Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

recumbent similar to df

Started by Kevin Baker · · Last activity · 6 posts · 765 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
10 June 2003
Last activity
12 June 2003
Original author
Kevin Baker
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
765
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.

    Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed tendonitis
    in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem. I don't
    really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want something
    where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.

    thanks, Kevin

  2. "Kevin Baker" skrev...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem.
    I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want
    something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.

    Hmm, if it had similar geometry wouldn't you experience the same problem? What makes it a
    recumbent usually is that it has a geometry unlike your basic DF. There are some "almost
    DF"-recumbents/hybrids around but you would probably have to testride them to be sure they
    would help you.

    ransbikes.comFusion.htm
    visionrecumbents.comThoroughbred.pdf If you like the Vision, you should probably
    check out the Dursley-Pedersen. Same geometry but a lot more stylish.
    pedersenbicycles.compedersenbicycles.com

    If you on the other hand is looking for the recumbent equivalent of a roadbike you should consider
    Bachetta, Volae and Vision highracers. Still IMHO. x-eyed.combike1.html
    hostelshoppe.comsearch.pl visionrecumbents.comvisionrecumbents.com
    (bikes/60 series "Sabers"😉

    Good luck Mikael

  3. Try a short wheelbase recumbent with a high bottom bracket which gives great pedal geometry for
    power transfer like that of df racer, except the rider is rotated 90 degrees in to a reclining
    position. These tend to be good hill climbers too. Some recommendations:

    Bacchetta's line of bikes (e.g., Strada, Aero) Lightning's bikes: P-38, R-84

    Beware though, after a month of riding these bikes, you may discover two things:
    1.) You've become a fan of the comfort provided by a recumbent.
    2.) You may actually end up faster on these types of recumbents.

    Have fun.

    Larry

    "Kevin Baker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.

    Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem.
    I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want
    something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.

    thanks, Kevin

  4. "Laurence D. Preble, D.C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Try a short wheelbase recumbent with a high bottom bracket which gives great pedal geometry for
    power transfer like that of df racer, except the rider is rotated 90 degrees in to a reclining
    position. These tend to be good hill climbers too. Some recommendations:

    Bacchetta's line of bikes (e.g., Strada, Aero) Lightning's bikes: P-38, R-84

    Beware though, after a month of riding these bikes, you may discover two things:
    1.) You've become a fan of the comfort provided by a recumbent.
    2.) You may actually end up faster on these types of recumbents.

    Have fun.

    Larry


    You might also discover that a short wheel base recumbent with a high bottom bracket might not be
    the bike for you. Some people have trouble with a foot position higher than the seat. A long wheel
    base with a low bottom bracket is preferred by many riders for cycling long distances.

    Anyway, in most cases, expect to be slower than with you DF. Especially hill climbing. Long wheel
    base bents like a Tour Easy or GRR are faster on the flats and downhill than DF's, but still fall
    behind when climbing.

    Quoted message said:

    "Kevin Baker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.

    Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the
    problem. I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $),
    I just want something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my
    road bike.

    thanks, Kevin

  5. A high seat and low crank will feel the closest to the handling of your df and probably be easiest
    to learn. Not a good aero profile. A high crank and low seat will have a simular body position (
    rotated 90 degrees ) to your df and have a better aero profile. The lower the seat the more likely
    you will need to relearn how to handle the machine. Steve "Speedy" Delaire

    Kevin Baker said:

    I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.

    Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem.
    I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want
    something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.

    thanks, Kevin

    -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- newsfeeds.comnewsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  6. [email hidden] (Kevin Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.

    Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem.
    I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want
    something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.


    Based on your situation, I think you're really asking which recumbent will use the same muscles, so
    you don't lose too much conditioning while you're off the upright? This may be a different question
    than what the others are trying to answer.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.