General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Whatever happened to Chive Cottage Cheese?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 4 posts · 333 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 January 2005
Last activity
20 January 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
333
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    When I was a kid I used to love chive cottage cheese. I have not


    seen

    Quoted message said:

    chive, or for that matter, any cottage cheese except the plain


    variety

    Quoted message said:

    in several years. Is there some reason they stopped making the
    flavored cottage cheese? I recall pineapple was another, but that


    one

    Quoted message said:

    never really excited me. I loved the chive though.

    I can't find chive cottage cheese; chive cream cheese (except whipped)
    or frozen chives, which used to come in little tubs in the freezer
    section - they were wonderful to just sprinkle on cottage cheese and/or
    tomatoes/potatoes or whatever.

    Now I have to buy fresh chives at $3 something a container, and they
    get slimey SO fast. Yeah, I know, grow my own - don't have a window
    arrangement to get the job done, unfortunately, even in a bedroom or
    bathroom.

    N.

  2. Quoted message said:


    I can't find chive cottage cheese; chive cream cheese (except whipped)
    or frozen chives, which used to come in little tubs in the freezer
    section - they were wonderful to just sprinkle on cottage cheese and/or
    tomatoes/potatoes or whatever.

    Now I have to buy fresh chives at $3 something a container, and they
    get slimey SO fast. Yeah, I know, grow my own - don't have a window
    arrangement to get the job done, unfortunately, even in a bedroom or
    bathroom.

    Just a little side note... I'm pretty satisfied with Penzey's
    dried chives. No, they're not the same as fresh, which I grow outside
    in the summer and use frequently...but they're not bad! I sometimes
    mix some in with my egg salad, or sprinkle some in soups. They might
    work for mixing in with cottage cheese too, it's worth a try.

    Ariane

    P.S. My attempts to grow chives indoors didn't work out well,
    either. They were all spindly, and didn't attain the same growth that
    they do outside in the ground. This past summer's clumps of chives
    were 8-9" high and did very well up until the heavy snowfall we got
    over Christmas. I haven't tried drying them myself yet!

  3. Quoted message said:

    Now I have to buy fresh chives at $3
    something a container, and they get
    slimey SO fast. Yeah, I know, grow my
    own - don't have a window arrangement
    to get the job done, unfortunately, even
    in a bedroom or bathroom. N

    I'm lucky enough to have a nice herb garden, but chives are very easy to
    dry or freeze. When you purchase them at the grocery store, chop up
    whatever you won't be using immediately and freeze them in a baggie.
    When you need a few "fresh" chives, just reach into your freezer. They
    really do keep pretty well this way and they won't go to waste. I do
    the same thing with scallions.

    Denise in NH

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I can't find chive cottage cheese; chive cream cheese (except whipped)
    or frozen chives, which used to come in little tubs in the freezer
    section - they were wonderful to just sprinkle on cottage cheese and/or
    tomatoes/potatoes or whatever.

    Now I have to buy fresh chives at $3 something a container, and they
    get slimey SO fast. Yeah, I know, grow my own - don't have a window

    Have you tried the dried from the spice area? I think they are good. Not
    as good as fresh but better than nothing.

    ObPetPeeve: Restaurants that ask if you want chives on your baked potato,
    and then give you green onion.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Sonoma State University
    AIS
    [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.