Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Respacing 126mm hub to 120mm?

Started by Todd Bryan · · Last activity · 8 posts · 2,923 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 November 2003
Last activity
19 November 2003
Original author
Todd Bryan
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,923
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an older frame with 120mm rear spacing. I'd rather not bend the frame out to 126mm, but good
    120mm hubs are hard to find. I've noticed that many of the 126mm freewheel hubs appear similar to
    120mm hubs; that is, the flange-to-flange spacing did not change. Instead, many of these hubs appear
    to have spacers on the axle just outside of the locknuts. To me this implies that with a shorter
    axle and removal of these spacers, one can convert such a hub to the older 120mm standard. I'd
    appreciate any guidance someone might give me on the feasibility of such a conversion.

    Thanks -

    --
    Todd Bryan Santa Barbara, CA

  2. "Todd Bryan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:va9ub.23309$Q64.23141@fed1read03...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an older frame with 120mm rear spacing. I'd rather not bend the frame out to 126mm, but
    good 120mm hubs are hard to find. I've noticed that many of the 126mm freewheel hubs appear
    similar to 120mm hubs; that is, the flange-to-flange spacing did not change. Instead, many of
    these hubs appear to have spacers on the axle just outside of the locknuts. To me this implies
    that with a shorter axle and removal of these spacers, one can convert such a hub to the older
    120mm standard. I'd appreciate any guidance someone might give me on the feasibility of such a
    conversion.

    Exactly. You may not even have to go with a shorter axle, so try it out first. 3mm isn't a bunch.

    IIRC, I put about 16mm of space between the end of the hub and the outside of the locknut on the
    drive side. Seems to keep my track wheels happy... Your chainline may vary, so check it out first!

    I've gone the other way bunches of times...

    Mike

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks -

    --
    Todd Bryan Santa Barbara, CA

  3. In article va9ub.23309$Q64.23141@fed1read03 said:

    I have an older frame with 120mm rear spacing. I'd rather not bend the frame out to 126mm, but good
    120mm hubs are hard to find. I've noticed that many of the 126mm freewheel hubs appear similar to
    120mm hubs; that is, the flange-to-flange spacing did not change. Instead, many of these hubs
    appear to have spacers on the axle just outside of the locknuts. To me this implies that with a
    shorter axle and removal of these spacers, one can convert such a hub to the older 120mm standard.
    I'd appreciate any guidance someone might give me on the feasibility of such a conversion.

    Yes that would work fine, the easiest way to go is to get a hub with a typical 10mm axle and buy a
    collection of spacers that allows you to remove the proper amount, then trim the axle so it does not
    protrude past the dropouts. 10mm aluminum spacers in various widths should be readily available at
    any decent shop.

    --Paul

  4. "Paul Southworth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    In article va9ub.23309$Q64.23141@fed1read03 said:

    I have an older frame with 120mm rear spacing. I'd rather not bend the frame out to 126mm, but
    good 120mm hubs are hard to find. I've noticed that many of the 126mm freewheel hubs appear
    similar to 120mm hubs; that is, the flange-to-flange spacing did not change. Instead, many of
    these hubs appear to have spacers on the axle just outside of the locknuts. To me this implies
    that with a shorter axle and removal of these spacers, one can convert such a hub to the older
    120mm standard. I'd appreciate any guidance someone might give me on the feasibility of such a
    conversion.

    Yes that would work fine, the easiest way to go is to get a hub with a typical 10mm axle and buy a
    collection of spacers that allows you to remove the proper amount, then trim the axle so it does
    not protrude past the dropouts. 10mm aluminum spacers in various widths should be readily
    available at any decent shop.

    --Paul

    If you do that, make sure you thread on a nut before you cut it. After you're done cutting, back
    the nut off.

    This'll keep your threads from getting bunged up.

    Mike

  5. bryan-<< I have an older frame with 120mm rear spacing. I'd rather not bend the frame out to 126mm,
    but good 120mm hubs are hard to find. I've noticed that many of the 126mm freewheel hubs appear
    similar to 120mm hubs; that is, the flange-to-flange spacing did not change. Instead, many of these
    hubs appear to have spacers on the axle just outside of the locknuts. To me this implies that with a
    shorter axle and removal of these spacers, one can convert such a hub to the older 120mm standard.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    That's right, just need to ensure you have enough threads on the right side for the freewheel you
    intend to use.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. Todd Bryan said:

    I have an older frame with 120mm rear spacing. I'd rather not bend the frame out to 126mm, but
    good 120mm hubs are hard to find. I've noticed that many of the 126mm freewheel hubs appear
    similar to 120mm hubs; that is, the flange-to-flange spacing did not change. Instead, many of
    these hubs appear to have spacers on the axle just outside of the locknuts. To me this implies
    that with a shorter axle and removal of these spacers, one can convert such a hub to the older
    120mm standard. I'd appreciate any guidance someone might give me on the feasibility of such a
    conversion.

    I've done it for an old 10-speed bike and ended up with a dishless wheel as a result. It wasn't
    necessary to shorten the axle.

  7. Todd Bryan said:

    I have an older frame with 120mm rear spacing. I'd rather not bend th=


    e

    Quoted message said:

    frame out to 126mm, but good 120mm hubs are hard to find. I've notice=


    d

    Quoted message said:

    that many of the 126mm freewheel hubs appear similar to 120mm hubs; that is, the flange-to-flange
    spacing did not change. Instead, many =


    of

    Quoted message said:

    these hubs appear to have spacers on the axle just outside of the locknuts. To me this implies
    that with a shorter axle and removal of these spacers, one can convert such a hub to the older
    120mm standard.=

    Quoted message said:

    I'd appreciate any guidance someone might give me on the feasibility o=


    f

    Quoted message said:

    such a conversion.

    Like others have said, that sounds alright. If you remove unequal amoun= ts =

    of spacer on either side of the hub, you will need to recenter (aka dish= ) =

    the wheel.

    -- =

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  8. dvt <dvt [email hidden]> wrote in message news:<opryulfeccqi5lh2@localhost>...

    Quoted message said:
    Todd Bryan said:

    I have an older frame with 120mm rear spacing. I'd rather not bend th


    e

    Quoted message said:

    frame out to 126mm, but good 120mm hubs are hard to find. I've notice


    d

    Quoted message said:

    that many of the 126mm freewheel hubs appear similar to 120mm hubs; that is, the
    flange-to-flange spacing did not change. Instead, many


    of

    Quoted message said:

    these hubs appear to have spacers on the axle just outside of the locknuts. To me this implies
    that with a shorter axle and removal of these spacers, one can convert such a hub to the older
    120mm standard.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd appreciate any guidance someone might give me on the feasibility o


    f

    Quoted message said:

    such a conversion.

    Like others have said, that sounds alright. If you remove unequal amoun ts

    of spacer on either side of the hub, you will need to recenter (aka dish )

    the wheel.

    I am using a 138 mm hub in a 135 mm dropout the dropouts spring back to 135 when the wheel is
    removed. this does not damage the bike.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.