Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Re: I did my first century today.

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 626 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
1 September 2006
Last activity
2 September 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
626
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bill Baka said:

    Uh,
    I my case a sore rear, and kind of tingliness in my wrists that keeps me
    changing grip position.

    Perhaps you're gripping too hard? I used to ride pretty intensely.
    Also, you should just get a recumbent bicycle. It's
    sooooooooooooooooooooo comfortable. Or at least get an upright with
    full suspension. I find that, even on an upright, good suspension
    really takes the edge off bumps and shocks! But recumbent's really the
    only way to go, especially for a sore rear end.

    Quoted message said:

    That and the fact that I do live far enough out
    in the country I have to carry a back pack or something for the extra
    food and water.

    For all day riding, panniers are best. Load up on some MREs and water
    and you're good to go!

    Quoted message said:

    I have tried about 6 different saddles and none seems to
    fit the 100 mile criteria, and I have no clue why my hands get the
    tingles after about 20 miles straight riding. That is about the point
    where I get off and stand and shake my hands to get blood flow going again.

    You should get a recumbent for sure. Yeah there's such a thing as
    "recumbent butt" and "recumbent feet" but I've only had it ("recumbent
    feet," or slightly numbing feet) a handful of times in about two
    thousand miles so far.

    Quoted message said:

    The only psychological factor that stops me is the nagging feeling that
    I have something important to do at home or something, which is usually
    not true.

    That also reminds me: I'm probably going to be single my whole life!
    Can't imagine being tied down to another's demands -- especially when
    trying to enjoy a day of cycling and exploration!

    Can't wait until people can bicycle on the moon or even Mars...I wonder
    how that would be like!! Less gravity...less effort...more travel?
    More speed?? Gotta watch that oxygen....

    Quoted message said:

    Bill Baka

  2. Quoted message said:
    Bill Baka said:


    Uh,
    I my case a sore rear, and kind of tingliness in my wrists that keeps me
    changing grip position.

    Perhaps you're gripping too hard?

    Only on the off road sections where I have to.

    I used to ride pretty intensely.

    I still do, even as an old timer. My grand kids won't even try some of
    the stuff I do on a bicycle.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, you should just get a recumbent bicycle. It's
    sooooooooooooooooooooo comfortable.

    That is a distinct possibility for the exercise on the road. Impossible
    for some of the deer trails I ride way back in the boonies.

    Or at least get an upright with

    Quoted message said:

    full suspension. I find that, even on an upright, good suspension
    really takes the edge off bumps and shocks!

    I had one but only the front suspension really worked. I had to hit a
    3G+ bump for the rear to even move.

    But recumbent's really the

    Quoted message said:

    only way to go, especially for a sore rear end.

    I will agree to that, for general road use.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    That and the fact that I do live far enough out
    in the country I have to carry a back pack or something for the extra
    food and water.

    For all day riding, panniers are best. Load up on some MREs and water
    and you're good to go!

    I have some metal, foldable racks on the rear and I can take an ice
    chest in one and a gallon jug of cold water in the other, plus 3
    standard water bottles. A plus is that I can take my 35mm camera and
    about 3 lenses too. One water holder is one the front fork, held on with
    auto heater hose clamps. It is a Fred job, but only takes about 5
    minutes to take off all the junk.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I have tried about 6 different saddles and none seems to
    fit the 100 mile criteria, and I have no clue why my hands get the
    tingles after about 20 miles straight riding. That is about the point
    where I get off and stand and shake my hands to get blood flow going again.

    You should get a recumbent for sure. Yeah there's such a thing as
    "recumbent butt" and "recumbent feet" but I've only had it ("recumbent
    feet," or slightly numbing feet) a handful of times in about two
    thousand miles so far.

    The only thing I have had happen to my feet is getting cooked from the
    heat coming off the asphalt.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    The only psychological factor that stops me is the nagging feeling that
    I have something important to do at home or something, which is usually
    not true.

    That also reminds me: I'm probably going to be single my whole life!
    Can't imagine being tied down to another's demands -- especially when
    trying to enjoy a day of cycling and exploration!

    Tell me about it. 27 years of marriage and she keeps telling me to act
    my age. Huh? I am acting how I feel, which is a lot closer to 30 than
    60. I can't get her or my daughter on a bike to save my (their) life.

    Quoted message said:


    Can't wait until people can bicycle on the moon or even Mars...I wonder
    how that would be like!! Less gravity...less effort...more travel?
    More speed?? Gotta watch that oxygen....

    I wonder how fast you could go on a paved surface on the moon with zero
    point 0000 air resistance? 100 MPH, 200+, or faster until your Oxygen
    gives out? Great to dream about, but then reality hits.
    There was some crazy guy who tried to ski down Mt. Everest and even with
    a drag chute behind him he was hitting close to 100 MPH. I didn't see
    the whole story so I don't know if he made it or killed himself.
    Bill Baka

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Bill Baka


  3. Bill Baka said:

    ...One water holder is one the front fork, held on with
    auto heater hose clamps. It is a Fred job, but only takes about 5
    minutes to take off all the junk....

    You can upgrade by referring to said attachment devices as "Jubilee
    Clips" [1].

    [1] <http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/>.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

  4. Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman said:
    Bill Baka said:

    ...One water holder is one the front fork, held on with
    auto heater hose clamps. It is a Fred job, but only takes about 5
    minutes to take off all the junk....

    You can upgrade by referring to said attachment devices as "Jubilee
    Clips" [1].

    [1] <http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/>.


    Same exact thing but jubileeclips does kind of sound cooler.
    Whatever works. I am famous for duct tape and RTV Silicone fixes.
    Bill Baka

  5. Bill Baka said:

    Only on the off road sections where I have to.

    I still do, even as an old timer. My grand kids won't even try some of
    the stuff I do on a bicycle.

    That is a distinct possibility for the exercise on the road. Impossible
    for some of the deer trails I ride way back in the boonies.

    Clickez a <http://cybercondor.free.fr/> pour voir quelques bents tout
    terrains! (Et remarquez que les casques de bicyclettes ne sont pas
    exigés!)

    Quoted message said:

    I had one but only the front suspension really worked. I had to hit a
    3G+ bump for the rear to even move.

    Well, I guess you need one which is adjustable! Get the best air
    shocks you can afford...really makes a world of difference. I've got a
    $400 DT Swiss rear shock -- and it's worth every penny! I've put it
    and the front Meks Carbon fork through many a New York City pothole,
    and they have never ever failed me.

    Quoted message said:

    I will agree to that, for general road use.

    Vive les bents extrêmes sur <http://cybercondor.free.fr/>!!

    Quoted message said:

    I have some metal, foldable racks on the rear and I can take an ice
    chest in one and a gallon jug of cold water in the other, plus 3
    standard water bottles. A plus is that I can take my 35mm camera and
    about 3 lenses too. One water holder is one the front fork, held on with
    auto heater hose clamps. It is a Fred job, but only takes about 5
    minutes to take off all the junk.

    Goodness, no wonder you have a sore rear! How about a trailer, then?

    Quoted message said:

    The only thing I have had happen to my feet is getting cooked from the
    heat coming off the asphalt.

    Wow, are you biking in sandals through Death Valley?

    Quoted message said:

    Tell me about it. 27 years of marriage and she keeps telling me to act
    my age. Huh? I am acting how I feel, which is a lot closer to 30 than
    60. I can't get her or my daughter on a bike to save my (their) life.

    Hmm. In "Tandem and Recumbent Rider" I've even read of wives who gave
    up cycling after marriage and kids!

    Then again, maybe when your wife said to act your age, she was
    referring to you and younger girls! Seriously, I no longer wonder why
    everyone wears sunglasses all the time. =)

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder how fast you could go on a paved surface on the moon with zero
    point 0000 air resistance? 100 MPH, 200+, or faster until your Oxygen
    gives out? Great to dream about, but then reality hits.

    I wonder about flying off a ramp, too! And landing!

    Quoted message said:

    There was some crazy guy who tried to ski down Mt. Everest and even with
    a drag chute behind him he was hitting close to 100 MPH. I didn't see
    the whole story so I don't know if he made it or killed himself.

    Um, which part of Mt. Everest? Sounds impressive, until you realize it
    can't have been but very low near the base.

    Surely you've seen this, right:
    <http://www.jumpingpixels.com/bicyclespeed.html>?

    Quoted message said:

    Bill Baka

  6. NYC XYZ said:
    Bill Baka said:


    Only on the off road sections where I have to.

    I still do, even as an old timer. My grand kids won't even try some of
    the stuff I do on a bicycle.

    That is a distinct possibility for the exercise on the road. Impossible
    for some of the deer trails I ride way back in the boonies.

    Clickez a <http://cybercondor.free.fr/> pour voir quelques bents tout
    terrains! (Et remarquez que les casques de bicyclettes ne sont pas
    exigés!)

    Interesting site. I wish my French was a little more up to par but I got
    most of it. The first photo of a guy going dirt gonzo looked like it
    would take me a lot of miles to get to that point on a bent. Still, it
    wasn't as radical as the trails I take in the back woods in the mountains.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I had one but only the front suspension really worked. I had to hit a
    3G+ bump for the rear to even move.

    Well, I guess you need one which is adjustable! Get the best air
    shocks you can afford...really makes a world of difference. I've got a
    $400 DT Swiss rear shock -- and it's worth every penny! I've put it
    and the front Meks Carbon fork through many a New York City pothole,
    and they have never ever failed me.

    A New York pothole? And you didn't just fall into the subway system?
    Those holes are famous.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I will agree to that, for general road use.

    Vive les bents extrêmes sur <http://cybercondor.free.fr/>!!

    Quoted message said:

    I have some metal, foldable racks on the rear and I can take an ice
    chest in one and a gallon jug of cold water in the other, plus 3
    standard water bottles. A plus is that I can take my 35mm camera and
    about 3 lenses too. One water holder is one the front fork, held on with
    auto heater hose clamps. It is a Fred job, but only takes about 5
    minutes to take off all the junk.

    Goodness, no wonder you have a sore rear! How about a trailer, then?

    A trailer would do me no good since the dirt roads I take tend to be
    wash boarded severely and going even 25 MPH on the downhills just about
    rattles the fillings out of my teeth. A trailer would have to have it's
    own suspension for that. I also take deer paths (literally) that are
    only about 6 inches to maybe a foot wide and on the side of a 60 degree
    slope. I would have to de-trailer before those. I have gotten so far
    into those that I have had to leave the bike and just hike to see where
    it went. You just can't ride when the uphill pedal is hitting the dirt
    and a crash would mean a nasty fall bouncing down the hillside to the creek.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    The only thing I have had happen to my feet is getting cooked from the
    heat coming off the asphalt.

    Wow, are you biking in sandals through Death Valley?

    Not exactly, but it did stay over 100 for a large part of June and July
    this year and I am not a morning person. By mid afternoon the pavement
    gets plenty hot. Even the TdF this year was reporting on pavement
    temperature.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Tell me about it. 27 years of marriage and she keeps telling me to act
    my age. Huh? I am acting how I feel, which is a lot closer to 30 than
    60. I can't get her or my daughter on a bike to save my (their) life.

    Hmm. In "Tandem and Recumbent Rider" I've even read of wives who gave
    up cycling after marriage and kids!

    Then again, maybe when your wife said to act your age, she was
    referring to you and younger girls! Seriously, I no longer wonder why
    everyone wears sunglasses all the time. =)

    I wear polarized UV blockers with 20% pass window tint film on them and
    it is still almost too bright. The UV will hurt you eyes after you turn
    40 but most young people think they are invincible until they get older
    and things start to catch up. My dad was an outdoor addict and never
    wore sunglasses ("They are for sissies."😉 and he had to have cataract
    surgery at 65.
    Moral,
    Do wear sunglasses.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I wonder how fast you could go on a paved surface on the moon with zero
    point 0000 air resistance? 100 MPH, 200+, or faster until your Oxygen
    gives out? Great to dream about, but then reality hits.

    I wonder about flying off a ramp, too! And landing!

    Fast enough and you might hit escape velocity. Human powered launch vehicle.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    There was some crazy guy who tried to ski down Mt. Everest and even with
    a drag chute behind him he was hitting close to 100 MPH. I didn't see
    the whole story so I don't know if he made it or killed himself.

    Um, which part of Mt. Everest? Sounds impressive, until you realize it
    can't have been but very low near the base.

    I saw part of the video and he started from the top or very near. It
    could probably be googled or maybe there could be a link on ask.com, the
    new kid on the block.

    Quoted message said:


    Surely you've seen this, right:
    <http://www.jumpingpixels.com/bicyclespeed.html>?

    Yeah,
    I just watched it again, including the wipe out. 163 KpH is what 110 MPH?
    I saw that the bike broke in two on the front end but didn't see him hit
    that big a bump. I am only trying for a computer measured 60 MPH, not
    100. That exceeds my sanity limit, but I did notice they had him
    standing after the wipe out and he looked like he didn't know where he was.
    Ouch.
    Bill Baka

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Bill Baka


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.