Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Re: Mountain biker killed by bear in BC

Started by Jeff Strickland · · Last activity · 28 posts · 1,150 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
24 July 2007
Last activity
2 August 2007
Original author
Jeff Strickland
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,150
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    It's unclear if the bear, estimated to be about 54 kilograms (120
    pounds), had in fact fatally attacked the woman.

    "They don't know whether the bear was the cause or whether it was just
    there," said Mark Woodburn, vice-president of Panorama Mountain
    Village.

    The ministry is investigating the incident and an autopsy will be done
    on the bear to determine if it had killed the woman. An autopsy will
    also be done on the woman. The mountain operations were closed Sunday
    as RCMP and conservation officers investigated the incident.


    <

    </snip>

    Jumping to conclusions again, are we?

  2. Jeff Strickland said:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    It's unclear if the bear, estimated to be about 54 kilograms (120
    pounds), had in fact fatally attacked the woman.

    Quoted message said:

    "They don't know whether the bear was the cause or whether it was just
    there," said Mark Woodburn, vice-president of Panorama Mountain
    Village.

    Quoted message said:

    The ministry is investigating the incident and an autopsy will be done
    on the bear to determine if it had killed the woman. An autopsy will
    also be done on the woman. The mountain operations were closed Sunday
    as RCMP and conservation officers investigated the incident.

    <

    </snip>

    Jumping to conclusions again, are we?

    It sounds like the reporter was, anyway. It is very sad that the bear
    was killed without haivng answered some questions. It seems like
    there could have been another solution than the wild west variety
    "shoot first" approach.

    However, in grizz or cougar country, the LAST thing I'd do is act like
    a meal and go fast, at least off well-established roads with good side
    visibility. That not only makes it harder for the person to be aware
    of what the heck is around the corner, but also gives the predator the
    impression that you are a frightened snack. Your speed is likely to
    trigger a chase response in the critter...and you probably cannot
    outrun either animal, on foot or on wheels.

    And for heaven's sake, no matter how you travel, carry pepper spray
    that you can retrieve quickly.

    Bruce Jensen

  3. "Bruce Jensen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jeff Strickland said:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    It's unclear if the bear, estimated to be about 54 kilograms (120
    pounds), had in fact fatally attacked the woman.

    Quoted message said:

    "They don't know whether the bear was the cause or whether it was just
    there," said Mark Woodburn, vice-president of Panorama Mountain
    Village.

    Quoted message said:

    The ministry is investigating the incident and an autopsy will be done
    on the bear to determine if it had killed the woman. An autopsy will
    also be done on the woman. The mountain operations were closed Sunday
    as RCMP and conservation officers investigated the incident.

    <

    </snip>

    Jumping to conclusions again, are we?

    It sounds like the reporter was, anyway. It is very sad that the bear
    was killed without haivng answered some questions. It seems like
    there could have been another solution than the wild west variety
    "shoot first" approach.

    However, in grizz or cougar country, the LAST thing I'd do is act like
    a meal and go fast, at least off well-established roads with good side
    visibility. That not only makes it harder for the person to be aware
    of what the heck is around the corner, but also gives the predator the
    impression that you are a frightened snack. Your speed is likely to
    trigger a chase response in the critter...and you probably cannot
    outrun either animal, on foot or on wheels.

    And for heaven's sake, no matter how you travel, carry pepper spray
    that you can retrieve quickly.

    Bruce Jensen

    First, the rangers (searchers of the missing woman) found the bear over a
    body. The way they recover a human from a bear is that they shoot the bear
    to protect the other humans from being attacked. People shoot bears. Too
    bad, so sad. Glad I'm not a bear.

    Second, they do not know that the woman was going fast or slow. They did not
    describe the area other than to say she was riding a marked trail -- that
    appears by other parts of the story to be a ski run in winter.

    Third, the story does not suggest that the woman may have gone down, and the
    bear simply took advantage of the situation to have a meal.

    Fourth, most animals will always go the other way in response to human
    visitation. Indeed, all animals know people are coming long before people
    know there are animals in the area.

    Lastly, what conclusion did the reporter jump to?

  4. Bruce Jensen said:

    It sounds like the reporter was, anyway. It is very sad that the bear
    was killed without haivng answered some questions. It seems like
    there could have been another solution than the wild west variety
    "shoot first" approach.

    IMHO, RCMP made the right call to shoot the bear. At the time, they
    probably couldn't be certain she was dead, and obviously the priority
    was to save her life if at all possible. The bear was guarding the
    kill and not letting them approach.

    Look at it from the officer's perspective: The consequences of the
    opposite scenario (woman bleeding to death while RCMP await a
    conservation officer to tranquilize the bear) are far worse than
    perhaps hastily shooting the bear.

    If nothing else, I am sure that this poor person's family would be
    grateful that her remains were protected as much as possible.

    Regards,
    Anthony

  5. Jeff Strickland said:

    First, the rangers (searchers of the missing woman) found the bear over a
    body. The way they recover a human from a bear is that they shoot the bear
    to protect the other humans from being attacked. People shoot bears.

    Not decent ones (sorry, that's slightly churlish). I gather your
    knowledge of bears is somewhat limited.

    A 120-pound bear will sometimes protect a food source, but many will
    be smart enough to recognize if they're outnumbered by humans and
    retreat. OTOH, many people, especially law enforcement types, are
    pretty trigger-happy and are liable to shoot *just because.* This is
    a personal observation based on what I've seen here localy. This
    article also does not say whether the bear was attempting to defend
    its "food" so we cannot tell whether the shot was warranted. Finally,
    small black bears - in fact, any bears apart from polar bears - rarely
    attack humans as a food source.

    I believe that more creative and less deadly options *may* have
    existed. Of course, I was not there, and neither were you. Heck,
    based on what you say below, the bear may have even willing to retreat
    if they gave it more than a second of response time.

    Quoted message said:

    Second, they do not know that the woman was going fast or slow. They did not
    describe the area other than to say she was riding a marked trail -- that
    appears by other parts of the story to be a ski run in winter.

    That's nice.

    Quoted message said:

    Third, the story does not suggest that the woman may have gone down, and the
    bear simply took advantage of the situation to have a meal.

    It does not state it, but it implies that the *possibility exists*
    with the following paragraphs:

    "It's unclear if the bear, estimated to be about 54 kilograms (120
    pounds), had in fact fatally attacked the woman.

    "They don't know whether the bear was the cause or whether it was
    just
    there," said Mark Woodburn, vice-president of Panorama Mountain
    Village. "

    Quoted message said:

    Fourth, most animals will always go the other way in response to human
    visitation. Indeed, all animals know people are coming long before people
    know there are animals in the area.

    Most, but not all, especially if they are familar with otherwise
    harmless people. I have personally watched thousands of wild animals,
    bears included, who have made little or no effort to stay at much more
    than arms length. I have surprised a few, too, and after a brief
    period of alertness, they may either retreat or go about their
    business. It depends quite a bit on the the circumstances.

    Quoted message said:

    Lastly, what conclusion did the reporter jump to?- Hide quoted text -

    Sorry, I misread - Mike made that conclusion. Actually, the reporter
    did a pretty good job reporting the facts, and not making assumptions.

    The statistical probability remains that rapidly moving humans put
    themselves at greater risk of animal attack than those who walk.
    Runners and cyclists have been attacked far more than walkers by
    predators, although not exclusively so. A cyclist moves faster than a
    walker, and his/her legs will appear as though to run. Finally, the
    bear may have been unfairly shot.

    Bruce Jensen

  6. Bruce Jensen said:

    OTOH, many people, especially law enforcement types, are
    pretty trigger-happy and are liable to shoot *just because.* This is
    a personal observation based on what I've seen here localy.

    Not sure where local is for you, but I can believe that for some areas
    police might not do such a great job when it comes to dealing with
    wildlife. However, I know that up here (Yukon territory, north of BC)
    our RCMP frequently deal with these types of situations. Most of them
    are trained as conservation officers as well as police. A place like
    Invermere I would expect the same.

    A bear guarding a fresh kill is likely to be quite aggressive, and
    might not be easily forced away, even with gunfire. Probably the worst
    situation outside of a mother guarding cubs.

    Like I said in my earlier post, I think the officers made the right
    call.

  7. I'm not concerned with the welfare of the bear, sorry.

    I am concerned with the outlandish lies of Michael J Vandeman that are told
    in furtherance of the lie that says we should all stay at home and watch
    nature programs on TV instead of getting a first-hand experience.

    Mike will tell you that his agenda is bike tires, but it is really rubber.
    Rubber belongs on cement, not dirt. That is Mike's real agenda.

    "Bruce Jensen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jeff Strickland said:

    First, the rangers (searchers of the missing woman) found the bear over a
    body. The way they recover a human from a bear is that they shoot the
    bear
    to protect the other humans from being attacked. People shoot bears.

    Not decent ones (sorry, that's slightly churlish). I gather your
    knowledge of bears is somewhat limited.

    A 120-pound bear will sometimes protect a food source, but many will
    be smart enough to recognize if they're outnumbered by humans and
    retreat. OTOH, many people, especially law enforcement types, are
    pretty trigger-happy and are liable to shoot *just because.* This is
    a personal observation based on what I've seen here localy. This
    article also does not say whether the bear was attempting to defend
    its "food" so we cannot tell whether the shot was warranted. Finally,
    small black bears - in fact, any bears apart from polar bears - rarely
    attack humans as a food source.

    I believe that more creative and less deadly options *may* have
    existed. Of course, I was not there, and neither were you. Heck,
    based on what you say below, the bear may have even willing to retreat
    if they gave it more than a second of response time.

    Quoted message said:

    Second, they do not know that the woman was going fast or slow. They did
    not
    describe the area other than to say she was riding a marked trail -- that
    appears by other parts of the story to be a ski run in winter.

    That's nice.

    Quoted message said:

    Third, the story does not suggest that the woman may have gone down, and
    the
    bear simply took advantage of the situation to have a meal.

    It does not state it, but it implies that the *possibility exists*
    with the following paragraphs:

    "It's unclear if the bear, estimated to be about 54 kilograms (120
    pounds), had in fact fatally attacked the woman.

    "They don't know whether the bear was the cause or whether it was
    just
    there," said Mark Woodburn, vice-president of Panorama Mountain
    Village. "

    Quoted message said:

    Fourth, most animals will always go the other way in response to human
    visitation. Indeed, all animals know people are coming long before people
    know there are animals in the area.

    Most, but not all, especially if they are familar with otherwise
    harmless people. I have personally watched thousands of wild animals,
    bears included, who have made little or no effort to stay at much more
    than arms length. I have surprised a few, too, and after a brief
    period of alertness, they may either retreat or go about their
    business. It depends quite a bit on the the circumstances.

    Quoted message said:

    Lastly, what conclusion did the reporter jump to?- Hide quoted text -

    Sorry, I misread - Mike made that conclusion. Actually, the reporter
    did a pretty good job reporting the facts, and not making assumptions.

    The statistical probability remains that rapidly moving humans put
    themselves at greater risk of animal attack than those who walk.
    Runners and cyclists have been attacked far more than walkers by
    predators, although not exclusively so. A cyclist moves faster than a
    walker, and his/her legs will appear as though to run. Finally, the
    bear may have been unfairly shot.

    Bruce Jensen

  8. Well he's tried the "dazzle them with brilliance" route and has seen that it
    doesn't work because, well, he's an idiot. Now he's gone to the "baffle
    them with [censored]" route after seeing everyone doesn't fall for how smart
    he claims he is.
    I'm just getting back into the sport after a long break. And back in the
    mid/late 90's he was creeping around too. I was kind of hoping that nature
    would have taken its course and he would have been run over by a herd of
    horses or cows or whatever, but no such luck. Too bad there isn't an
    extermintor for this type of problem.

    "Jeff Strickland" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:1qwpi.5193$Da.830@trnddc07...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not concerned with the welfare of the bear, sorry.

    I am concerned with the outlandish lies of Michael J Vandeman that are
    told in furtherance of the lie that says we should all stay at home and
    watch nature programs on TV instead of getting a first-hand experience.

    Mike will tell you that his agenda is bike tires, but it is really rubber.
    Rubber belongs on cement, not dirt. That is Mike's real agenda.

    "Bruce Jensen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jeff Strickland said:

    First, the rangers (searchers of the missing woman) found the bear over
    a
    body. The way they recover a human from a bear is that they shoot the
    bear
    to protect the other humans from being attacked. People shoot bears.

    Not decent ones (sorry, that's slightly churlish). I gather your
    knowledge of bears is somewhat limited.

    A 120-pound bear will sometimes protect a food source, but many will
    be smart enough to recognize if they're outnumbered by humans and
    retreat. OTOH, many people, especially law enforcement types, are
    pretty trigger-happy and are liable to shoot *just because.* This is
    a personal observation based on what I've seen here localy. This
    article also does not say whether the bear was attempting to defend
    its "food" so we cannot tell whether the shot was warranted. Finally,
    small black bears - in fact, any bears apart from polar bears - rarely
    attack humans as a food source.

    I believe that more creative and less deadly options *may* have
    existed. Of course, I was not there, and neither were you. Heck,
    based on what you say below, the bear may have even willing to retreat
    if they gave it more than a second of response time.

    Quoted message said:

    Second, they do not know that the woman was going fast or slow. They did
    not
    describe the area other than to say she was riding a marked trail --
    that
    appears by other parts of the story to be a ski run in winter.

    That's nice.

    Quoted message said:

    Third, the story does not suggest that the woman may have gone down, and
    the
    bear simply took advantage of the situation to have a meal.

    It does not state it, but it implies that the *possibility exists*
    with the following paragraphs:

    "It's unclear if the bear, estimated to be about 54 kilograms (120
    pounds), had in fact fatally attacked the woman.

    "They don't know whether the bear was the cause or whether it was
    just
    there," said Mark Woodburn, vice-president of Panorama Mountain
    Village. "

    Quoted message said:

    Fourth, most animals will always go the other way in response to human
    visitation. Indeed, all animals know people are coming long before
    people
    know there are animals in the area.

    Most, but not all, especially if they are familar with otherwise
    harmless people. I have personally watched thousands of wild animals,
    bears included, who have made little or no effort to stay at much more
    than arms length. I have surprised a few, too, and after a brief
    period of alertness, they may either retreat or go about their
    business. It depends quite a bit on the the circumstances.

    Quoted message said:

    Lastly, what conclusion did the reporter jump to?- Hide quoted text -

    Sorry, I misread - Mike made that conclusion. Actually, the reporter
    did a pretty good job reporting the facts, and not making assumptions.

    The statistical probability remains that rapidly moving humans put
    themselves at greater risk of animal attack than those who walk.
    Runners and cyclists have been attacked far more than walkers by
    predators, although not exclusively so. A cyclist moves faster than a
    walker, and his/her legs will appear as though to run. Finally, the
    bear may have been unfairly shot.

    Bruce Jensen


  9. john said:

    Well he's tried the "dazzle them with brilliance" route and has seen that it
    doesn't work because, well, he's an idiot. Now he's gone to the "baffle
    them with [censored]" route after seeing everyone doesn't fall for how smart
    he claims he is.
    I'm just getting back into the sport after a long break. And back in the
    mid/late 90's he was creeping around too. I was kind of hoping that nature
    would have taken its course and he would have been run over by a herd of
    horses or cows or whatever, but no such luck. Too bad there isn't an
    extermintor for this type of problem.

    Your death threat is duly notes. And turned over to the authorities.
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  10. Anthony DeLorenzo said:
    Bruce Jensen said:

    It sounds like the reporter was, anyway. It is very sad that the bear
    was killed without haivng answered some questions. It seems like
    there could have been another solution than the wild west variety
    "shoot first" approach.

    IMHO, RCMP made the right call to shoot the bear. At the time, they
    probably couldn't be certain she was dead, and obviously the priority
    was to save her life if at all possible. The bear was guarding the
    kill and not letting them approach.

    Look at it from the officer's perspective: The consequences of the
    opposite scenario (woman bleeding to death while RCMP await a
    conservation officer to tranquilize the bear) are far worse than
    perhaps hastily shooting the bear.

    If nothing else, I am sure that this poor person's family would be
    grateful that her remains were protected as much as possible.

    That's incredibly selfish. If you were in the bear's position, you
    wouldn't want to be shot. Humans are the most selfish species in the
    world....

    Quoted message said:

    Regards,
    Anthony


    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  11. "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    john said:

    Well he's tried the "dazzle them with brilliance" route and has seen that
    it
    doesn't work because, well, he's an idiot. Now he's gone to the "baffle
    them with [censored]" route after seeing everyone doesn't fall for how smart
    he claims he is.
    I'm just getting back into the sport after a long break. And back in the
    mid/late 90's he was creeping around too. I was kind of hoping that
    nature
    would have taken its course and he would have been run over by a herd of
    horses or cows or whatever, but no such luck. Too bad there isn't an
    extermintor for this type of problem.

    Your death threat is duly notes. And turned over to the authorities.

    POINT OF ORDER
    I don't know who Mike is talking about here, those are not my words. Since
    Mike is known to cross post, my guess is that somebody replied to me and
    trimmed the group he posts from ...

  12. "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Anthony DeLorenzo said:
    Bruce Jensen said:

    It sounds like the reporter was, anyway. It is very sad that the bear
    was killed without haivng answered some questions. It seems like
    there could have been another solution than the wild west variety
    "shoot first" approach.

    IMHO, RCMP made the right call to shoot the bear. At the time, they
    probably couldn't be certain she was dead, and obviously the priority
    was to save her life if at all possible. The bear was guarding the
    kill and not letting them approach.

    Look at it from the officer's perspective: The consequences of the
    opposite scenario (woman bleeding to death while RCMP await a
    conservation officer to tranquilize the bear) are far worse than
    perhaps hastily shooting the bear.

    If nothing else, I am sure that this poor person's family would be
    grateful that her remains were protected as much as possible.

    That's incredibly selfish. If you were in the bear's position, you
    wouldn't want to be shot. Humans are the most selfish species in the
    world....

    Alternatively, if I was the woman that they were looking for, I'm sure I
    would not want to be eaten. Bears are soooooo selfish ...

  13. Quoted message said:

    That's incredibly selfish. If you were in the bear's position, you
    wouldn't want to be shot. Humans are the most selfish species in the
    world....

    That's a plain stupid remark, ruling out your existance....

    There are at least SOME humans around that care for the bears. I can't
    imagine that bears would care for us....

  14. You may want to reread that. I'm pretty sure there isn't a death threat in
    there. Can't be arrested for your hopes now can you

    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    john said:

    Well he's tried the "dazzle them with brilliance" route and has seen that
    it
    doesn't work because, well, he's an idiot. Now he's gone to the "baffle
    them with [censored]" route after seeing everyone doesn't fall for how smart
    he claims he is.
    I'm just getting back into the sport after a long break. And back in the
    mid/late 90's he was creeping around too. I was kind of hoping that
    nature
    would have taken its course and he would have been run over by a herd of
    horses or cows or whatever, but no such luck. Too bad there isn't an
    extermintor for this type of problem.

    Your death threat is duly notes. And turned over to the authorities.
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
    fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  15. Jeff Strickland said:


    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Anthony DeLorenzo said:

    On Jul 24, 8:16 am, Bruce Jensen <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > It sounds like the reporter was, anyway. It is very sad that the bear
    > was killed without haivng answered some questions. It seems like
    > there could have been another solution than the wild west variety
    > "shoot first" approach.

    IMHO, RCMP made the right call to shoot the bear. At the time, they
    probably couldn't be certain she was dead, and obviously the priority
    was to save her life if at all possible. The bear was guarding the
    kill and not letting them approach.

    Look at it from the officer's perspective: The consequences of the
    opposite scenario (woman bleeding to death while RCMP await a
    conservation officer to tranquilize the bear) are far worse than
    perhaps hastily shooting the bear.

    If nothing else, I am sure that this poor person's family would be
    grateful that her remains were protected as much as possible.

    That's incredibly selfish. If you were in the bear's position, you
    wouldn't want to be shot. Humans are the most selfish species in the
    world....

    Alternatively, if I was the woman that they were looking for, I'm sure I
    would not want to be eaten. Bears are soooooo selfish ...

    BS. She was only protecting her cubs. That's UN-selfish. DUH!
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  16. Doezel said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's incredibly selfish. If you were in the bear's position, you
    wouldn't want to be shot. Humans are the most selfish species in the
    world....

    That's a plain stupid remark, ruling out your existance....

    There are at least SOME humans around that care for the bears.

    No mountain bikers, that's for sure! They are the lowest form of human
    life, bar none.

    I can't

    Quoted message said:

    imagine that bears would care for us....

    That's just an excuse.
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  17. Jeff Strickland said:


    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    john said:

    Well he's tried the "dazzle them with brilliance" route and has seen that
    it
    doesn't work because, well, he's an idiot. Now he's gone to the "baffle
    them with [censored]" route after seeing everyone doesn't fall for how smart
    he claims he is.
    I'm just getting back into the sport after a long break. And back in the
    mid/late 90's he was creeping around too. I was kind of hoping that
    nature
    would have taken its course and he would have been run over by a herd of
    horses or cows or whatever, but no such luck. Too bad there isn't an
    extermintor for this type of problem.

    Your death threat is duly notes. And turned over to the authorities.

    POINT OF ORDER
    I don't know who Mike is talking about here, those are not my words. Since
    Mike is known to cross post, my guess is that somebody replied to me and
    trimmed the group he posts from ...

    It's "john" <[email hidden]>. Learn to read!
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  18. john said:

    You may want to reread that. I'm pretty sure there isn't a death threat in
    there. Can't be arrested for your hopes now can you

    "Too bad there isn't an extermintor for this type of problem." Learn
    to read!

    Quoted message said:

    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    john said:

    Well he's tried the "dazzle them with brilliance" route and has seen that
    it
    doesn't work because, well, he's an idiot. Now he's gone to the "baffle
    them with [censored]" route after seeing everyone doesn't fall for how smart
    he claims he is.
    I'm just getting back into the sport after a long break. And back in the
    mid/late 90's he was creeping around too. I was kind of hoping that
    nature
    would have taken its course and he would have been run over by a herd of
    horses or cows or whatever, but no such luck. Too bad there isn't an
    extermintor for this type of problem.

    Your death threat is duly notes. And turned over to the authorities.
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
    fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande



    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  19. Jeff Strickland said:

    I'm not concerned with the welfare of the bear, sorry.

    I am sorry too. That is the attitude of too many people in this
    world. It also carries over to other humans.

    Quoted message said:

    I am concerned with the outlandish lies of Michael J Vandeman that are told
    in furtherance of the lie that says we should all stay at home and watch
    nature programs on TV instead of getting a first-hand experience.

    Mike will tell you that his agenda is bike tires, but it is really rubber.
    Rubber belongs on cement, not dirt. That is Mike's real agenda.

    I agree.

    Bruce Jensen

  20. On Jul 24, 11:41 am, Anthony DeLorenzo <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Bruce Jensen said:

    It sounds like the reporter was, anyway. It is very sad that the bear
    was killed without haivng answered some questions. It seems like
    there could have been another solution than the wild west variety
    "shoot first" approach.

    IMHO, RCMP made the right call to shoot the bear. At the time, they
    probably couldn't be certain she was dead, and obviously the priority
    was to save her life if at all possible. The bear was guarding the
    kill and not letting them approach.

    This was not clear from the story, although it is not an unreasonable
    implication.

    Quoted message said:

    Look at it from the officer's perspective: The consequences of the
    opposite scenario (woman bleeding to death while RCMP await a
    conservation officer to tranquilize the bear) are far worse than
    perhaps hastily shooting the bear.

    Possibly true. Again, I wasn't there, so I cannot be sure.

    Bruce Jensen

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.