General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

REC: Black Bean Chili

Started by Damsel in dis Dress · · Last activity · 48 posts · 354 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 August 2007
Last activity
12 August 2007
Original author
Damsel in dis Dress
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
354
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–48 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Damsel in dis Dress said:

    BUBBA!!!! Thankee for the vindication. ROFL! (Have you tried my
    chili, kiddo?)

    Not yet, but it is in my future. I like chili and I like black beans.
    I'm planning to omit the green pepper (don't like bell peppers) and add
    more chili powder and cayenne pepper. Not sure I'll retain the "chili"
    name of the dish, either. ;-)

    Bubba

  2. Default User said:
    Victor Sack said:
    Default User said:

    My usual comment is that I find it strange to have both ground and
    diced beef in the same chili.

    It gives a range of textures. It may not be to one's preference, but
    strange it ain't, at least not to me. I'm reminded of gazpacho, which
    often consists of puréed or very finely chopped vegetables, as well as
    the same vegetables diced.

    We're talking about chili, not gazpacho. Large variations in texture is
    not normally considered a plus.

    You are kind of contradicting yourself. First, you say you find it
    strange to have different textures in chili; now you say it is not
    normally considered a plus. If it is strange, then who has been
    considering all those textures for pluses or minuses and defining them
    as normal or not? Are you sure you are not mixing up personal
    expectations or preferences and statistics?

    Victor

  3. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:48:02 +0200, [email hidden] (Victor Sack)

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    BUBBA!!!! Thankee for the vindication. ROFL! (Have you tried my
    chili, kiddo?)

    Not yet, but it is in my future. I like chili and I like black beans.
    I'm planning to omit the green pepper (don't like bell peppers) and add
    more chili powder and cayenne pepper. Not sure I'll retain the "chili"
    name of the dish, either. ;-)

    Oh, so you're one of THEM! I see how it is now. Whatcha gonna call
    it? Black bean slop? ROFL!

    (Some people are so difficult)
    Carol

    --
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini/

  4. Ophelia said:
    sf said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    This looks scrumptious! Wonder what we'd do with the rest of the
    bottle of champagne. Do they sell it in mini bottles?



    BTW: Yes, but you'll probably have to hunt for it.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the recipe I use calls for a full bottle of champagne. What you do is
    add it in two parts and reduce it to a syrup each time. I just use
    leftover champagne (whatever the amount) for that dish. It's a great
    way to dispose of champage from a party the night before.

    Hmm I don't understand the concept of leftover champagne <G>


    LOL! I totally understand, but even the impossible happens from time
    to time. No need to sacrifice a perfectly good bottle of fresh
    champagne as a mere ingredient.

    😉

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

  5. sf said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    This looks scrumptious! Wonder what we'd do with the rest of the
    bottle of champagne. Do they sell it in mini bottles?

    the recipe I use calls for a full bottle of champagne. What you do is
    add it in two parts and reduce it to a syrup each time. I just use
    leftover champagne (whatever the amount) for that dish. It's a great
    way to dispose of champage from a party the night before.


    I have a recipe for a spit roasted lobster that is basted in champagne
    and butter, with a basting pan to catch the juices as they drop off, and
    the contents of which are turned into a sauce to serve with the lobster,
    Homard a la Broche.
    --
    JL

  6. Joseph Littleshoes said:

    sf wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the recipe I use calls for a full bottle of champagne. What you do is
    add it in two parts and reduce it to a syrup each time. I just use
    leftover champagne (whatever the amount) for that dish. It's a great
    way to dispose of champage from a party the night before.


    I have a recipe for a spit roasted lobster that is basted in champagne
    and butter, with a basting pan to catch the juices as they drop off, and
    the contents of which are turned into a sauce to serve with the lobster,
    Homard a la Broche.

    Spit roasted lobster? How do you get them on the spit? 😉

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

  7. sf said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    This looks scrumptious! Wonder what we'd do with the rest of the
    bottle of champagne. Do they sell it in mini bottles?

    the recipe I use calls for a full bottle of champagne. What you do is
    add it in two parts and reduce it to a syrup each time. I just use
    leftover champagne (whatever the amount) for that dish. It's a great
    way to dispose of champage from a party the night before.


    I have a recipe for a spit roasted lobster that is basted in champagne
    and butter, with a basting pan to catch the juices as they drop off, and
    the contents of which are turned into a sauce to serve with the lobster,
    Homard a la Broche.
    --
    JL

  8. Victor Sack said:
    Default User said:

    Victor Sack wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It gives a range of textures. It may not be to one's preference,
    but strange it ain't, at least not to me. I'm reminded of
    gazpacho, which often consists of puréed or very finely chopped
    vegetables, as well as the same vegetables diced.

    We're talking about chili, not gazpacho. Large variations in
    texture is not normally considered a plus.

    You are kind of contradicting yourself. First, you say you find it
    strange to have different textures in chili; now you say it is not
    normally considered a plus. If it is strange, then who has been
    considering all those textures for pluses or minuses and defining them
    as normal or not? Are you sure you are not mixing up personal
    expectations or preferences and statistics?

    There's two things:

    1. My personal reaction the texture.

    2. The general standard for the dish.

    It could well be that in general, a variation in texture is considered
    a plus, but that I don't personally care for it. However, in this case
    I am agreeing with the general consensus (or at least what I perceive
    to be the general consensus).

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.