"Julian Fox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I am going off road touring with panniers and my full sus bike. I bought
a
Quoted message said:seat post mount Raleigh pannier rack and rode it to test ( loaded up with only 7kg ). What a
disaster, the rack waggled from side to side (the
rubber
Quoted message said:pads moved in the clamp ) and the panniers rack rails flexed so much on hitting a big bump that
the pannier mounting brackets touched the rear wheel. I did take great care to fit it well and to
tightly attach.
There are better seatpost mounted racks out there (Delta, Performance, Headland); but even the good
ones are mounted too high, IMO. All of these have a beefy clamp and oversized aluminum boom. You'll
probably want to get a heavy-duty seatpost, too. I don't know if I'd trust an ultralight seatpost
with my weight, plus 30 lbs of cargo cantilevered out 2 ft, being bumped and yanked around for hours
and hours every day. That's a lot of stress on a seatpost.
Quoted message said:I cannot believe that a solid rack does not exist, after all think of the punishment a saddle gets
and it is mounted to the frame in a similar
manner.
There are some excellent racks designed for full-suspension bikes and other bikes that lack
rack/fender eyelets (including road bikes and some recumbents). The Old Man Mountain Cold Springs
rear rack is the best design that I've seen:
oldmanmountain.comcold springs rear details.htmOpen ↗
Quoted message said:Has anyone had success with any design or is there any helpful advice?
I've never tried the OMM racks; but they appear to be just what the doctor ordered. They work with
disc, v-brakes or cantilever brakes. OMM sells a matching front cargo rack designed for use with
suspension forks. All of the Cold Springs and Sherpa models attach at the wheel dropouts, inline
with the axle ends, using an extra long skewer (supplied with the rack). The rack is stabilized with
adjustable stainless steel arms that attach to the V-brake or cantilever brake studs.
Let us know how you end up solving your problem, and post some photos of your touring rig to a
website somewhere so we can check it out.
-=Barry=-