General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Yay, we'll be alone for Valentines!

Started by Sheryl Rosen · · Last activity · 16 posts · 589 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 February 2005
Last activity
16 February 2005
Original author
Sheryl Rosen
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
589
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. kilikini at [email hidden] wrote on 2/13/05 10:08 AM:

    Quoted message said:

    So, now I have to think about something romantic and special to make for
    tomorrow. We're on a low carb diet that it's basically NO carb. (Yes,
    we're taking supplements.) Whatever I decide has to be cheap (we're
    severely budgetally challenged), low carb, yet elegant and romantic. And
    whatever I decide to get, he has to take me to the store because I don't
    have a vehicle and he's the only one in our house with an income.

    Also, unfortunately, we don't even have a dinner or dining room table; all
    we do is sit on the couch with a plate on our lap.

    Anyone have any good ideas on something to serve and how to serve it to make
    it simple, yet give it some sort of ambience? I need help!

    How about a picnic in the living room?
    Spread out a pretty blanket...put candles in the middle (jarred candles, for
    safety, rather than candlesticks). For dinner, room-temp roasted chicken
    (Heck, fried chicken works on Atkins/South Beach, right?), as assortment of
    cheeses....bite size, of course. Pepperoni, summer sausage...bite size, of
    course! Can you have wine? You can get something drinakable for about
    $4-5. Carrots and celery with some sort of sour cream dip, if veggies are
    allowed. Think antipasto/finger foods.... little bites of things you
    nibble on between nibbling on each other.... :-)

    Have fun!

  2. sf said:
    Kilikini said:

    We just did sausage, cheese, olives last night for dinner (see
    alt.binaries.food for pix) but we could do a do-over.

    Sausage is allowed? Is hard salami allowed? I like to dip
    chunks of hard salami, apple, pear and small new potatoes
    (halved or quartered) in a sharpish cheese fondue.

    Of course, there is also chocolate fondue to consider... dip
    apples, pears, bananas and strawberries.

    http://www.bhg.com/home/FondueRecipes.html
    http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/fondue.htm

    sf

    The man won't go there. LOL. He's worried about his "girlish" figure.
    Yes, his nick name is The Fat Man, but as many of you know, he's not fat at
    all. Then again, he did lose 60 pounds by doing Atkins.

    kili

  3. Whats the big deal with Valentines anyway? Is this the only day to
    celebrate love? There is too much pressure and hype put into this one
    day. What about yesterday or tomorrow, was your love for each other less
    than it is today? Do you really have to have candles, special dinners,
    roses, candy, sexy lingerie, to express your love for each other??Come
    on people---surley you relationships are not that shallow. If they are,
    both of you are fooling each other and you both are just wasting your
    time---

  4. On Mon 14 Feb 2005 05:50:20a, Jimmy Reid wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Whats the big deal with Valentines anyway? Is this the only day to
    celebrate love? There is too much pressure and hype put into this one
    day. What about yesterday or tomorrow, was your love for each other less
    than it is today? Do you really have to have candles, special dinners,
    roses, candy, sexy lingerie, to express your love for each other??Come
    on people---surley you relationships are not that shallow. If they are,
    both of you are fooling each other and you both are just wasting your
    time---

    I can't see that it's much different than celebrating your loved ones
    birthday or your anniversary. Obviously, none of them "have" to be
    celebrated, but's it's nice to commemorate and celebrate how you feel. I
    guess that's the big deal!

    Wayne

  5. Jimmy Reid said:

    Whats the big deal with Valentines anyway? Is this the only day to
    celebrate love? There is too much pressure and hype put into this one
    day. What about yesterday or tomorrow, was your love for each other
    less than it is today? Do you really have to have candles, special
    dinners, roses, candy, sexy lingerie, to express your love for each
    other??Come on people---surley you relationships are not that
    shallow. If they are, both of you are fooling each other and you both
    are just wasting your time---

    Okay, I *do* have a great relationship with my hubby, albeit it's relatively
    new (just over a year old). That being said, any day that is a holiday or
    pseudo holiday, I like to make a little extra special - although I don't go
    all out for King Kamehameha day or President's Day. :-)

    Besides, for us it's kind of an anniversary so I want to make it special.
    What's wrong with that? Every month on the 14th I try to come up with a
    special meal or special treat because the 14th is the day we actually "met".
    It just so happens it falls on Valentine's Day. Why am I even explaining
    myself?

    Most of you folks here know that I met TFM through alt.binaries.food and
    alt.food.barbecue and we met in person in Washington for the opening of Dave
    Bugg's BBQ joint in Wenatchee, WA where we subsequently got married. Best
    thing that ever happened to me and the only thing I ever did in this world
    that was the right thing.

    kili

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, "kilikini"

    Quoted message said:

    Best thing that ever happened to me and the only thing I ever did in
    this world that was the right thing.
    kili

    That doesn't say much for your judgment, kili. "-)
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
    "I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
    Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

  7. On Mon 14 Feb 2005 06:47:37a, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Best
    thing that ever happened to me and the only thing I ever did in this world
    that was the right thing.

    kili

    What? Eat barbeque at Bugg's? :-)

    Wayne

  8. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:50:20 -0600, [email hidden] (Jimmy Reid)

    Quoted message said:

    Whats the big deal with Valentines anyway? Is this the only day to
    celebrate love? There is too much pressure and hype put into this one
    day. What about yesterday or tomorrow, was your love for each other less
    than it is today? Do you really have to have candles, special dinners,
    roses, candy, sexy lingerie, to express your love for each other??Come
    on people---surley you relationships are not that shallow. If they are,
    both of you are fooling each other and you both are just wasting your
    time---

    Jimmie Reid, you are walking into dangerous territory.

    I have been married for over 35 years (well O.K. with a couple of
    different wives), and it is my suggestion that you do not forget
    Valentines Day.

    Yes all days should celebrate love, but don't dismiss Valentines Day.
    If you do, just remember I warned you , from one man to another.

    Pan Ohco

  9. kilikini said:


    The man won't go there. LOL. He's worried about his "girlish" figure.
    Yes, his nick name is The Fat Man, but as many of you know, he's not fat at
    all. Then again, he did lose 60 pounds by doing Atkins.

    Goodness... not even on Valentine's Day?

    Here's a snapshot of what my marriage is like... Hubby gave
    me a dozen yellow roses last week - before the price was
    jacked up for V-Day. This morning - as he was chauffering
    me to work, he suddenly shouted "[censored]"! I asked him what
    was wrong and he replied that he had a Valentine's Day card
    for me, but he'd forgotten to give me before we left the
    house... LOL! How romantic!

    I'm going to climb into my brand new Jaccuzi in a few
    minutes, add some scented bath salts, light a candle or
    two.... and after the jets and salts do what they're
    supposed to do, I'll either be sound asleep or in a real
    Valentine's Day mood.

    Details will not follow.
    😉

    sf

  10. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:50:20 -0600, [email hidden] (Jimmy

    Reid) said:

    Whats the big deal with Valentines anyway? Is this the only day to
    celebrate love? There is too much pressure and hype put into this one
    day. What about yesterday or tomorrow, was your love for each other less
    than it is today? Do you really have to have candles, special dinners,
    roses, candy, sexy lingerie, to express your love for each other??Come
    on people---surley you relationships are not that shallow. If they are,
    both of you are fooling each other and you both are just wasting your
    time---

    Oh, tell us the truth. You're a hopeless romantic.

    sf

  11. Pan Ohco said:

    Yes all days should celebrate love, but don't dismiss Valentines Day.
    If you do, just remember I warned you, from one man to another.

    Your first wife broke you in and your second wife refined
    you... so I can truly say: they done good and you speak the
    truth.

    sf

  12. Sorry if I missed it. What'd ya end up doin'? (well the parts that you
    can tell publicly)

    --
    Steve

    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
    Autograph your work with excellence.

  13. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Mon 14 Feb 2005 06:47:37a, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Best
    thing that ever happened to me and the only thing I ever did in this
    world that was the right thing.

    kili

    What? Eat barbeque at Bugg's? :-)

    Wayne

    Yeah, if there would have been any food left by the time we got there,
    grumble, grumble grumble.

    kili

  14. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "kilikini"

    Quoted message said:

    Best thing that ever happened to me and the only thing I ever did


    in > this world that was the right thing.

    Quoted message said:

    kili

    That doesn't say much for your judgment, kili. "-)

    I'm starting to see that, Barb. :~)

    kili

  15. Steve Calvin said:

    Sorry if I missed it. What'd ya end up doin'? (well the parts that
    you can tell publicly)

    Nothing private to tell, but pics are posted on ABF. Only TFM's though;
    mine didn't last long enough for pix.

    kili

  16. Jimmy Reid said:

    Whats the big deal with Valentines anyway? Is this the only day to
    celebrate love? There is too much pressure and hype put into this one
    day. What about yesterday or tomorrow, was your love for each other


    less

    Quoted message said:

    than it is today? Do you really have to have candles, special


    dinners,

    Quoted message said:

    roses, candy, sexy lingerie, to express your love for each


    other??Come

    Quoted message said:

    on people---surley you relationships are not that shallow. If they


    are,

    Quoted message said:

    both of you are fooling each other and you both are just wasting your
    time---

    I need to write in order to defend shallow relationships which the
    above post viciously attacks. I truly beleive that shallow
    relationships which only focus on good food, good sex and general good
    time have their place in society. It is true that there are more
    complex and deep relationships that focus on important things such as
    shared TV shows, shared diets, shared credit card bills and shared
    gossip about the neighbours BUT... even those once upon a time were
    shallow and all about food and sex. So you can be deep and arrange for
    a very non-special time with your wife consisting of:

    1. Washing the dishes
    2. Paying the bills
    3. Discussing neighbours on the left
    4. Discussing neighbours on the right
    5. Eating something out of the freezer
    6. Wearing absolutely non-sexy lingerie
    7. Using 80 Watt light bulbs instead of candles

    I however would rather be as shallow as I can be and be shallow as many
    times as I can for one night.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.