Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Recommendation for a good hybrid bike

Started by pj · · Last activity · 10 posts · 444 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 February 2006
Last activity
20 February 2006
Original author
pj
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
444
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

    I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
    range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
    What bike do you recommend and why.

    I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so durability
    is also high on my list.

    Thanks in advance,
    -Pete

  2. pj said:

    Hi,

    I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

    I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
    range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
    What bike do you recommend and why.

    Go to all of your local bike shop(s) and look at the under $400
    hybrids. Write down what model/brand of components they have. When
    you compare your list you will likely see all of the bikes priced the
    same ($250 or $350) have the same shifters and derailleurs. And all of
    the other parts are branded/made by the bike company. From this you
    can conclude the bikes are all pretty much the same. I'm guessing all
    of the house brand bike components in the world are made by the same
    factory in China. There is really no best value at this price point
    because all of the bike companies are competing on price and have wrung
    every bit of excess cost and profit margin out of the bikes to get them
    to the price point they can sell them to new bicyclists and then sell
    them lots of expensive helmets and shorts and shoes and gloves with
    high profit margins. Bike shop makes $20 on the bike and $80 on the
    gloves, shoes, helmet, shorts. They are happy. And even if you end up
    paying 20% too much for the bike, you are only out $50. For most
    people, not a life and death amount.

    So, go find a shop you like. One that treats you nice. One that seems
    competent. Lets you ride the bike on a long test ride. Tries to fit
    you correctly. Hopefully you know what fits you. And has a bike that
    looks good. No point in buying a bike you don't like the looks of when
    there are lots of nice looking bikes.

    For best value, buying one of the hybrid bikes from Performance when
    they have their 20% coupon and rebate going may be the best. Assuming
    you are a competent bike mechanic. Or maybe best of all is to find a
    used hybrid for sale locally. I'm sure there are lots of people who
    start with a hybrid and then decide they want something different and
    don't want the cheap hybrid taking up space in the garage. I have a
    friend who sold his decent Giant hybrid to another friend for $100
    after he bought a nice road bike. The Giant had a computer and
    clipless pedals already installed.

    Many bike shops and bike clubs have free want ads either in the store
    or monthly newsletter. Just ask and you might find a used hybrid real
    cheap and easy.

    Quoted message said:


    I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so durability
    is also high on my list.

    Thanks in advance,
    -Pete

  3. Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

    I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
    range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
    What bike do you recommend and why.

    I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so durability
    is also high on my list.

    Thanks in advance,
    -Pete

    Durability has little to do with the bike you choose. It's more a
    matter of proper initial build, use and maintenance.

    Why do you specify an aluminum frame? In you price range, that will
    exclude some good choices. Perhaps you assume that an aluminum frame
    will result in a lighter bike, but that is not at all necessarily so.

    And that word "hybrid". Usually it means flat bars, 700c wheels with
    fat tires, a huge squishy seat, and a sit-up-and-beg riding position,
    which means a bike designed for slow rides in a park. Yuck. I'd
    suggest you look at the many light roadsters now available with flat
    bars (I'm assuming you prefer those), which will be more comfortable and
    speedier.

    --
    Ted Bennett

  4. "Ted Bennett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

    I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
    range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
    What bike do you recommend and why.

    I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so
    durability
    is also high on my list.

    Thanks in advance,
    -Pete

    Durability has little to do with the bike you choose. It's more a
    matter of proper initial build, use and maintenance.

    Why do you specify an aluminum frame? In you price range, that will
    exclude some good choices. Perhaps you assume that an aluminum frame
    will result in a lighter bike, but that is not at all necessarily so.

    In that price range, an aluminum frame will most definitely be lighter.

    Quoted message said:

    And that word "hybrid". Usually it means flat bars, 700c wheels with
    fat tires, a huge squishy seat, and a sit-up-and-beg riding position,
    which means a bike designed for slow rides in a park. Yuck. I'd
    suggest you look at the many light roadsters now available with flat
    bars (I'm assuming you prefer those), which will be more comfortable and
    speedier.

    For who? Maybe for you it may be more comfortable, but the vast majority of
    recreational riders don't need a flat bar road bike. In addition, many have
    fused neck vertebrae and back problems that prevent them from riding in a
    more aero position.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. pj said:

    Hi,

    I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

    I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
    range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
    What bike do you recommend and why.

    I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so durability
    is also high on my list.

    Thanks in advance,
    -Pete


    Hey Pete,

    I own a hybrid, a Raleigh, it's a great bike for around town rides. I
    own the c200 aluminum model, it's a bit more than your stated budget,
    but I have 3,000 miles on mine with only 1 punture flat, 1 replaced
    chain, and two broken spokes, caused by being forced off the road while
    on a 1,200 mile tour. It's not listed on the Raleigh site any longer,
    but here are the other models they offer as hybrids:
    http://www.raleighusa.com/depts.asp?deptid=7

    Also when I was looking at hybrids, I looked at Trek bikes. The 7100
    series is right in line with your budget. They are fine bikes, I went
    with Raleigh only because they had a good deal on them at the shop where
    I bought it. Here is the hybrid line from Trek:
    http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1312600&f=25

    Ken
    --
    You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
    having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  6. Phil Lee said:

    ...
    For who? Maybe for you it may be more comfortable, but the vast majority of
    recreational riders don't need a flat bar road bike. In addition, many have
    fused neck vertebrae and back problems that prevent them from riding in a
    more aero position.

    My (occupational) back injury does not prevent me from riding in a
    highly aerodynamic position using flat bars. 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman

  7. "pj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
    range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
    What bike do you recommend and why.

    I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so


    durability

    Quoted message said:

    is also high on my list.

    My wife has a 2002 Specialized Crossroads that cost maybe $260 (on sale, I
    think). It's not astoundingly heavy. She rides it every day, 8miles or so.
    I reckon it has 5000miles on it at least now, chain has been kept adequately
    lubed, and it's had very little trouble:
    - Chain, cassette and BB all replaced very recently for the first time. Not
    bad lifetime for chain and cassette, although it was definitely use "to the
    death"...
    - Wheels have never gone out of true (Alex rims on Specialized hubs, I
    think), no broken spokes. She's about 160lbs, so no featherweight.
    - I'm inclined to think the front tyre is still original equipment
    - At least 3 sets of brake pads replaced, one set of brake cables
    - Handlebar grips went all sticky and got replaced fairly recently.
    - Suspension seat post came unscrewed once that I had to fix for her.

    I think it's holding up very well on the durability ticket. Then again,
    so's my late 80s Gitane with Columbus tubing, except the rear rim gave out a
    year ago.

  8. Hi Simon,

    My current hybrid is an OLD steel Crossroads. I'm fairly happy with it
    except it weighs a fair bit and I've run the pookey out of it so it
    will need a fair bit of maintenance in the near future. My thought was
    that I could avoid the maintenance costs and use that money for a
    partial payment towards a new lighter bike. I've checked out Raleigh,
    Ibex, Trek 7100 and 7200, and Specialized Crossroads Sport. A local
    dealer has a pretty decent deal in a leftover 2005 Crossroads Sport and
    at the moment, I'm leaning in that direction, mainly because of that
    deal. If I found similar deals on the other bikes I mentioned, they
    might be on the top of my list, but at the moment the 2005 Crossroads
    Sport seems to top my bang-for-the-buck list.

    If anyone has any pro's or con's concerning the Crossroads Sport,
    please speak up, I'm very interested in getting your opinion.

    Best Regards, and thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts,
    -Pete

  9. I've been really happy with Raleigh's SC series. You'll have enough
    money left for fenders and lights.

  10. "Adam Rush" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been really happy with Raleigh's SC series. You'll have enough
    money left for fenders and lights.

    I have a Raleigh SC tandem, fine but for the supplied tyres, which both had
    sidewall failures under 1000miles.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.