Wow, did this get off-topic. We are now talking about generalizations about people in the US,
Germany, France and a few others? I am from the US and I think we are the most obnoxious people as a
whole, but you can't pigeon-hole everyone in a country. I have had great experiences in France when
I was there. I didn't expect them to speak duh, American duh like so many American tourists I saw
while there do. I found them very nice, but I was in France and was trying to learn their style of
life, not impose mine. I don't speak French, but I had a book and was trying. They seemed to love
that and total strangers helped me all the time with communication. It was great, and I would love
to go back soon.
It is strange how people see how the world is in there own eyes. Everyone has their own view. I
think this off-topic subject started with someone that is frustrated over how we as Americans are
acting in general. I know I am embarrassed on how we are at war all the time and are very
aggressive. I think many of our athletes that go to the Olympics especially sprinters and
basketball players are an embarrassment the way they act. I will say this is not the place to
discuss this however.
I say, relax and talk about it to people that you know. I am disturbed by many things in this
country and exercise my right of speech often.
Enjoy, Curt
"Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:x-no-archive:yes
Quoted message said:Pat, I suggest you go back and read my message. The posting to which I responded was in fact
telling the original person inquiring what he
should
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:think. He totally discounted the guy's question, and did so in a condescending manner.
But, I didn't read anything condescending in his response. It may be that you were subconsciously
looking for condescension....and, I didn't see anything of the "telling him what to think"
attitude you cited. He was
just
Quoted message said:telling him what he knew about the products so that the poster could make
an
Quoted message said:evaluation. If you look for the worst, you are sure to find it. I just didn't find it.
Quoted message said:
With regard to your negative comment concerning my triggering an
indictment
Quoted message said:of an entire nation based on one message, be advised that that one
message
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:wasn't the triggering event, but simply more of the same that I see
rampant
Quoted message said:in this country on a daily basis. FYI, I am an American citizen living
in
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:the US. I see this kind of "holier than thou" attitude all the time.
Just
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:look at world events. If you had travelled internationally and lived
abroad
Quoted message said:as much as I have, I suspect you would be aware of the same kinds of
things
Quoted message said:that I routinely see. There was a leap of faith in that last sentence because I do not know how
much international exposure you have had.
I have lived in Germany for seven years and have traveled to 21 different countries. We camped out
the entire time we traveled, so I have had a lot
of
Quoted message said:exposure to different cultures. I have seen a "holier than thou" attitude among the Germans, the
French, the Austrians, the Swiss (did I mention the French?)....in short: people are not uniformly
one way in any country, nor is there any "rampant" attitude.
Quoted message said:
Ask yourself why you were the only one who objected. By definition, not taking someone to task
is the same as consent. At least you deserve recognition for challenging my message.
It could just be that the other people are tired of you and don't want to take the time to
respond. Me? I am tired of people saying generalities about ALL Americans. Nobody has a corner on
the market of any "attitude." I think when somebody makes a generality, he ought to be called on
it. For all you know, you may have gotten into a dozen killfiles instantly.
Pat in TX