In article <[email hidden]>
Texy said:Thanks to all who offered advice on my 'budget tourer' thread.
I went with the Dawes Horizon from Spa Cycles and ordered it last
monday to be delivered today as I am having an extra long bank holiday
weekend. At 1PM the bike hadn't arrived so I emailed Spa for a tracking
number.
The bike arrived anyway about 30 minutes after I sent the email. I,ve never
put
a bike together before so it took me a while,
One of the most important things when assembling a new bike is to grease
the seat tube before fitting the seatpin, the steerer before fitting the
stem if it's a quill stem, and the pedal threads - otherwise when you
come to remove them a couple of years down the line you can find that
they're welded together with bimetallic corrosion. The pedals need to
be done up REALLY tight, and the bolt that holds the saddle on the
seatpin can work loose if it's not really cranked up too. Stand in
front of the bike, grip the wheel firmly between your knees and grab the
brake lever hoods - you shouldn't be able to twist the bars in any
direction. Stand over the bike and pull the brake levers REALLY hard to
make sure the cables don't slip.