UK and Europe · Public discussion

Remove forks from Carlton Corsa bike

Started by Jonathan Campbell · · Last activity · 10 posts · 757 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
12 April 2008
Last activity
13 April 2008
Original author
Jonathan Campbell
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
757
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want
    to remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

    Please how?

    I have loosened a sort of sleeve nut from just below the handlebars, but
    not much useful is revealed. Then, below that and (looks like) attached
    to the frame is a collar (used to be chrome) and then on the fork end
    there is a similar collar. Neither collar has any obvious means of removal.

    TIA,

    Jon C.

  2. Jonathan Campbell said:

    Please how?

    Undo the screw in the top of the stem - that will (hopefully) let the
    wedge loose that is inside the head tube, holding the fork in place.

    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html and it should all becone clear.

    Then undo the headset locknut and adjustable race:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html#headset

    Then the fork will drop out. Watch out for the ball bearings that may
    scatter.. fridge suck is a strong force...

    Good luck with the wheel truing!

    bfn,

    Tony B

  3. "Jonathan Campbell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to
    remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

    Please how?

    I have loosened a sort of sleeve nut from just below the handlebars, but
    not much useful is revealed. Then, below that and (looks like) attached to
    the frame is a collar (used to be chrome) and then on the fork end there
    is a similar collar. Neither collar has any obvious means of removal.

    TIA,

    Jon C.

    Just to be slightly pedantic - I assume you mean a Carlton Corsair .... 531
    sports/touring frame

    Another post has already mentioned the stem removal process.

    The bits you refer to at the top and bottom of the headtube ("collar, used
    to be chrome"😉 are a push-fit in the frame and will need to be tapped out -
    although the fork steerer tube will come out when the headnut is undone
    (there may also be a threaded locking ring) - various methods for getting
    the bearing cups out - and there's even a tool for the purpose ... but have
    a look at my briefings at www.beewee.org.uk for some tips and ideas on
    working with old bikes.

    The idea for using a fork for wheel-truing is bit haphazard IMHO - the ends
    of the axle really need to be held to ensure accurate centring.

    What is useful with an old frame is to use the front fork clamped in a
    bike-stand for "off-the-bike" wheel cleaning - wheel is held by the axle and
    can be thoroughly cleaned - likewise cutting the "rear triangle" (seat tube
    and stays) off a frame and using that in a bike stand makes an equally
    useful holder for cleaning the rear wheel.

    RG

  4. RG said:

    "Jonathan Campbell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to
    remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

    Please how?

    I have loosened a sort of sleeve nut from just below the handlebars, but
    not much useful is revealed. Then, below that and (looks like) attached to
    the frame is a collar (used to be chrome) and then on the fork end there
    is a similar collar. Neither collar has any obvious means of removal.

    TIA,

    Jon C.

    Just to be slightly pedantic - I assume you mean a Carlton Corsair .... 531
    sports/touring frame

    Sounds correct.

    Quoted message said:

    Another post has already mentioned the stem removal process.

    The bits you refer to at the top and bottom of the headtube ("collar, used
    to be chrome"😉 are a push-fit in the frame and will need to be tapped out -
    although the fork steerer tube will come out when the headnut is undone
    (there may also be a threaded locking ring) - various methods for getting
    the bearing cups out - and there's even a tool for the purpose ... but have
    a look at my briefings at www.beewee.org.uk for some tips and ideas on
    working with old bikes.

    The idea for using a fork for wheel-truing is bit haphazard IMHO - the ends
    of the axle really need to be held to ensure accurate centring.

    What is useful with an old frame is to use the front fork clamped in a
    bike-stand for "off-the-bike" wheel cleaning - wheel is held by the axle and
    can be thoroughly cleaned - likewise cutting the "rear triangle" (seat tube
    and stays) off a frame and using that in a bike stand makes an equally
    useful holder for cleaning the rear wheel.

    Thanks, and to Tony B. The forks are removed. I'll not confess to the
    whole Internet the amount of brute force and ignorance that was used ---
    the latter in abundance.

    Thanks also regarding the wheel truing idea and, for me, the more
    realistic wheel cleaning uses for forks and rear of the frame. Some time
    ago I asked advice on wheel truing and was about to set myself up with
    the requisite tools. I bought only the spoke key and then persuaded
    myself that the wheel which was the immediate problem did not in fact
    need truing.

    Best regards,

    Jon C.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    "RG" <nochance> says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jonathan Campbell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to
    remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

    Just to be slightly pedantic - I assume you mean a Carlton Corsair .... 531
    sports/touring frame

    Probably not a safe assumption - Carlton did make a Corsa model.

    Quoted message said:

    The idea for using a fork for wheel-truing is bit haphazard IMHO - the ends
    of the axle really need to be held to ensure accurate centring.

    All the jig has to do is support pointers for axial and radial runout -
    check dish with a dishing tool.

    Quoted message said:


    What is useful with an old frame is to use the front fork clamped in a
    bike-stand for "off-the-bike" wheel cleaning - wheel is held by the axle and
    can be thoroughly cleaned - likewise cutting the "rear triangle" (seat tube
    and stays) off a frame and using that in a bike stand makes an equally
    useful holder for cleaning the rear wheel.


    I've always found a sink full of hot soapy water to be the most useful
    thing for cleaning wheels.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, Jonathan
    Campbell
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want
    to remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

    Please how?


    Unscrew the bolt at the top of the handlebar stem a few turns, then
    knock it in to loosen the retaining wedge inside. Try to remove the
    stem. When you find that it's impossible to move because of 30 years of
    corrosion between the alloy stem and steel forks you can just remove the
    bolt from the stem and cut through the stem with a hacksaw. Remove the
    locknut, adjustable race and any washers, and withdraw the fork. Lots
    of little rusty bearings will probably fall out and roll all over the
    place.

  7. RG said:

    "Jonathan Campbell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    the bearing cups out - and there's even a tool for the purpose ... but have
    a look at my briefings at www.beewee.org.uk for some tips and ideas on
    working with old bikes.

    Nice selection of bikes. Makes me sort of regretful about discarding the
    Corsair --- but, for various reasons, it had lain outside for many
    years; moreover I'm lazy.

    Looks like we had the same Triang trike. I think I got mine Christmas
    1953. Managed to tip myself off it soon later by attempting an
    impossibly sharp turn --- I put that down as my earliest memory.

    The forks remind of another awful moment. I had just been given a
    Raleigh Blue Streak --- my first drop handlebars bike, though nothing
    really sporting about it. A friend was visiting (the awkwardest man who
    ever grew breath and remains so to this day, though still a good friend)
    and he presuaded me to give him a ride on the Blue Streak. So off he
    went, down a hill; the hill had a corner in the middle; awkward friend
    couldn't find the brakes ... into a hedge and then a wall ... many
    thorns in friend, forks bent on bike. Friendship greatly tested.

    Could that Blue Streak have really cost £19 and some pence? (In 1963).

    Best regards,

    Jon C.

  8. Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "RG" <nochance> says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What is useful with an old frame is to use the front fork clamped in a
    bike-stand for "off-the-bike" wheel cleaning - wheel is held by the axle and
    can be thoroughly cleaned - likewise cutting the "rear triangle" (seat tube
    and stays) off a frame and using that in a bike stand makes an equally
    useful holder for cleaning the rear wheel.


    I've always found a sink full of hot soapy water to be the most useful
    thing for cleaning wheels.

    Just don't let SWMBO see you doing it in the kitchen. I used to hose
    by best bike down in the bath!!! Best thing for domestic harmony with
    regard to wheel cleaning is an old washing up bowl full of hot soapy
    water and a car-washing brush in the back yard - do not borrow the
    pot-washing brush!
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  9. In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Cook
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rob Morley said:

    I've always found a sink full of hot soapy water to be the most useful
    thing for cleaning wheels.

    Just don't let SWMBO see you doing it in the kitchen.

    SWMBO wouldn't care.

    Quoted message said:

    I used to hose
    by best bike down in the bath!!! Best thing for domestic harmony with
    regard to wheel cleaning is an old washing up bowl full of hot soapy
    water and a car-washing brush in the back yard

    That's too tough on my knees/back.

    Quoted message said:

    - do not borrow the pot-washing brush!


    She probably wouldn't notice. :-) I keep old pot brushes, tooth
    brushes etc. for precisely this use anyway.

  10. Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "RG" <nochance> says...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jonathan Campbell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to
    remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).


    Just to be slightly pedantic - I assume you mean a Carlton Corsair .... 531
    sports/touring frame

    Probably not a safe assumption - Carlton did make a Corsa model.

    Just checked and, yes, it is a Corsa --- emblazoned across the top bar.

    Jon C.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.