rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Richard and Judy - possible TV appearance?

Started by matt_t · · Last activity · 13 posts · 220 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
27 June 2006
Last activity
28 June 2006
Original author
matt_t
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
220
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A friend of mine knows people on the Richard and Judy show and wants to
    get me on there because of my cokering exploits (mainly the Dunwich
    Dynamo; big night ride I'm going to do soon)
    It may not happen at all, but he can definitely try. I was just
    wondering what other people thought. I know unicycling has been on
    there before with Joe, Amanda and Richard if my memory serves me right.
    Can any of you guys tell me what it was like?

    I want to get publicity because the charity I'm raising money for is
    very small and so it would help people know what it's about and help
    with sponsorship. The problem with it is I'd probably be really nervous
    and look like an idiot. Also I find Richard and Judy mildly annoying:p

    Given that it's not a definite thing at all, what do you people think I
    should do?
    hmmmmm....

    --
    matt_t

    You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You gotta hope even
    more, and cover your ears and go 'bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla!'

    Arrrrrr. Yarrrrrr. etc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    matt_t's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10922
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  2. go for it

    --
    iridemymuni

    In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
    practice, there is.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  3. Aye, there's no such thing as bad publicity...

    Apparently.

    --
    MrBoogiejuice

    ---unicycle for Bilious - The Oh-God of hangovers---
    Make crumbs not War!
    Just blame it on the boogie...
    www.unicyclepics.co.uk Get your pics out!
    Send submissions to [email hidden]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  4. Go for it.
    Rehearse, even if only in your head while training for your coker
    event, how to answer the questions you're almost guaranteed to get.
    Find quick, short ways to get past the "Why do you do it?"/"Circus"
    situation and put the focus on your charity.
    Give the information about your charity as concisely as possible.
    Tell people what their money will do and who it will do it for.
    "We'll buy blankets for pensioners in East-Angley who are affected by
    the annual rat-plague."

    -*---
    -S-M-I-L-E---*-

    And it's crucial that you do this while rehearsing all this stuff in
    your head.
    You'll need to force your face into a grin but you'll eventually get
    used to it and on the day, your nervousness will feed a genuine smile.
    You might feel like a bit of an idiot going around with this plastered
    grin on your face, but it will be worth it.

    Finally, pick one contact number or website addy.
    Viewers won't have pens and pads at hand (well, the pensioners in
    East-Angley might, but they've got the rats to worry about), so don't
    give your phone number, the phone number of the charity, their website
    -and- your own.
    Pick one and one only.
    Ideally a website because you can have not only all the information,
    but also all the contact detail on the site.

    What is your charity, btw?

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
    day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
    'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
    (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GILD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  5. Thanks for all the advice people, I might as well go for it since my
    embarassment might help promote unicycling/ a cool charity. I probably
    won't get on anyway now I've mentioned the possibility.

    Gild - the charity is the Cambridge Mongolian Disaster Appeal -
    www.camda.org.uk. It's an obscure one I know but I've been out there
    twice and the poverty is really bad and nobody seems to know since the
    media equate poverty with Africa and tend to make it seem an
    intractable problem...but I'm off topic here. They do great work and a
    little money goes a long way with these guys since it's run by
    volunteers with a genuine knowledge and love of the country. I'm
    collecting at www.justgiving.com/unicyclecoast2coast plug plug haha!

    --
    matt_t

    You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You gotta hope even
    more, and cover your ears and go 'bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla!'

    Arrrrrr. Yarrrrrr. etc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    matt_t's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10922
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  6. matt_t said:

    the media equate poverty with Africa

    Yeah, and Bono isn't helping.
    I really wish he would sort out Northern Ireland before preaching to
    the rest of the world. But he's raising awareness so I guess I
    shouldn't complain.
    (Does anybody else think that Oprah is just Bono in drag?)

    matt_t said:

    I'm collecting at www.justgiving.com/unicyclecoast2coast

    I just thought I'd repeat this so people can have another chance of
    noticing that a fellow one wheeler is riding for a good cause and they
    can really donate the cost of a pizza or a single movie ticket.
    It will make a difference.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
    day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
    'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
    (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GILD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  7. It'd be worth doing if it isn't too much hassle. They'll always be a bit
    silly, but the one of me commuting wasn't that patronising at all. It's
    in the gallery 'here'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=61632).

    If they're interested in filming you actually riding Dunwich, make sure
    they're clear that they have to keep up with you and that you aren't
    going to ride any bit twice. Otherwise they'll want you to do lots of
    takes of things, which was enough hassle for a 10 mile commute, let
    alone a 120 mile night ride.

    You are not allowed to plug commercial things on there, but charities
    are probably okay. Also, if you wear a t-shirt with one big memorable
    thing (like "unicycleformongolia.org" or something) written on it, so
    that it can be seen when you're wearing riding gear, that might help, I
    know my Soreen t-shirt definately gets noticed.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  8. good on ya m8

    --
    Lucas1wheel

    2 times british freestyle champion lol
    Level 7
    UNI-T rule
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lucas1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11476
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  9. Hey matt, it's funny you say that. Just this weekend I was urged by
    someone at trycycling scotland to try and get abit more televisual
    attention. He suggested trying R&J and This Morning. You never know, if
    we both apply, pressure from two sides might convince them to do a
    follow up.

    Jas

    --
    KlownLife

    Quoted message said:

    UNICYCLING FOR MYSELF<

    "The Unicycle world is my religion, more than a society phenomenon : my
    urban culture. " - -Adrien Mainand-

    olarf said:

    In Germany we would call you a "grosser Spinner" 🙂


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  10. matt_t said:

    I want to get publicity because the charity I'm raising money for is
    very small and so it would help people know what it's about and help
    with sponsorship. The problem with it is I'd probably be really nervous
    and look like an idiot. Also I find Richard and Judy mildly annoying:p

    Given that it's not a definite thing at all, what do you people think I
    should do?
    hmmmmm....

    I think it's a bad idea to bad mouth the very people that can give you
    free publicity to support your cause. Maybe they do random googles for
    their names, and are reading this thread.:eek:

    --
    bugman

    *-NAUCC 2006 -*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bugman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3812
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  11. matt_t said:

    I find Richard and Judy mildly annoying ... <snip> ... what do you
    people think I should do?

    Drink a bottle of wine beforehand, then you and Judy should get on like
    a house on fire ;-)

    --
    Danny Colyer

    http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
    Subscribe to PlusNet http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  12. bugman said:

    I think it's a bad idea to bad mouth the very people that can give you
    free publicity to support your cause. Maybe they do random googles for
    their names, and are reading this thread.:eek:

    Haha yes I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Over here in
    Blighty we aren't averse to poking fun at one another and it was meant
    to be tongue in cheek hence the tongue in cheeky smily!
    It wasn't anything nasty, and I challenge you to look at this and not
    be even slighty annoyed😄
    http://tinyurl.com/glzz8
    In case it changes tomorrow for the record it's Barry Manilow:eek:

    It probably won't happen, but my friend is going to try and get it
    sorted. Also Kit will be joining me for the Dunwich Dynamo woohoo!

    --
    matt_t

    You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You gotta hope even
    more, cover your ears and go 'blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah!'

    Arrrrrr. Yarrrrrr. etc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    matt_t's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10922
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

  13. matt_t said:


    It probably won't happen, but my friend is going to try and get it
    sorted. Also Kit will be joining me for the Dunwich Dynamo woohoo!

    Glutton, punishment. Yep, lovely.

    It'll be fun I think, in a very painful kind of way. It'll cetainly be
    interesting seeing just how far we can go before conking out. I'll be
    over the moon if we manage to hit 100 miles.

    --
    MrBoogiejuice

    ---unicycle for Bilious - The Oh-God of hangovers---
    Make crumbs not War!
    Just blame it on the boogie...
    www.unicyclepics.co.uk Get your pics out!
    Send submissions to [email hidden]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50697

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.