Road Cycling · Public discussion

Relative newcomer to cycling seeking recommendations

Started by Some Guy in Jersey · · Last activity · 19 posts · 973 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
30 November 2005
Last activity
2 December 2005
Original author
Some Guy in Jersey
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
973
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
    get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
    about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
    to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
    and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
    under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
    what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
    Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
    from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
    much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
    that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
    going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
    was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
    I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
    Thanks in advance!

  2. "Some Guy in Jersey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
    get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
    about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
    to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
    and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
    under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
    what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
    Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
    from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
    much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
    that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
    going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
    was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
    I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
    Thanks in advance!


    Well I just bought a Raleigh hybrid about 2 months ago. And it's a great
    bike. It was a bit more than the $300 you spoke of, but at $460 it has a
    better drivetrain, brakes, wheels and tires. I rode it about 1200 miles on a
    "tour" of Florida. With only 1 mechanical problem the whole month and a half
    I was on my trip.

    Here is the page to see it:
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=7&itemid=228&va=0

    I can't say enough good things about it.

    Ken

  3. Actually, the fact that you consider yourself a novice and us experts
    makes this the perfect forum for you to be in. You don't learn much
    talking to idiots, after all. §:-3)>

    As for recommendations, I would say Trek and Giant are the better bets
    for what you're looking for. Back in the good 'ol days I would have said
    Schwinn too, but, alas, Schwinn is no longer Schwinn, if you know what I
    mean

    - -

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    "May you have the winds at your back,
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  4. Some Guy in Jersey said:

    Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
    get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
    about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
    to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
    and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
    under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
    what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
    Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
    from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
    much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
    that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
    going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
    was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
    I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
    Thanks in advance!

    IMHO, the Trek 7200 would definitely be worthy of your consideration. I
    have one & really enjoy riding it (2500+ miles so far since I bought it
    new in late fall of 2003).....not sure of the current price but I'm
    nearly certain it is basically around $300 or so.

  5. "Some Guy in Jersey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
    get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
    about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
    to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
    and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
    under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
    what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
    Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
    from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
    much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
    that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
    going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
    was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
    I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
    Thanks in advance!

    It is good that you are leaning towards light weight. If you have ever
    ridden a decent road bike, you will get tired real quick of needlessly
    lugging around a 30+ pound bike. I personally prefer a converted road bike
    for city riding because of the faster 700c wheels, the light weight, the
    better line of sight and faster braking. Flat handlebars indeed give a more
    upright position, but drop (racing bars) are more comfortable on the hands
    for long rides. There is a greater variety of hand positions with race
    bars.

    Whatever you do, do not get a bike with a suspension seatpost, front shocks,
    or the 1 foot-wide "matron seat". The first two just add several pounds of
    needless weight and energy-sapping suspension bob. The latter will feel
    comfortable for the first 10 minutes, but will rub your thighs raw during a
    longer ride. Same for gel seat covers. If you got the right saddle to
    start with, you do not need this.

    Again on suspension: if you are riding 30km/hr down 30 percent grades over
    head-sized rocks, then you need suspension. If you are riding on city
    streets or gravel paths, then 1.5" slick tires provide more than enough
    cushoning. Knobby tires: are you regularly riding through loose gravel and
    mud? If not, slicks are much faster and feature higher traction on smooth
    surfaces.

    My recommendation: covert a 80's vintage mid to high-end Japanese touring or
    road bike to your needs. I see these regularly at yard sales for less than
    $50.

  6. Dave Mayer said:


    Again on suspension: if you are riding 30km/hr down 30 percent grades
    over head-sized rocks, then you need suspension. If you are riding on
    city streets or gravel paths, then 1.5" slick tires provide more than
    enough cushoning.

    Not _quite_ true. My route home from work crosses several asphalt
    seams. Each one I hit is physically painful to my head and crotch (the
    crotch from the shock, and the brain from shaking around in my skull),
    and I have both front & seat suspensions! I can't imagine how bad it'd
    be without 'em.

    Visually they don't appear to be that bad, but...

    --
    Robert Uhl <http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl>
    Who does not love wine, women, and song,
    Remains a fool his whole life long.
    --Johann Heinrich Voss

  7. Robert Uhl said:

    Not _quite_ true. My route home from work crosses several asphalt
    seams. Each one I hit is physically painful to my head and crotch (the
    crotch from the shock, and the brain from shaking around in my skull),
    and I have both front & seat suspensions! I can't imagine how bad it'd
    be without 'em.

    Since you know where the bumps are, why is there any weight on your
    [censored] when you cross them? Needing suspension on the road is nothing
    but poor technique - you should only feel the shock in your hands and
    feet, which isn't painful at all.

    --
    Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

  8. Dave Mayer said:

    It is good that you are leaning towards light weight. If you have ever
    ridden a decent road bike, you will get tired real quick of needlessly
    lugging around a 30+ pound bike. I personally prefer a converted road bike
    for city riding because of the faster 700c wheels, the light weight, the
    better line of sight and faster braking. Flat handlebars indeed give a more
    upright position, but drop (racing bars) are more comfortable on the hands
    for long rides. There is a greater variety of hand positions with race
    bars.

    Another difference for me is that I have a greater feeling of control on
    drop bars versus flat bars. Now that I am used to my road bike, I would
    not go back to a mountain bike or anything in between. My routes are on
    average urban streets and I ride on narrow tires. Road shock is not a
    problem if you watch where you are going and learn a little technique.

  9. Some Guy in Jersey said:

    Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
    get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
    about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
    to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
    and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
    under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
    what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
    Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
    from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
    much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
    that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
    going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
    was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
    I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
    Thanks in advance!

    I have the Trek 7100, which is cheaper (and not quite as good) as the
    7200 Justa mentioned. I put around 4000 miles on it last year and it
    serves me fine as a commuter bike in New York City. I replaced the
    tires with better ones that don't get flats easily and just replaced
    the rear wheel with a better one because I've broken a few spokes.

    If the 7200 has the better wheel and tires I'd get it. If not,the 7300
    does.

  10. "Some Guy in Jersey" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
    get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
    about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
    to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
    and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
    under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
    what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
    Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
    from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
    much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
    that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
    going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
    was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
    I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
    Thanks in advance!

    Look at the Trek 7X00 or 7X00 FX line, they are most likly what you want.

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback; I appreciate it. I seem to be
    getting lots of recommendations to check out Trek bikes. I'm guessing
    they provide the best bang for the buck for someone like me who can't
    shell out a huge sum of money for a new bike but still wants something
    more durable and enjoyable to ride then what you'd find in places like
    K-Mart, Target, and the like. The cheapest Trek hybrid seems to be the
    7000 - how does it differ from the more expensive models like the 7100,
    7200, etc?

  12. Michael Warner said:


    Quoted message said:

    Not _quite_ true. My route home from work crosses several asphalt
    seams. Each one I hit is physically painful to my head and crotch
    (the crotch from the shock, and the brain from shaking around in my
    skull), and I have both front & seat suspensions! I can't imagine
    how bad it'd be without 'em.

    Since you know where the bumps are, why is there any weight on your
    [censored] when you cross them? Needing suspension on the road is nothing
    but poor technique - you should only feel the shock in your hands and
    feet, which isn't painful at all.

    My brain would still rattle around regardless, no?

    --
    Robert Uhl <http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl>
    French ships are like French women, Sharpe. Beautiful and fast, but
    hopelessly manned. --Captain Chase in 'Sharpe's Trafalgar'

  13. "Some Guy in Jersey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks to everyone who provided feedback; I appreciate it. I seem to be
    getting lots of recommendations to check out Trek bikes. I'm guessing
    they provide the best bang for the buck for someone like me who can't
    shell out a huge sum of money for a new bike but still wants something
    more durable and enjoyable to ride then what you'd find in places like
    K-Mart, Target, and the like. The cheapest Trek hybrid seems to be the
    7000 - how does it differ from the more expensive models like the 7100,
    7200, etc?


    While I was shopping for a bike I also started by looking at the treks. They
    are good bikes, no doubt about that. They main difference in the model
    numbers is the drive train and the wheels. For every increase in model
    number you step up in the quality of both the derailers and the wheels. The
    FX line is the best of the Trek hybrids. It is most like a road bike while
    still being considers a hybrid. But the cost will probably be higher than
    the $300 range. I do recommend being a pain for the local bike shop. I was
    in there about 4 times before I decided on a bike. And make sure they let
    you take it for a ride before you buy it.

    Ken

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Robert Uhl said:
    Michael Warner said:


    Quoted message said:

    Not _quite_ true. My route home from work crosses several asphalt
    seams. Each one I hit is physically painful to my head and crotch
    (the crotch from the shock, and the brain from shaking around in my
    skull), and I have both front & seat suspensions! I can't imagine
    how bad it'd be without 'em.

    Since you know where the bumps are, why is there any weight on your
    [censored] when you cross them? Needing suspension on the road is nothing
    but poor technique - you should only feel the shock in your hands and
    feet, which isn't painful at all.

    My brain would still rattle around regardless, no?

    No. The technique needed here is called "posting," which is a fancy term
    derived from horse-riding for standing on the pedals and getting your
    weight off the seat.

    Your legs and arms act as a natural suspension and absorb the shock with
    ease. This is a basic cycling skill, and while it might not be
    absolutely necessary in riding a bicycle, it is probably the first
    non-necessary new skill a rider usually learns. It's easy.

    My standard commute route includes a drop of a curb. I manage this
    maneuver (with some care) on a road bike with a full saddlebag (~15
    lbs.) and 23 mm tires. I assure you my brain does not rattle, and my
    tires do not pinch-flat, either.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  15. In article <LVujf.1601$Gd6.1026@pd7tw3no>,

    Dave Mayer said:

    "Some Guy in Jersey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
    get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
    about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
    to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
    and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
    under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
    what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
    Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
    from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
    much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
    that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
    going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
    was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
    I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
    Thanks in advance!

    It is good that you are leaning towards light weight. If you have ever
    ridden a decent road bike, you will get tired real quick of needlessly
    lugging around a 30+ pound bike. I personally prefer a converted road bike
    for city riding because of the faster 700c wheels, the light weight, the
    better line of sight and faster braking. Flat handlebars indeed give a more
    upright position, but drop (racing bars) are more comfortable on the hands
    for long rides. There is a greater variety of hand positions with race
    bars.

    Quoted message said:

    My recommendation: covert a 80's vintage mid to high-end Japanese touring or
    road bike to your needs. I see these regularly at yard sales for less than
    $50.

    I am convinced that the new hotness will be using cyclocross levers to
    convert road bikes to fast "city bikes."

    The trick here is that there's these cable-interrupting levers, catching
    on fast in cyclocross, that look and act like a set of flat-bar brake
    levers on the bar-tops of a drop bar. Since they keep the function of
    the standard levers, and they give you the functional advantage of a
    flat bar (quick access to the brakes) in the bar-top position, it's the
    best of both worlds.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-levers-drop.html#cross

    The Tektro levers shown there are cheap and weigh less than my back fat.
    And I don't have that much back fat.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  16. In article <LVujf.1601$Gd6.1026@pd7tw3no>,

    Dave Mayer said:

    "Some Guy in Jersey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
    get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
    about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
    to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
    and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
    under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
    what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
    Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
    from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
    much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
    that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
    going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
    was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
    I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
    Thanks in advance!

    It is good that you are leaning towards light weight. If you have ever
    ridden a decent road bike, you will get tired real quick of needlessly
    lugging around a 30+ pound bike. I personally prefer a converted road bike
    for city riding because of the faster 700c wheels, the light weight, the
    better line of sight and faster braking. Flat handlebars indeed give a more
    upright position, but drop (racing bars) are more comfortable on the hands
    for long rides. There is a greater variety of hand positions with race
    bars.

    Quoted message said:

    My recommendation: covert a 80's vintage mid to high-end Japanese touring or
    road bike to your needs. I see these regularly at yard sales for less than
    $50.

    I am convinced that the new hotness will be using cyclocross levers to
    convert road bikes to fast "city bikes."

    The trick here is that there's these cable-interrupting levers, catching
    on fast in cyclocross, that look and act like a set of flat-bar brake
    levers on the bar-tops of a drop bar. Since they keep the function of
    the standard levers, and they give you the functional advantage of a
    flat bar (quick access to the brakes) in the bar-top position, it's the
    best of both worlds.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-levers-drop.html#cross

    The Tektro levers shown there are cheap and weigh less than my back fat.
    And I don't have that much back fat.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  17. Ken M wrote, in part:

    Quoted message said:

    The FX line is the best of the Trek hybrids. It is most like a road
    bike while still being considers a hybrid. But the cost will probably
    be higher than the $300 range.

    It's a good time to buy 2005 models. A big store here in Chicago is
    selling the '05 7300 FX for $315, and it looks like a nice bike. I've
    had a couple of lower-end Trek hybrids (no suspension fork) over the
    years and they were always satisfactory. Thieves liked them, anyway.

    --
    Paul Turner

  18. "Paul Turner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ken M wrote, in part:

    Quoted message said:

    The FX line is the best of the Trek hybrids. It is most like a road
    bike while still being considers a hybrid. But the cost will probably
    be higher than the $300 range.

    It's a good time to buy 2005 models. A big store here in Chicago is
    selling the '05 7300 FX for $315, and it looks like a nice bike. I've
    had a couple of lower-end Trek hybrids (no suspension fork) over the
    years and they were always satisfactory. Thieves liked them, anyway.

    --
    Paul Turner


    WOW that might be a good deal. I looked at an FX and the price was like $550
    or close to it. I think it was the 7500FX which I think is the tip-top model
    of the line.

    Ken

  19. Ryan Cousineau said:


    No. The technique needed here is called "posting," which is a fancy
    term derived from horse-riding for standing on the pedals and getting
    your weight off the seat.

    Your legs and arms act as a natural suspension and absorb the shock with
    ease. This is a basic cycling skill, and while it might not be
    absolutely necessary in riding a bicycle, it is probably the first
    non-necessary new skill a rider usually learns. It's easy.

    Oh, I do that when dropping off of kerbs or when going downhill--but
    this particular section is an uphill; if I keep spinning I can keep a
    good speed, but if I stop then I slow down way too much. I suppose I
    should learn how to pedal while standing off the seat a bit...

    --
    Robert Uhl <http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl>
    As a client for MS Exchange, MS Outlook is quite good. As an Internet
    e-mail client [e.g, POP3/IMAP], it's roughly equivalent to strapping a
    few pounds of plastique to your gonads and painting a day-glo orange
    bulls-eye on your knickers. -- Morely Dotes in nan-ae

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.