Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Re wooden bike

Started by Halcyon · · Last activity · 6 posts · 897 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
19 September 2007
Last activity
20 September 2007
Original author
Halcyon
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
897
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It has been here before (I think), but another view is warranted
    http://www.news.com/2300-1008_3-6202540-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

    Same with the next link also
    http://www.news.com/2300-1008_3-6167611-1.html

    Halcyon

  2. Halcyon said:

    It has been here before (I think), but another view is warranted
    http://www.news.com/2300-1008_3-6202540-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

    I made wooden bike once, but it wooden work.

    So I made a steel bike, and it steel wooden work.

    Ok, I'll be quiet now.
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622
    <http://counter.li.org>

  3. Halcyon said:

    Same with the next link also
    http://www.news.com/2300-1008_3-6167611-1.html

    I rode an auto-shifting 4-speed bike that was in stock at my LBS about
    9 years ago.

    The intended application was pretty clear - it was a step-through
    frame with a basket mounted on the handlebars. A bike for somebody who
    doesn't "get" the whole gears thing and couldn't be bothered with it.
    As such, it worked really well. Just get on the bike and ride. Easy to
    start, and the faster I rode the faster it would let me ride. If a
    hill slowed me down, it would select a lower gear for me.

    I assume it worked by measured wheel speed - knowing what drive ratios
    it had, it chose a gear to give appropriate cadence range. High-tech
    stuff that would be within the capabilities of most digital watches :-
    D . A little battery-powered box pulled cable to engage the
    appropriate gear.

    It was a pretty new concept back then, and I'm surprised it never
    seemed to take off.

    I'm even more surprised to see it reported as "news" in 2007.

    tim

  4. tim said:
    Halcyon said:

    Same with the next link also
    http://www.news.com/2300-1008_3-6167611-1.html

    I rode an auto-shifting 4-speed bike that was in stock at my LBS about
    9 years ago.

    The intended application was pretty clear - it was a step-through
    frame with a basket mounted on the handlebars. A bike for somebody who
    doesn't "get" the whole gears thing and couldn't be bothered with it.
    As such, it worked really well. Just get on the bike and ride. Easy to
    start, and the faster I rode the faster it would let me ride. If a
    hill slowed me down, it would select a lower gear for me.

    I assume it worked by measured wheel speed - knowing what drive ratios
    it had, it chose a gear to give appropriate cadence range. High-tech
    stuff that would be within the capabilities of most digital watches :-
    D . A little battery-powered box pulled cable to engage the
    appropriate gear.

    It was a pretty new concept back then, and I'm surprised it never
    seemed to take off.

    I'm even more surprised to see it reported as "news" in 2007.

    tim

    Maybe they don't sell because they are for people who are not 'into'
    cycling.

  5. tim said:

    I assume it worked by measured wheel speed - knowing what drive ratios
    it had, it chose a gear to give appropriate cadence range. High-tech
    stuff that would be within the capabilities of most digital watches :-
    D . A little battery-powered box pulled cable to engage the
    appropriate gear.

    The one I heard about was based on spring loaded weights attached to the
    spokes that slid up and down the spoke according to how fast the wheel was
    going. There were three weights, one for each corresponding gear. As far as
    the guy described it to me, it appeared to be a purely mechanical setup, and
    the gear change was around the bottom bracket, not the rear as would be the norm.

    Quoted message said:

    It was a pretty new concept back then, and I'm surprised it never
    seemed to take off.

    Next one I heard of was the Shimano Airlines, that used pressurised air and
    pneumatics to do the shifting.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm even more surprised to see it reported as "news" in 2007.

    To the masses, automatic shifting on bicycles does not, and has never
    existed, so it's all news depending on who you sell it to.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622
    <http://counter.li.org>

  6. Quoted message said:


    The one I heard about was based on spring loaded weights attached to the
    spokes that slid up and down the spoke according to how fast the wheel was
    going. There were three weights, one for each corresponding gear.

    What!!!! Extra weights on the bike!!!! Well you'll never win over the
    carbon bling crowd with that kind of setup! ;-)

    PS the smiley is now 25. How old is the winky? (assuming that's what
    it is called) ;-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.