you.
SAFETY - Riding your bike "IN" Madrid is fairly safe. Riding your bike "OUT
OF" Madrid is death defying. Suggest you take the train to get out of the
city before starting your trip.
BIKE BOXES - Air France is the most probable airline that will have a bike
box for your return trip. Start with them first. They currently charge about
6? for a box. It is smaller than other airline boxes. You may have to remove
the front wheel to get the bike to fit into it. Bring your own tape to seal
the box.
BIKE STORAGE - You can store your bike at the CONSIGNA - BAGGAGE LOCKERS
building. The daily charge is 6?. If you leave the bike at 6 pm and pick it
up the next day, it counts as TWO days.
"Pat in TX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"George Farnsworth" <> For some time I've been collecting information on
user experiences takingQuoted message said:bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on
rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around the world
and how to ride in/out of about 150 airports, including Madrid.See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net
George
I did go to your excellent site and there was a short note by one woman
([email hidden]) who had ridden out of the airport area. She left an
email address for people to contact, only it is a broken link. My email
was bounced back. (The other posts were from people wanting to ride into
Madrid.)I bought a Michelin 1:12,000 map of Madrid which shows airport streets and
the best hope seems to me to be the roads to the cargo freight area. I am
piecing this together slowly, but if someone has actually done it, that
would be a help.....Pat in TX
This is a good post which will get us 3 miles from the airport. Most of the
post is concerned with going into Madrid, but we are looking to go to the
Alpha camp site (I have written to them for directions as well). However, it
is a good post that I probably overlooked because the first paragraphs talk
about going into town. Thanks for reminding me of it.
I have another question. When the books say "via verde transitable sin
acondicionar" I understand that to mean not paved. But, what I need to know
is, does that mean it is the crushed gravel or simply not rideable under any
conditions? These are the portions of the trains marked with red lines.
Got the books today. Thanks a million! Study time now.
Pat in TX
"Transitable" basically means "rideable." "Sin acondicionar" means no
special treatment, usually just dirt.
"Pat in TX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:This is a good post which will get us 3 miles from the airport. Most of
the post is concerned with going into Madrid, but we are looking to go to
the Alpha camp site (I have written to them for directions as well).
However, it is a good post that I probably overlooked because the first
paragraphs talk about going into town. Thanks for reminding me of it.I have another question. When the books say "via verde transitable sin
acondicionar" I understand that to mean not paved. But, what I need to
know is, does that mean it is the crushed gravel or simply not rideable
under any conditions? These are the portions of the trains marked with red
lines.Got the books today. Thanks a million! Study time now.
Pat in TX
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.