UK and Europe · Public discussion

rear derailer grinding on back gears

Started by - · · Last activity · 6 posts · 659 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
28 June 2006
Last activity
28 June 2006
Original author
-
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
659
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    I've got a shimano sora gear set, giant ocr4. Heres a picture of a rear
    derailer for reference

    http://www.abc-of-mountainbiking.com/images/pics/rear-derailleur.jpg

    The top cog (jockey pulley) on the rear derailer is grinding on some
    gears. The equilibruim position of the jockey pulley is too far
    counterclockwise and this causes the problem. The derailer is attached
    through the wheel bolt and I cant simply twist the whole thing relative
    to the frame as it fits in snugly.

    Any Ideas? tighten the chain by removing links? perhaps try adjust the
    internal spring with an allen key? (would be top allen key fitting in
    this picture http://www.precisiontandems.com/cat_pics/rdultegratrip10.jpg)

    Thanks for the help.
    Richard

  2. "-" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I've got a shimano sora gear set, giant ocr4. Heres a picture of a rear
    derailer for reference

    http://www.abc-of-mountainbiking.com/images/pics/rear-derailleur.jpg

    The top cog (jockey pulley) on the rear derailer is grinding on some
    gears. The equilibruim position of the jockey pulley is too far
    counterclockwise and this causes the problem. The derailer is attached
    through the wheel bolt and I cant simply twist the whole thing relative
    to the frame as it fits in snugly.

    Any Ideas? tighten the chain by removing links? perhaps try adjust the
    internal spring with an allen key? (would be top allen key fitting in
    this picture http://www.precisiontandems.com/cat_pics/rdultegratrip10.jpg)

    Thanks for the help.
    Richard

    It might need a tweak on the B adjuster screw.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#rear

    cheers
    Jon_H

  3. Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried that, the b adjuster screw
    seems to adjust the "end stop" for the derailer when it is fully twisted
    around clockwise.. the derailer atm is too far anticlockwise when in
    equilibrium with the internal spring of the derailer and the chain tension

    Jon_H said:

    "-" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I've got a shimano sora gear set, giant ocr4. Heres a picture of a rear
    derailer for reference

    http://www.abc-of-mountainbiking.com/images/pics/rear-derailleur.jpg

    The top cog (jockey pulley) on the rear derailer is grinding on some
    gears. The equilibruim position of the jockey pulley is too far
    counterclockwise and this causes the problem. The derailer is attached
    through the wheel bolt and I cant simply twist the whole thing relative
    to the frame as it fits in snugly.

    Any Ideas? tighten the chain by removing links? perhaps try adjust the
    internal spring with an allen key? (would be top allen key fitting in
    this picture http://www.precisiontandems.com/cat_pics/rdultegratrip10.jpg)

    Thanks for the help.
    Richard

    It might need a tweak on the B adjuster screw.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#rear

    cheers
    Jon_H

  4. Apart from the possibilities of the mech not being suitable and
    something being bent could your chain be the wrong length ? That is
    does the problem only exist using one of the front rings ? Easy enough
    to fix.

    Jon

  5. - said:

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried that, the b adjuster screw
    seems to adjust the "end stop" for the derailer when it is fully
    twisted around clockwise.. the derailer atm is too far anticlockwise
    when in equilibrium with the internal spring of the derailer and the
    chain tension

    I don't understand that because tightening the "b" screw should do what
    you want. By anticlockwise, I take it you mean when looking from the
    right-hand side of the bike. I also take it that the problem is worse
    when in bottom gear (smallest chainring + largest rear sprocket). Please
    explain the problem using other words if it's worse in other gears
    (because I might be misunderstanding what the problem is in that case).

    If the chain is longer than necessary for the combination of largest
    chainring and largest rear sprocket, you may be able to remove a link or
    two, which should help.

    Failing all that, try a longer screw if that would make any difference.

    The business about the derailleur being "attached through the wheel bolt"
    might be relevant as well. Maybe a different derailleur with an adapter
    would be better -- an adapter that allows a modern derailleur to be
    attached to an old frame without a derailleur hanger.

    ~PB

  6. "-" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I've got a shimano sora gear set, giant ocr4. Heres a picture of a rear
    derailer for reference

    http://www.abc-of-mountainbiking.com/images/pics/rear-derailleur.jpg

    The top cog (jockey pulley) on the rear derailer is grinding on some
    gears. The equilibruim position of the jockey pulley is too far
    counterclockwise and this causes the problem. The derailer is attached
    through the wheel bolt and I cant simply twist the whole thing relative
    to the frame as it fits in snugly.

    By which I take it you mean the derailler is screwed into a slotted
    plate which then slots on the axle and is tightened with the wheel nut,
    as in the old days before gear hangers ?

    If you loosen the allen bolt which attaches the derailler body
    to the slotted plate, you should be able to change the angle of
    the derailler that way and maybe solve the problem.

    michael adams

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    Richard

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.