Professional Cycling · Public discussion

Ricki Riccio dopers delight

Started by thunder · · Last activity · 20 posts · 3,182 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Professional Cycling
Published
18 July 2008
Last activity
23 July 2008
Original author
thunder
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,182
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jerome Pineau:

    Quoted post said:

    "For the last two days, the race has not only been animated by sporting feats alone. There was the case of Moises Duenas, where I was impressed by the deployment of gendarmes, who quickly circled the hotel we shared with Barloworld for the rest day, in Tarbes. Then, today around noon, we learned of the positive control for third-generation, supposedly undetectable EPO by Ricco. I'd heard of this product a while ago and went on a website where I found information on its composition.

    CERA, this retarded-effect EPO, is not so undetectable, as proven by the Ricco affair.I'm very glad he got caught because Ricco the arrogant was dragging quite a past. I have Italian friends who raced with him when he was 15, who told me he used to brag about the fact he was doping, going so far as to show them how he did it. When you're in deep water like him, the least you can do is have the decense to shut up, especially when you're at the center of the problem. He took himself for a star, he taunted us. I'm very glad that he's sleeping in a cell tonight.

    I'm split between two sentiments, tonight. On one hand I'm sad once again for the image of cycling among the general public. I'm sorry for the kids who dreamed of Ricco after seeing his "exploits" in the Pyrenees on TV. On the other hand, I'm satisfied with the fight against doping, which has no refuge for the cheats, who make us feel and look weak when they attack unjustly.

    To my eyes, the fact that Saunier Duval shamefully flee the race looks like an admission of organized doping. In those cases, the reaction is everything. Either the team stays in the race and affirms its surprise and despair in the face of such events, like Barloworld who, for me, were faced with an isolated case. Either that or the team wants to skirt questions they could face and run away like a kid who got caught in the schoolyard."

  2. thunder said:

    Jerome Pineau:


    Barlowold...isolated? The guy had a jungle gym of transfusion equipment from the sound of it. I am sure that his team just thought it was some wacky contraption for cooking him an egg in the morning.

  3. Pineau said:

    I'm very glad he got caught because Ricco the arrogant was dragging quite a past. I have Italian friends who raced with him when he was 15, who told me he used to brag about the fact he was doping, going so far as to show them how he did it. When you're in deep water like him, the least you can do is have the decense to shut up, especially when you're at the center of the problem. He took himself for a star, he taunted us. I'm very glad that he's sleeping in a cell tonight.


    :eek: They say that the only way to get caught is to make a mistake or be stupid. It's obvious which of the two categories Riccos falls into.

  4. thoughtforfood said:

    Barlowold...isolated? The guy had a jungle gym of transfusion equipment from the sound of it. I am sure that his team just thought it was some wacky contraption for cooking him an egg in the morning.

    If it had been organised, needles wouldn't be found in his room, would they? How "organised" is that?

  5. adamastor said:

    If it had been organised, needles wouldn't be found in his room, would they? How "organised" is that?

    But he couldn't possibly be thinking of using all the equipment on his own, right? He has to have some co-conspirators. Whether that is someone in the team, or whether it is someone from outside is the question.

  6. adamastor said:

    If it had been organised, needles wouldn't be found in his room, would they? How "organised" is that?


    (no sarcasm) Where else would they keep the needles? Closer to the patient means less transportation, etc. I don't think you are making a compelling argument.

  7. thoughtforfood said:

    (no sarcasm) Where else would they keep the needles? Closer to the patient means less transportation, etc. I don't think you are making a compelling argument.


    IRead someplace that Corti mentioned that Duenas has confessed to doping alone, spending 2000 euros on the products from a doctor, I believe maybe i read it on Cyclingnews

  8. Capt.Injury said:

    IRead someplace that Corti mentioned that Duenas has confessed to doping alone, spending 2000 euros on the products from a doctor, I believe maybe i read it on Cyclingnews

    Possibly, but hooking up to a bag of blood is not exactly something you can easily do without others noticing. I guess I am still suspicious of Soler last year, and wonder if there isn't a more organized effort on the teams part.

    I for one have never bought into the idea that it is the riders alone. I believe the DS's and other support staff were/are complicit in the doping. It is too rampant for them to not to be involved in my opinion....not to mention that many are former riders who have admitted or had a reputation for doping...

  9. thoughtforfood said:

    Possibly, but hooking up to a bag of blood is not exactly something you can easily do without others noticing. I guess I am still suspicious of Soler last year, and wonder if there isn't a more organized effort on the teams part.


    I think the inital reports of blood transfusion equipment were wrong. It sounds like they found stuff to do I.V.s, possibly to lower his hematocrit or for recovery.

  10. I like to give people the benifit of the doubt generally, however Riccó after first saying he was innocent has recently added 'he believes anyway that the test cannot be 100% accurate.' That is not a statement someone would make who knows he is innocent. What is more, he is reported to have said with regard to other cyclists who have intensely criticised him, "In there shoes I would have not done the same thing, after all they may not be virgins themselves". Another statement a clean rider would not be expected to make

    Bro Deal said:

    :eek: They say that the only way to get caught is to make a mistake or be stupid. It's obvious which of the two categories Riccos falls into.

  11. You know, I may be misinformed or naive or something, but having been on EPO myself in the past for prescribed, medical reasons, I find it extremely hard to believe that any case of EPO use within a pro cycling team could be an isolated case rather than a team organized or at least a team tolerated one. It seems very unlikely to me. For one thing, not counting the procurement problems and the need for blood tests, even a very simple matter like the fact that EPO has to be kept refrigerated or on ice at all times would make it a very hard secret to keep in a team kind of setting.

  12. SD riders have signed an open letter where they said that they are clean, they are denying management wrongdoing and they feel tarnished by some of them.
    Some riders have not signed it. Who are they ? 😄

    Quoted post said:

    [font=Arial]Les coureurs de l'équipe Saunier Duval ont publié lundi une lettre ouverte à l'attention des sponsors de leur formation dont vous trouverez les termes ci-dessous "Nous affirmons que toute notre équipe, des coureurs au staff technique (Mauro Gianetti, Joxean Fernandez Matxin, Pietro Algeri, Sabino Angoitia et Matteo Algeri) et médical (Jose Ibarguren, Juan Carlos Alameda et Maria Sagasti), a toujours cru dans un cyclisme propre et crédible, argument de base de toutes les réunions d'équipe".[/font]

    [font=Arial]Les coureurs de Saunier Duval s'indignent de devoir "payer" pour d'autres "Nous n'acceptons pas, au contraire nous condamnons, le choix de quelques coureurs qui ont cherché dans la triche la possibilité de victoire. Par conséquent, nous ne voulons pas que cet incident souille la réputation impeccable de l'équipe, de nous-autres ou du management. [/font]

    [font=Arial]Nous ne voulons pas payer pour les erreurs des autres et continuons à espérer dans la confiance d'une société qui, jusqu'à aujourd'hui, a cru en nous, en nous engageant à montrer chaque jour cette image de sérieux et d'honnêteté que nous avons toujours donnée. Il est juste que celui qui triche paye. Mais nous vous demandons de sauvegarder ceux qui, par contre, se sont toujours donnés et ont lutté honnêtement pour l'honneur de l'équipe".[/font]

    [font=Arial]Les noms des coureurs suivants figuraient en-dessous de la lettre : [/font]

    [font=Arial]Raúl Alarcón, Raivis Belohvosciks, Alberto Benítez, Rubens Bertogliati, Iker Camaño, David Cañada, Eros Capecchi, Ermanno Capelli, Juan José Cobo, David de la Fuente, Jesús del Nero, Arkaitz Durán, Alberto Fernández de la Puebla, Denis Flahaut, Ángel Gómez, José Ángel Gómez Marchante, Héctor González, Beñat Intxausti, Josep Jufré, Rubén Lobato, Javier Megías, Manuele Mori, Luciano Pagliarini, Aurélien Passeron[/font]

  13. poulidor said:

    SD riders have signed an open letter where they said that they are clean, they are denying management wrongdoing and they feel tarnished by some of them.
    Some riders have not signed it. Who are they ? 😄


    ..yea, that Cobo signiture holds a lot of weight...

  14. From http://www.lemonde.fr/sports/article/2008/07/22/ricco-affirme-avoir-recu-des-injections-de-vitamines_1075811_3242.html#ens_id=1066184

    Ricco has tried to escape the doping test after the TT in Colet, that was written in AFLD report!

  15. [font=Verdana][font=Verdana]Ricco affirme avoir reçu des "injections de vitamines" [/font]

    [/font]

  16. Riccó has denyed that he tried to evade the control. Stay tuned

    poulidor said:

    From http://www.lemonde.fr/sports/article/2008/07/22/ricco-affirme-avoir-recu-des-injections-de-vitamines_1075811_3242.html#ens_id=1066184

    Ricco has tried to escape the doping test after the TT in Colet, that was written in AFLD report!

  17. ilpirata said:

    Riccó has denyed that he tried to evade the control. Stay tuned


    Let it go ilpirata. He was a doper.

  18. ilpirata said:

    Riccó has denyed that he tried to evade the control. Stay tuned

    Actually, this does make sense. He won 2 stages and he absolutely positively must have been aware that he was going to be tested on those days. He must also know that the 3rd generation EPO stays in the body for so much longer (throughout the tour in fact, which is the whole point). I think he felt perfectly safe. Why should he run then from a random test (unless he realized that he left the testosterone patch on for too long during the night).

  19. WBT I have posted in this thread earlier that some of Riccó reported statements do not sound like those of an innocent man. Scroll back one page.

    [/QUOTE] whiteboytrash]Let it go ilpirata. He was a doper.[/QUOTE]

  20. looks like CERA itself was as undetectable as originally thought...

    but it was revealed today that Roche (the manufacture of CERA) put a chemical in the product that could be detected and would reveal improper use.

    this makes a lot of sense since from every thing i've read it should have been the perfect undetectable dope... the molecule is too big to pass through into the urine so i was wondering how in the hell the could have possibly detected something that couldn't possibly be there. but they didn't.. they detected this other sort of flagging substance that was put in there... these guys aren't as dumb as they look

    High-tech development caught Riccò

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.