The UK Lake District is a fantastic place, we (my wife and I) spend a number
of weekends there and a full week every year. (It is only a two hour drive
away).
June is not the busiest time and I am always amazed that it never appears
crowded even in July and August. Saying that I do prefer Spring and Autumn
because of the colours and the extra water in the Gylls but if you are
coming on holiday the long June days and hopefully warm weather is a bonus.
Don't expect to get away without getting wet even in June.
As many have said there are an number of hills to choose from, they vary
from the tough to the ridiculous (Hardknot Pass)
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bridgwatarian/passes.htm it is actually worse
that it looks in the photos.
There is very little in the way of flat roads and Mountain Bikes would
probably be more suitable even on a lot of the roads. If you spent a week in
The Lakes doing 50-100k per day you would cover all available roads at least
once. I would recommend staying in Ambleside and hire road bikes for part
of your stay and mountain bikes for part of your stay and if like me you
like walking also try to do the two highest peaks on foot (Scar Fell and
Helvellyn).
There are two cycle shops in Ambleside that hire out bikes of all kinds even
tandems Bike Treks is the biggest and provide the most services. see link
http://www.lakedistrictoutdoors.co.uk/outdoor_activities/cycling/cycling_services.cfm#ambleside
There are loads of books and booklets giving routes both on and off road
available in the shops in all the larger towns around The Lakes.
If you are set on only riding on road I would suggest maybe having a base a
Ambleside and when you have covered the roads around there then venture a
little to the east into the Pennines and Dales for a night or two.
What type of accommodation were you thinking about? There is a full spread
from wild camping to five star hotels. A good thing about The Lakes is the
people are laid back and always willing to oblige if they can. So leaving
some gear at one place whilst you take an overnight excursion to another
would not be a problem to most hoteliers or guest house owners.
I am going to The Lakes in March for a few days, if you want me to get you
anything or do a 'Reccy' of anywhere let me know direct I will be pleased to
help.
I look forward to hearing from you
You will need to remove 'bra' from my return address to e-mail me.
Regards
Cliff
Keep the wind on your back, the sun on your face and cast all your shadows
behind you.