UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: Scaried monent on a bike?

Started by Jim Price · · Last activity · 6 posts · 196 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 August 2006
Last activity
20 August 2006
Original author
Jim Price
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
196
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    What about all of you?

    That would be half way down a mile long one in four into the next valley
    from where I lived as a teenager on a bike with no brakes when I started
    to feel the heat through my Dunlop green flash daps[1]. I didn't need
    reminding at the time that they also made brown flash. With hindsight,
    modern cycling shoes would have been useful. Oh, and brakes.

    [1] regional word - this was before trainers, pumps of the time filled
    tyres and I'd not even heard of plimsolls.
    --

    JimP

    Knee dye same ore.

  2. Jim Price said:

    my Dunlop green flash daps[1].

    Quoted message said:

    [1] regional word - this was before trainers, pumps of the time filled
    tyres and I'd not even heard of plimsolls.

    What region? "Daps" was used in the Black Country in the 1960s, but as
    an alternative to "pumps".

    Mike

  3. Mike Causer said:
    Jim Price said:

    my Dunlop green flash daps[1].

    Quoted message said:

    [1] regional word - this was before trainers, pumps of the time filled
    tyres and I'd not even heard of plimsolls.

    What region? "Daps" was used in the Black Country in the 1960s, but as
    an alternative to "pumps".


    Dunlop All Purpose Shoes I believe - a trade name not a regional variety.
    :-)
    Dan Gregory

  4. Mike Causer said:
    Jim Price said:

    my Dunlop green flash daps[1].

    Quoted message said:

    [1] regional word - this was before trainers, pumps of the time filled
    tyres and I'd not even heard of plimsolls.

    What region? "Daps" was used in the Black Country in the 1960s, but as
    an alternative to "pumps".

    The mid Wales border was the region I lived in, but my mother's side of
    the family were from the black country, and she probably influenced what
    a lot of school children would call things.

    --

    JimP

    Knee dye same ore.

  5. On 18/08/2006 21:06, Mike Causer said,

    Quoted message said:

    What region? "Daps" was used in the Black Country in the 1960s, but as
    an alternative to "pumps".

    Also used in the South West in the 1970s.

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  6. Mike Causer said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Daps" was used in the Black Country in the 1960s, but as
    an alternative to "pumps".

    and Paul Boyd commented:

    Quoted message said:

    Also used in the South West in the 1970s.

    But not in the South East, from where DW and I hail.

    DW is secretary of the local pre-school. At one staff/committee
    meeting/drinking session, DW had to ask a member of staff several times
    to repeat what she had said after the member of staff suggested that the
    children might need dap bags. DW had heard correctly, but the
    suggestion was meaningless to her. Eventually, someone realised it was
    a regional word that a Kentish lass might never previously have encountered.

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.