General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: The Atkins Cult

Started by HIT Fanatic · · Last activity · 6 posts · 291 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 October 2004
Last activity
15 October 2004
Original author
HIT Fanatic
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
291
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Mind-numbing techniques are used to suppress doubts about the group.
    How else would you describe a grueling two-week "induction phase"
    during which dieters are to consume 20 or fewer grams of carbohydrates
    a day? In his book Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, Robert Atkins
    acknowledged that probable side-effects of this induction are lethargy
    and diminished mental acuity.

    In my case, I didn't bother with the "induction phase"--all I simply did
    was limit my carb intake to 75 grams a day and I shed 38 lbs in the
    summer of 2000. I even had an ice cream bar every 3 or 4 days.

    Quoted message said:

    The group is preoccupied with making money. Ahem. "Atkins-approved Low
    Carb Bread"? "Atkins-approved" choices on your local sprawl diner's
    menu? Notice the little ® on those labels? They aren't approving this
    junk for their health. Or yours. The Atkins Nutritionals gets a cut.
    Of everything.

    One can just follow a low-carb diet by looking up the nutritional
    information on the food labels or search the internet. I don't even
    count carbs anymore, all I do is make a conscious effort to eat as
    little sugar, potatoes, rice, cereals and bread as possible.

    I don't give a [censored] if the "evil Atkins corporation" makes trillions of
    dollars a year. The market hates high-prices anyway, and the "Atkins
    approved" label is unnecessary. Most food producers can simply just
    advertise their low carb content in big, bold letters and it will be
    just as effective.

    Quoted message said:

    The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which causes
    conflict within the larger society.

    Damn straight. It's the only way to get the message across to the
    brainwashed sheeples who gobble several pounds of "low fat" potato chips
    every day who can't figure out why they are constantly hungry.

    One need only look at the

    Quoted message said:

    mysterious circumstances surrounding the release of Robert Atkins'
    medical report upon his death to know the larger society has been
    affected. Apparently People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (who,
    I admit, have their own issues) had something to do with revealing Dr.
    Atkins died at 260 lbs.

    Dr. Atkins died of old age (old people tend to slip on ice more than
    youngins). It's as simple as that. He bloated to 260 lbs because he
    was kept alive by fluids being injected into his body. Dr. Linus
    Pauling believed that Vitamin C could fight cancer. He kept his stomach
    cancer at bay for 40 years with 10,000 mg of vit. C per day. He
    eventually died--AT THE AGE OF 93!!! Yet his critics called him a
    lunatic. Why do you think the drug industry in Europe is trying to make
    sales of vit C illegal? Because vitamins are far more effective than
    expensive drugs and you can't patent them. Follow the money.

    In fact, there is an underground war raging

    Quoted message said:

    between the PETA establishment types and the Atkins revolutionaries. I
    once brought up an argument against the Atkins Diet often used by PETA
    to a cultist friend, who then actually accused me of being a tool for
    the Department of Agriculture.

    See my comment above regarding the drug industry in Europe.

    Quoted message said:

    Members' subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family
    and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of
    interest before joining the group. There was a time when a couple of
    pizzas and about fifteen beers apiece were all my friends and I needed
    for a good time. Then came Atkins. The beer was replaced with gin or
    vodka. Only the cheese and meat toppings of the pizza were consumed,
    leaving triangle shards of dough in the box. Eventually, it stopped
    being fun. I don't even see many of my friends anymore, so tight are
    they wrapped in the clutches of the cult.

    I'm still a beer binge drinker. Yes, there are some days that I might
    consume 150 g of carbs--but that is far less than what the average
    person consumes in this low-fat, high-carb society.

    Quoted message said:

    Patrick Hynes is a Senior Account Executive with the Republican
    consulting firm Marsh Copsey + Scott. He is also the proprietor of
    www.crushkerry.com.

    I don't get why most of the opposition to the low carb diets is coming
    from the political right in the US (Dr. Atkins was portrayed as the
    "left-wing" side on Crossfire, Bush supporter Michael Fumento makes fun
    of the low carb diet, etc). I'm as hardcore right-wing and politically
    incorrect as they come (I think that George Bush is a socialist) but I'm
    on the low-carb side. Can anyone explain this?

  2. Ignoramus21424 said:


    HIT Fanatic said:

    One can just follow a low-carb diet by looking up the nutritional
    information on the food labels or search the internet. I don't even
    count carbs anymore, all I do is make a conscious effort to eat as
    little sugar, potatoes, rice, cereals and bread as possible.

    same here

    Quoted message said:

    Dr. Atkins died of old age (old people tend to slip on ice more than
    youngins). It's as simple as that. He bloated to 260 lbs because he
    was kept alive by fluids being injected into his body. Dr. Linus
    Pauling believed that Vitamin C could fight cancer. He kept his stomach
    cancer at bay for 40 years with 10,000 mg of vit. C per day. He
    eventually died--AT THE AGE OF 93!!! Yet his critics called him a
    lunatic. Why do you think the drug industry in Europe is trying to make
    sales of vit C illegal? Because vitamins are far more effective than
    expensive drugs and you can't patent them. Follow the money.

    Do you have any evidence that Vitamin C actualy works for cancer?

    Here's an article about Linus Pauling and vitamin C:
    http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/pauling-and-vitamin-c.html

    Here's an anti-Linus Pauling article:
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/c.html

    keep in mind that quackwatch does not believe in the low carb diet:
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/lcd.html

    As for evidence that vitamin C fights cancer, I've read several articles
    on the internet regarding this subject, you could probably find them by
    using google. Since I or my family have no history of cancer, I
    probably will never be able to test this theory first hand.

    I've been taking 500mg of vit. c every day (along with a centrum) and
    I've had much fewer colds and flus. I purposely avoid getting flu shots
    while I see co-workers get sick like dogs the day after getting theirs.

    A strong, healthy immune system is the best way to fight diseases and
    cancer. Vitamin C gives a boost to your immune system.

  3. In news:[email hidden],
    HIT Fanatic <[email hidden]> stated

    | I don't give a [censored] if the "evil Atkins corporation" makes trillions
    | of dollars a year. The market hates high-prices anyway, and the
    | "Atkins approved" label is unnecessary. Most food producers can
    | simply just advertise their low carb content in big, bold letters and
    | it will be just as effective.

    Yes, I am much more upset about the promotion of weight loss surgery,
    commercials for it run every day. I know that for some people it may be the
    answer, but they make it sound like an easy answer rather than a last
    resort.
    |
    | Dr. Atkins died of old age (old people tend to slip on ice more than
    | youngins). It's as simple as that. He bloated to 260 lbs because he
    | was kept alive by fluids being injected into his body. Dr. Linus
    | Pauling believed that Vitamin C could fight cancer. He kept his
    | stomach cancer at bay for 40 years with 10,000 mg of vit. C per day.
    | He eventually died--AT THE AGE OF 93!!! Yet his critics called him a
    | lunatic. Why do you think the drug industry in Europe is trying to
    | make sales of vit C illegal? Because vitamins are far more effective
    | than expensive drugs and you can't patent them. Follow the money.

    He didn't die of old age, he died because he hit his head on the sidewalk
    when he fell. That could happen to anyone though I suppose if one's head is
    fatter the brain would be better protected so maybe he died because he
    WASN'T fat.
    |
    | I don't get why most of the opposition to the low carb diets is coming
    | from the political right in the US (Dr. Atkins was portrayed as the
    | "left-wing" side on Crossfire, Bush supporter Michael Fumento makes
    | fun of the low carb diet, etc). I'm as hardcore right-wing and
    | politically incorrect as they come (I think that George Bush is a
    | socialist) but I'm on the low-carb side. Can anyone explain this?

    Because they don't believe in science?

  4. HIT Fanatic said:

    I don't get why most of the opposition to the low carb diets is coming
    from the political right in the US (Dr. Atkins was portrayed as the
    "left-wing" side on Crossfire, Bush supporter Michael Fumento makes fun

    Because it's a change from what was previously held true and conservatives
    don't like that - that's what conservative means, really.

    Quoted message said:

    of the low carb diet, etc). I'm as hardcore right-wing and politically
    incorrect as they come (I think that George Bush is a socialist) but I'm
    on the low-carb side. Can anyone explain this?

    Yes. You're a libertarian so you never bought into the federally imposed
    food pyramid anyway.

    What's weird is that you and I, who am so far left I'm an honorary member
    of the Alaska Branch of the ACLU, can find anything we agree upon.

    Martha

    --
    "ALPO is 99 cents a can. That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"
    Revek - ASDLC

  5. Quoted message said:

    He didn't die of old age, he died because he hit his head on the sidewalk
    when he fell. That could happen to anyone though I suppose if one's head is
    fatter the brain would be better protected so maybe he died because he
    WASN'T fat.

    The author of the article implied that he thought it unusual that Dr.
    Atkins fell into a coma after slipping on some ice--implying that his
    diet may have been the cause. Dr. Atkins was in his 70s. If Dr. Atkins
    was younger when this happened, maybe he would not have fallen into a
    coma. Hence why I said "he died of old age". Someone who gets HIV will
    eventually die of opportunistic infections because of a weakened immune
    system (cancer, kaposi sarcoma, etc). It's true that nobody dies
    directly from HIV, but you can't categorize that person as someone who
    died of cancer.

    Quoted message said:

    | I don't get why most of the opposition to the low carb diets is coming
    | from the political right in the US (Dr. Atkins was portrayed as the
    | "left-wing" side on Crossfire, Bush supporter Michael Fumento makes
    | fun of the low carb diet, etc). I'm as hardcore right-wing and
    | politically incorrect as they come (I think that George Bush is a
    | socialist) but I'm on the low-carb side. Can anyone explain this?

    Because they don't believe in science?

    My theory is that these right-wing anti-Atkins folk are economic
    neoliberals who believe that corporations should be free to run amok
    while defining government policy. There's plenty of "science" out there
    that is anti-Atkins as well, but it's junk.

  6. Quoted message said:

    Yes. You're a libertarian so you never bought into the federally imposed
    food pyramid anyway.

    I'm hardly libertarian though, since I am conservative on social
    issues. I've actually moved beyond socialist/capitalist thought and
    interpret all economics through the prism of energy conservation. More
    energy = more economic growth. But we've used up all of the world's
    non-renewable energy, so the First World is headed towards an economic
    death spiral (oil is now at $55 a barrel because today it costs 1 barrel
    to produce 4 whereas in the "golden age" of the 1950s it only cost 1
    barrel to produce 30). But that's another subject altogether.

    Quoted message said:

    What's weird is that you and I, who am so far left I'm an honorary member
    of the Alaska Branch of the ACLU, can find anything we agree upon.

    My wife thinks that because I've moved so extremely far-right that I am
    now on the far-left fringe, ha!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.