Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: thinking of opening a LBS

Started by Brian Kerr · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,000 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
2 June 2008
Last activity
3 June 2008
Original author
Brian Kerr
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,000
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello - long time reader, seldom post

    I'm wondering if it makes sense these days to attempt a LBS startup? On
    one hand, I can certainly see a niche in the commuting/practical uses
    market that is not currently being fulfilled in the city. On the other
    hand, *Mart bikes are so cheap (in more ways than one!) that I'm not
    certain if there is a customer base. I'd appreciate your comments.

    TIA,
    Brian

  2. Depends where you're at and what the competition is. Most commuters
    round here are ilegals on xmart bikes.

    Brian Kerr said:

    Hello - long time reader, seldom post

    I'm wondering if it makes sense these days to attempt a LBS startup?  On
    one hand, I can certainly see a niche in the commuting/practical uses
    market that is not currently being fulfilled in the city.  On the other
    hand, *Mart bikes are so cheap (in more ways than one!) that I'm not
    certain if there is a customer base.  I'd appreciate your comments.

    TIA,
    Brian

  3. "Brian Kerr" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    | Hello - long time reader, seldom post
    |
    | I'm wondering if it makes sense these days to attempt a LBS startup? On
    | one hand, I can certainly see a niche in the commuting/practical uses
    | market that is not currently being fulfilled in the city. On the other
    | hand, *Mart bikes are so cheap (in more ways than one!) that I'm not
    | certain if there is a customer base. I'd appreciate your comments.
    |
    | TIA,
    | Brian

    Demographics is everything. If you're in an urban area with high rents &
    other costs, you're not going to survive if you depend upon commuter bikes
    for your revenue. They can be a significant and featured part of your
    product line, but they're not going to pay their own way if you're competing
    for rent with all manner of other non-service industries that can afford to
    pay a whole lot more per square foot.

    But for generic info on the retail bicycle biz, check out the National
    Bicycle Dealer Association website at www.nbda.com.

    And then study the various other bike shops in your area, and figure out
    what each does well and not-so-well. And absolutely study the various shops
    that might have failed in your area over the past 5 or so years, and figure
    out why. And then figure out what it is that you can do better, and how you
    can expand the marketplace instead of cannibalizing what little business
    there is in the area, since the cannibalization thing cuts both ways, and
    the long-established shop has much deeper pockets and will probably still be
    there in the end.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  4. In my area, a mechanic from one of the bike shops picked out a
    lower-economic section of town and started to specialize in lower priced
    bikes--even those tricycles that elderly people sometimes ride. He began
    making money by doing repairs of -mart bikes. Most of the bikes he fixed
    were those that had been put aside as soon as they broke. I really doubt
    that he does any business in $2,000 bikes, but he was going great guns with
    cheaper bmx bikes and odds and ends to trick those out. He started a
    lay-away section, too.

    What you said: demographics. The other bike shops were appealing to a whole
    different section of the bike riding public.

    Pat in TX

  5. Step one is realizing you'll be barely getting by for the life of your
    business. If yu want to open an LBS it has to be for the love of the
    sport, not the money. :-3)

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

  6. It's Chris said:

    Step one is realizing you'll be barely getting by for the life of your
    business. If yu want to open an LBS it has to be for the love of the
    sport, not the money. :-3)

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    Yes Chris, I'm certainly realizing that. It was a strong suspicion from
    the start. Thanks all for your comments and especially to Mike - that
    link was excellent.

    Brian

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.