General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Today's Priceless Supermarket Moment

Started by Cheryl Perkins · · Last activity · 10 posts · 318 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 March 2006
Last activity
12 March 2006
Original author
Cheryl Perkins
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
318
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Doug Weller said:

    Plastic is fast normally.

    Quoted message said:

    Cheques? I can't remember when I last saw one used in a supermarket in the
    UK. But checks, I can't understand why so many people use them in the US
    -- I agree, they are a pain. But why the difference UK/US?

    Or US/Canada. The two biggest local supermarket chains don't even accept
    cheques any more. They stopped a couple of years ago. There wasn't much
    comment about it. I think most people were using cash, debit or credit
    card by then anyway.

    'Debit' is different in the US & Canada, too, as far as I can tell. A
    debit card in Canada is much more widely used than in the US, both
    geographically and in businesses within an area, and is completely
    separate from a credit card. I get the impression that in the US, with so
    many banks, each bank's debit card may only be used with a limited number
    of businesses in a limited area, particularly if it is from a smaller
    bank.

    I haven't used a cheque anywhere in quite a while. Maybe over a year.. I
    can't quite remember.

    --
    Cheryl

  2. "Bob Myers" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Not in my experience. Every debit card I've ever had
    looked like a standard Visa or MasterCard, with the
    possible exception of the word "debit" appearing somewhere
    on the face (not all had this). They are/were usable anywhere
    the credit card of the same name was usable.

    True. Perhaps she's thinking of ATM cards, which can be
    used in some stores, certainly the supermarket.

    nancy

  3. Nancy Young said:

    "Bob Myers" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not in my experience. Every debit card I've ever had
    looked like a standard Visa or MasterCard, with the
    possible exception of the word "debit" appearing somewhere
    on the face (not all had this). They are/were usable anywhere
    the credit card of the same name was usable.

    Quoted message said:

    True. Perhaps she's thinking of ATM cards, which can be
    used in some stores, certainly the supermarket.

    Our debit cards are usable in the ATM as well as in almost any store. In
    fact, about the only place you *can't* use them is some coffee shops
    (which only take cash to speed up service) and the kind of small temporary
    craft fair that doesn't have the technology. They were usable in grocery
    stores and liquor stores when credit cards were not allowed, so they
    always were more widely useable than credit cards. Being completely
    untied to credit cards, they can be used in a store that only
    accepts MasterCard, even if the bank that issues them also issues Visa.
    Unlike credit cards and like ATM cards, debit cards are used to take
    money directly from your account. And although the banks that issue them
    also issue credit cards, they appear to make every effort to distinguish
    them from credit cards, because they are always in a different colour and
    design.

    --
    Cheryl

  4. "Cheryl Perkins" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    always were more widely useable than credit cards. Being completely
    untied to credit cards, they can be used in a store that only
    accepts MasterCard, even if the bank that issues them also issues Visa.

    MasterCard/Visa ... I don't think there is a difference. As a matter of
    fact, my credit card company changed my Visa to a Mastercard for some
    reason of their own, you can still use them interchangably. Doesn't matter
    if the store says just one. Not in my experience, anyway.

    Quoted message said:

    Unlike credit cards and like ATM cards, debit cards are used to take
    money directly from your account.

    Yes. Debit.

    Quoted message said:

    And although the banks that issue them
    also issue credit cards, they appear to make every effort to distinguish
    them from credit cards, because they are always in a different colour and
    design.

    Often credit cards are set up to act as debit cards, either way.

    I prefer to keep my credit cards and my checking account
    separate, but that's me.

    nancy

  5. "Cheryl Perkins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    'Debit' is different in the US & Canada, too, as far as I can tell. A
    debit card in Canada is much more widely used than in the US, both
    geographically and in businesses within an area, and is completely
    separate from a credit card. I get the impression that in the US, with so
    many banks, each bank's debit card may only be used with a limited number
    of businesses in a limited area, particularly if it is from a smaller
    bank.

    Not in my experience. Every debit card I've ever had
    looked like a standard Visa or MasterCard, with the
    possible exception of the word "debit" appearing somewhere
    on the face (not all had this). They are/were usable anywhere
    the credit card of the same name was usable.

    Bob M.

  6. Quoted message said:

    I haven't used a cheque anywhere in quite a while. Maybe over a year.. I
    can't quite remember.

    --
    Cheryl

    Only thing we use checks for are taxes and medical bills. If we could pay
    on-line those two things, it'd be a lot sweeter.

    We set up all of F-I-L's bills that way, too. But he still has to pay the
    taxes and medical bills. Perhaps those are the two bills you really want to
    look over before paying, so it's probably not such a bad thing.
    Dee Dee

  7. Dee Randall said:
    Quoted message said:

    I haven't used a cheque anywhere in quite a while. Maybe over a
    year.. I can't quite remember.

    Quoted message said:

    Only thing we use checks for are taxes and medical bills. If we
    could pay on-line those two things, it'd be a lot sweeter.

    I can pay taxes on-line in Missouri, but not by credit card. I could
    also use the on-line bill paying system from my bank to pay that if
    desired.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  8. "Default User" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:
    Quoted message said:

    I haven't used a cheque anywhere in quite a while. Maybe over a
    year.. I can't quite remember.

    Quoted message said:

    Only thing we use checks for are taxes and medical bills. If we
    could pay on-line those two things, it'd be a lot sweeter.

    I can pay taxes on-line in Missouri, but not by credit card. I could
    also use the on-line bill paying system from my bank to pay that if
    desired.

    Brian

    Brian, Almost all of my finances are done online these days. I love it. I
    never carry my checkbook, just my debit card and a couple of credit cards.
    I do online bill pay from my bank's website. Whoever thought up the debit
    card is a God/Goddess.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  9. Bob Myers said:


    "Cheryl Perkins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    'Debit' is different in the US & Canada, too, as far as I can tell. A
    debit card in Canada is much more widely used than in the US, both
    geographically and in businesses within an area, and is completely
    separate from a credit card. I get the impression that in the US, with so
    many banks, each bank's debit card may only be used with a limited number
    of businesses in a limited area, particularly if it is from a smaller
    bank.

    Not in my experience. Every debit card I've ever had
    looked like a standard Visa or MasterCard, with the
    possible exception of the word "debit" appearing somewhere
    on the face (not all had this). They are/were usable anywhere
    the credit card of the same name was usable.


    Yes, I've never had any problem with my Indiana bank's debit card, used it
    all over including the web a lot.

    What confuses me is that with this card, which says Debit Mastercard, I
    was sometimes asked to enter 'credit card' into the machine -- I think so
    I could sign it rather than use my pin number which I wasn't sure of at
    the time.

    Doug
    --
    Doug Weller --
    Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com
    A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
    Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

  10. Cheryl Perkins said:

    'Debit' is different in the US & Canada, too, as far as I can tell. A
    debit card in Canada is much more widely used than in the US, both
    geographically and in businesses within an area, and is completely
    separate from a credit card. I get the impression that in the US, with so
    many banks, each bank's debit card may only be used with a limited number
    of businesses in a limited area, particularly if it is from a smaller
    bank.

    A debit card take the money directly from your checking account and
    requires a pin number.

    A credit card charges the amount to your credit account and requires a
    signiture.

    A check card takes the money from your checking account, but is treated
    in the store like a credit card by using a signature.

    All 3 are very popular here in the US.

    I have never heard of a debit card being good only in a local area.
    There are some stores that offer credit accounts, and that card is only
    good at that store, but I have no idea what you are referring to. I
    have used my debit card in Mexico while traveling as well as other
    states in the US.

    Now, as for Canada, there definitely is a difference. When I go to
    Canada, my card will not work in the ATM machines, and I can only use
    the checkcard option. The cashier told me that debit cards are separate
    from check/credit cards, so the machine goes with credit as default. I
    have tried to get a plain old debit card to use while in Canada, but my
    bank won't give me one. So, I had to make sure I had cash in advance
    for small local transactions. And I was stuck with my check card for
    the rest (no cash back). I have since gotten an account with my
    sister's bank (for other reasons), and her card always worked in the
    ATM machine, so at least I can get cash back during a trip in the
    future.

    As for checks, they are still quite popular here. Not as much as they
    used to be, we still take in a lot, and we haven't allowed cash back
    from checks for over 4 years now. We still get a few customer
    complaints about that. Some stores in the same change allow $10 back,
    but our store does not.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.