UK and Europe · Public discussion

Replacing shifters - 3 speed changers to two chain ring mech

Started by Zardoz · · Last activity · 8 posts · 847 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 April 2004
Last activity
15 April 2004
Original author
Zardoz
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
847
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I've got a broke sti shifter (so my bike shop tells me) and
    I can get a replacement off ebay for twenty quid-ish. Can I
    use a three speed changer for my two ring bike?

    Thanks,

    Z

  2. Quoted message said:

    I've got a broke sti shifter (so my bike shop tells me)
    and I can get a replacement off ebay for twenty quid-ish.
    Can I use a three speed changer for my two ring bike?

    I know the Tiagra shifter works well with 2 or 3 rings. The
    middle 'click' acts to trim the front derailleur towards the
    edges of your gear ratios (ie, large front/large back and
    vice versa). Any idea which model is available on ebay?

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Simonb
    I know the Tiagra shifter works well with 2 or 3 rings. The
    middle 'click' acts to trim the front derailleur towards the
    edges of your gear ratios (ie, large front/large back and
    vice versa). Any idea which model is available on ebay?

    You could get an old Shimano 600 STI shifter. Interestingly, the bumph says that you can "feather" the front derailleur by giving the lever a 'soft' click which moves the derailleur just enough to let you use the largest/smallest of your cassette without the chain rubbing on the front derailleur.

  4. I'm replacing Shimano 105s. There's a chap selling just a
    left hand Shimino 600 which would be just fine (the bidding
    for pairs of levers seems to be much more expensive).

    cgi.ebay.co.ukeBayISAPI.dll
    8938&category=57267

    Simonb said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got a broke sti shifter (so my bike shop tells me)
    and I can get a replacement off ebay for twenty quid-ish.
    Can I use a three speed changer for my two ring bike?

    I know the Tiagra shifter works well with 2 or 3 rings. The
    middle 'click' acts to trim the front derailleur towards
    the edges of your gear ratios (ie, large front/large back
    and vice versa). Any idea which model is available on ebay?

  5. Quoted message said:

    I'm replacing Shimano 105s. There's a chap selling just a
    left hand Shimino 600 which would be just fine (the
    bidding for pairs of levers seems to be much more
    expensive).

    I don't know about 600, isn't it pretty similar to Ultegra?
    In which case, it should handle double or triple rings.

  6. Quoted message said:

    You could get an old Shimano 600 STI shifter.
    Interestingly, the bumph says that you can "feather" the
    front derailleur by giving the lever a 'soft' click which
    moves the derailleur just enough to let you use the
    largest/smallest of your cassette without the chain
    rubbing on the front derailleur.

    There's your answer. Where did you find info on 600? I
    couldn't find anything on Shimano's site.

  7. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Simonb
    > I'm replacing Shimano 105s. There's a chap selling just a

    Quoted message said:

    left hand Shimino 600 which would be just fine (the
    bidding for pairs of levers seems to be much more
    expensive).



    I don't know about 600, isn't it pretty similar to Ultegra?
    In which case, it should handle double or triple rings.

    Shimano 600 gradually became Ultegra gear as I recall, it has been around since the early 1980s and essentially was Shimano's #2 gear (below Dura-Ace). I've got 600 chainset & cranks on my No.2 bike and they are sweet to use even after 11 years 😄

    If you can get hold of one (but preferrably two) of these beauties then I'd say Go For It!

  8. McBain_v1 said:
    Simonb said:

    I know the Tiagra shifter works well with 2 or 3
    rings. The middle 'click' acts to trim the front
    derailleur towards the edges of


    your gear > ratios (ie, large front/large back and vice
    versa). Any idea which model > is available on ebay?

    You could get an old Shimano 600 STI shifter.
    Interestingly, the bumph says that you can "feather" the
    front derailleur by giving the lever a 'soft' click which
    moves the derailleur just enough to let you use the
    largest/smallest of your cassette without the chain
    rubbing on the front derailleur.

    I have 1997 Ultegra which claims to work with 2 and 3 rings.
    I have it working with two and indeed do have the small
    adjustment, though I am going to put a triple on once I can
    afford it. I may actually dispense with STi up front and fit
    a friction downtube shifter for the front if I can't get the
    STi to work properly.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.