General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Reconstituted dried tofu:better than the real thing

Started by Jke · · Last activity · 18 posts · 364 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 May 2006
Last activity
23 May 2006
Original author
Jke
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
364
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Today, I used dried tofu for the first time. Soaked in cold water for a few
    hours (the package said to do this for at elast 10 mins). I found it
    continued to grow slowly over those hours.

    Cubed it. It was firmer than regular tofu. Mmore spongy, too.And the taste
    was extremely bland. It was still drier than regular fresh tofu.

    Simmered it in a Thai-style coconut sauce (coconut milk, carrots, green
    curry paste, lemon juice, dried tangerine skin, kaffir lime leaves, fish
    sauce, lemon grass. Browned sauteed nions plus spring onios added towards
    then end, then sprinkeled with coriander leaves).

    It was wonderful. Much tastier than regular tofu: more bite, and it had
    absorbed the flafvors better, too. I think this is a keeper, even it costs
    mroe than the fresh stuff. Easy to keep in the pantry, too.

  2. Jke said:

    Today, I used dried tofu for the first time. Soaked in cold water for a few
    hours (the package said to do this for at elast 10 mins). I found it
    continued to grow slowly over those hours.

    Cubed it. It was firmer than regular tofu. Mmore spongy, too.And the taste
    was extremely bland. It was still drier than regular fresh tofu.

    Simmered it in a Thai-style coconut sauce (coconut milk, carrots, green
    curry paste, lemon juice, dried tangerine skin, kaffir lime leaves, fish
    sauce, lemon grass. Browned sauteed nions plus spring onios added towards
    then end, then sprinkeled with coriander leaves).

    It was wonderful. Much tastier than regular tofu: more bite, and it had
    absorbed the flafvors better, too. I think this is a keeper, even it costs
    mroe than the fresh stuff. Easy to keep in the pantry, too.

    Did the instruction for reconstituting it say anything about using
    stock or flavoring agents while it soaks? That would seem to me to be
    a great way to "marinate" the tofu.

    maxine in ri

  3. Quoted message said:


    Did the instruction for reconstituting it say anything about using
    stock or flavoring agents while it soaks? That would seem to me to be
    a great way to "marinate" the tofu.

    It didn't specify that. But I think it's a great idea.

    Quoted message said:


    maxine in ri

  4. Jke said:

    Today, I used dried tofu for the first time. Soaked in cold water for a few
    hours (the package said to do this for at elast 10 mins). I found it
    continued to grow slowly over those hours.

    Cubed it. It was firmer than regular tofu. Mmore spongy, too.And the taste
    was extremely bland. It was still drier than regular fresh tofu.

    Simmered it in a Thai-style coconut sauce (coconut milk, carrots, green
    curry paste, lemon juice, dried tangerine skin, kaffir lime leaves, fish
    sauce, lemon grass. Browned sauteed nions plus spring onios added towards
    then end, then sprinkeled with coriander leaves).

    It was wonderful. Much tastier than regular tofu: more bite, and it had
    absorbed the flafvors better, too. I think this is a keeper, even it costs
    mroe than the fresh stuff. Easy to keep in the pantry, too.

    I don't know about better than the real thing but this sure sounds like
    a great product for breast implants... hey, you can choose your own
    firmness and tofu is safe... I just wonder if La Leche League will
    approve of your Thai flavored soy milk.

    Sheldon


  5. Quoted message said:


    I don't know about better than the real thing but this sure sounds like
    a great product for breast implants... hey, you can choose your own
    firmness and tofu is safe...

    Yeah... but it's biodegradeable.

    I just wonder if La Leche League will

    Quoted message said:

    approve of your Thai flavored soy milk.

    It didn't taste like soy milk at all. If that reassures you 🙂 The soaking
    water still tasted like water, too.

    Quoted message said:


    Sheldon

  6. Jke said:
    Quoted message said:


    Did the instruction for reconstituting it say anything about using
    stock or flavoring agents while it soaks? That would seem to me to be
    a great way to "marinate" the tofu.

    It didn't specify that. But I think it's a great idea.

    Quoted message said:


    maxine in ri

    I missed the original post on this...
    Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting
    it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
    quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

    tia
    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  7. The Bubbo said:


    I missed the original post on this...
    Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting
    it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
    quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

    tia

    Just experienced that about an hour ago. There was half a cake covered
    with water in a snap top container in the fridge that was forgotten for
    a few weeks. I have a strong stomach but that has to be one of the
    nastiest smells ever.

    A good solution if you want to keep tofu on hand is to buy the one that
    is packed in a "tetra pak". There is very little water and no air
    voids. The brand I usually get is made by "Mori-Nu".

    http://www.morinu.com/

  8. George said:
    The Bubbo said:


    I missed the original post on this...
    Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of


    reconstituting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
    quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

    tia

    Just experienced that about an hour ago. There was half a cake covered
    with water in a snap top container in the fridge that was forgotten for
    a few weeks. I have a strong stomach but that has to be one of the
    nastiest smells ever.

    A good solution if you want to keep tofu on hand is to buy the one that
    is packed in a "tetra pak". There is very little water and no air
    voids. The brand I usually get is made by "Mori-Nu".

    http://www.morinu.com/

    how does the stuff in the tetra-pak compare to the stuff in the tub in terms
    of texture and consistency? can I press and fry it?

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!


  9. Quoted message said:


    I missed the original post on this...
    Where do you get dried tofu?

    I vought mine in an organic store that has a Japanese section (in The
    Netherlands). I will look out for it next time I'm a Chinese shop. This was
    the first time I had ever seen it.

    That probably doesn't help you in your part of the world?

    I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting

    Quoted message said:

    it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
    quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

    The prepackages stuff ehre lasts about a 2-3 weeks, I think.Unopened. I
    rarely use up a whole block in one go and don't like it so much that I find
    it easy to use up the rest. So I understand your problem with the fresh
    stuff.
    It does help to keep it in salted water in the fridge and to replace that
    water regularly.

    Quoted message said:


    tia
    --
    .:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  10. Jke said:

    It does help to keep it in salted water in the fridge and to replace that
    water regularly.

    Never tried salt....I've always used straight tap water/ Does the salt
    help preserve it? Does it give it a strong salty flavor?

  11. George said:


    Exactly the same. It comes in all of the textures from soft to extra
    firm. The nice part is that tetra-pak is not a "space food" method with
    lots of preservatives. It is simply an aseptic packaging method with no
    air voids. I would see it in the Japanese market but never bought it
    because I thought it was "space food". A Japanese friend said that is
    what they buy and the box doesn't list anything except tofu and you
    can't notice any difference.

    okay thanks. I was always afraid it was mushier since all the recipes were for
    blending in to things.

    I'll pick some up just to have on hand (and quietly listen to my lecture about
    tetrapaks aren't recyclable...)

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  12. Jke said:
    Quoted message said:


    I missed the original post on this...
    Where do you get dried tofu?

    I vought mine in an organic store that has a Japanese section (in The
    Netherlands). I will look out for it next time I'm a Chinese shop. This was
    the first time I had ever seen it.

    That probably doesn't help you in your part of the world?

    thanks, i'll check out the asian markets around town to see what I can find.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  13. "Jude" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jke said:

    It does help to keep it in salted water in the fridge and to replace that
    water regularly.

    Never tried salt....I've always used straight tap water/

    I think that's what the package recommends, too,. i add the salt because it
    does have a preserving effect.

    Does the salt

    Quoted message said:

    help preserve it? Does it give it a strong salty flavor?

    The water it comes in is salty and the tofu in those package is slightly
    salty, anyway. And not very absorbent, if my marinades are an indication.
    The only get into the tofu about 2-3 millimeters deep (i.e. 1/10 of an
    inch).So using salty water isn't a problem, IMO.

    Quoted message said:
  14. George said:

    The Bubbo wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting
    it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
    quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

    Quoted message said:

    Just experienced that about an hour ago. There was half a cake covered
    with water in a snap top container in the fridge that was forgotten for
    a few weeks. I have a strong stomach but that has to be one of the
    nastiest smells ever.

    A few weeks it too long, but I have no trouble keeping tofu
    for 7 to 10 days. It just needs to be put in a clean container
    with fresh water.

    Also, there are brands of tofu that sell in smaller-sized units.
    Wildwood has a 8 oz package of tofu, for example.

    Steve

  15. Jke said:

    "Jude" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jke said:

    It does help to keep it in salted water in the fridge and to replace that
    water regularly.

    Never tried salt....I've always used straight tap water/

    I think that's what the package recommends, too,.

    LOL...not my package! Just checked...it says to cover with "clean
    water".

    i add the salt because it

    Quoted message said:

    does have a preserving effect.

    Does the salt

    Quoted message said:

    help preserve it? Does it give it a strong salty flavor?

    The water it comes in is salty and the tofu in those package is slightly
    salty, anyway.

    Again, the water my tofu comes in is not salty. Just plain water. No
    salt listed on the packaging, no salt taste to it. But, now that I
    think about it, salt has been used as a preservative for a ong long
    time, so I can't see why it might not help. Although, we usually use up
    tofu pretty quickly. Half for dinner, the other half for lunch the next
    day. Pressed, martinated and baked is my favorite, although my daughter
    loves it cubed, plain, tossed with chickpeas.

    Quoted message said:

    And not very absorbent, if my marinades are an indication.
    The only get into the tofu about 2-3 millimeters deep (i.e. 1/10 of an
    inch).So using salty water isn't a problem, IMO.

    Our tofu comes in a thick block soaking in water...probably a good 3 to
    4 inches deep.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
  16. Steve Pope said:


    A few weeks it too long, but I have no trouble keeping tofu
    for 7 to 10 days. It just needs to be put in a clean container
    with fresh water.

    Ah-hah! You use fresh water too, huh? I try to drain and refill it
    every day to prolong its life. But it sounds like you don't salt it
    either. Maybe another American / European difference.

    Quoted message said:


    Also, there are brands of tofu that sell in smaller-sized units.
    Wildwood has a 8 oz package of tofu, for example.

    Steve

  17. The Bubbo said:


    Jke said:
    Quoted message said:


    Did the instruction for reconstituting it say anything about using
    stock or flavoring agents while it soaks? That would seem to me to be
    a great way to "marinate" the tofu.

    It didn't specify that. But I think it's a great idea.

    Quoted message said:


    maxine in ri

    I missed the original post on this...
    Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting
    it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
    quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

    tia
    --
    .:Heather:.

    Any Asian shop should have some. Failing that they will also have
    make-it-yourself tofu. Make it when you need it.

  18. "Jude" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jke said:

    "Jude" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Jke wrote:

    > It does help to keep it in salted water in the fridge and to replace
    > that
    > water regularly.

    Never tried salt....I've always used straight tap water/

    I think that's what the package recommends, too,.

    LOL...not my package! Just checked...it says to cover with "clean
    water".

    i add the salt because it

    Quoted message said:

    does have a preserving effect.

    Does the salt

    Quoted message said:

    help preserve it? Does it give it a strong salty flavor?

    The water it comes in is salty and the tofu in those package is slightly
    salty, anyway.

    Again, the water my tofu comes in is not salty. Just plain water. No
    salt listed on the packaging, no salt taste to it. But, now that I
    think about it, salt has been used as a preservative for a ong long
    time, so I can't see why it might not help. Although, we usually use up
    tofu pretty quickly. Half for dinner, the other half for lunch the next
    day. Pressed, martinated and baked is my favorite, although my daughter
    loves it cubed, plain, tossed with chickpeas.

    Quoted message said:

    And not very absorbent, if my marinades are an indication.
    The only get into the tofu about 2-3 millimeters deep (i.e. 1/10 of an
    inch).So using salty water isn't a problem, IMO.

    Our tofu comes in a thick block soaking in water...probably a good 3 to
    4 inches deep.

    Sound similar to what is sold here. I usually cube mine before marinating
    it.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.