UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: How do the shocks work (break?) on Specialized Rock Hopper Comp FS

Started by Linda Donovan · · Last activity · 4 posts · 944 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
13 August 2004
Last activity
16 August 2004
Original author
Linda Donovan
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
944
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [email hidden] (Jim Edgar) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There is a circular sticker on the right side fork which
    says Specialized Future FS Shock Sport (made in USA)


    ... the Future Shock FS you describe is probably what you have
    ... the Rock Shox Judy had thicker legs that did not taper

    I just looked and these shocks taper ever so slightly, at the bottom.

    Quoted message said:

    If your shock is the Mag21, it used an air spring, so if someone used
    it and "blew the seals", it would remain fully compressed as you
    describe.

    That *does* explain some things.

    Quoted message said:

    It does date back to the early days of suspension

    The bike is about 5 years old (is that the 'early days' of
    suspension)?

    Quoted message said:

    ... for $250-300, you can get a brand new & complete bike with
    a suspension fork.

    Wow. Prices must have come *way* down! I paid over 700 dollars for
    this mountain bike about 5 years ago in the bay area. I haven't priced
    anything recently, but, $300 seems almost free. Even so, it seems like
    forks should be a wear-and-tear item so parts & instructions would be
    very accessible I would have thought.

    Quoted message said:

    The FS Comp you own probably has a 1" steerer tube diameter,
    which will make finding a currently manufactured fork reasonably
    problematic...(most are 1 1/8" now and use a different type of stem).

    Just a few weeks ago I added a three-inch or so handlebar stem. The
    bike shop was *not* a Specialized shop (so they didn't know anything
    about the forks) but they did remove the handlebars and measure the
    stem to be a standard that the off-the-shelf "Delta" adapter fit (to
    compensate by adding height height due, in part, to the collapsed
    forks).

    Quoted message said:

    probably find a 1" rigid (non-suspension) fork for $20-40.
    Then you need to have a shop install it - probably $20+.

    Wow. At those prices, it makes no sense to fix the shocks. But, I
    really did like those bouncy things when I rode down the Santa Cruz
    mountains along the San Andreas fault line. The rocks on the steep
    4000 foot trail are as big as houses and the ride was as smooth as ...
    well, as smooth as can be on a rocky trail.

    Are my shocks that old (about 4 or 5 years) that it would be so hard
    to find replacements?

    regards,
    Linda

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
    posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
    Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  2. Linda Donovan said:

    [email hidden] (Jim Edgar) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There is a circular sticker on the right side fork which
    says Specialized Future FS Shock Sport (made in USA)

    ... the Future Shock FS you describe is probably what you have
    ... the Rock Shox Judy had thicker legs that did not taper

    I just looked and these shocks taper ever so slightly, at the bottom.

    Quoted message said:

    If your shock is the Mag21, it used an air spring, so if someone used
    it and "blew the seals", it would remain fully compressed as you
    describe.

    That *does* explain some things.

    Quoted message said:

    It does date back to the early days of suspension

    The bike is about 5 years old (is that the 'early days' of
    suspension)?

    No. The "early days" of suspension were about 5-6 years before that.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ... for $250-300, you can get a brand new & complete bike with
    a suspension fork.

    Wow. Prices must have come *way* down! I paid over 700 dollars for
    this mountain bike about 5 years ago in the bay area. I haven't priced
    anything recently, but, $300 seems almost free. Even so, it seems like
    forks should be a wear-and-tear item so parts & instructions would be
    very accessible I would have thought.

    Not really. For $250-$300 you will get a piece of junk. Your
    Rockhopper FS Comp was/is a nice bike. It would be worth it to get the
    shock fixed.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    The FS Comp you own probably has a 1" steerer tube diameter,
    which will make finding a currently manufactured fork reasonably
    problematic...(most are 1 1/8" now and use a different type of stem).

    Stem doesn't matter. You just match it to whatever fork you have. Back
    in '94 the Rockhopper FS Comp was using an Ahead-Set, so I would assume
    that it still would be in '99. If I remember correctly, it was an 1
    1/8" steerer.

    Quoted message said:

    Just a few weeks ago I added a three-inch or so handlebar stem. The
    bike shop was *not* a Specialized shop (so they didn't know anything
    about the forks) but they did remove the handlebars and measure the
    stem to be a standard that the off-the-shelf "Delta" adapter fit (to
    compensate by adding height height due, in part, to the collapsed
    forks).

    Quoted message said:

    probably find a 1" rigid (non-suspension) fork for $20-40.
    Then you need to have a shop install it - probably $20+.

    Wow. At those prices, it makes no sense to fix the shocks. But, I
    really did like those bouncy things when I rode down the Santa Cruz
    mountains along the San Andreas fault line. The rocks on the steep
    4000 foot trail are as big as houses and the ride was as smooth as ...
    well, as smooth as can be on a rocky trail.

    Are my shocks that old (about 4 or 5 years) that it would be so hard
    to find replacements?

    No. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a shop that can fix your
    bicycle correctly, or replace the shock with a more modern version.

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
    posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
    Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  3. Threeducks <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If your shock is the Mag21, it used an air spring, so if someone used
    it and "blew the seals", it would remain fully compressed as you
    describe.

    I have borrowed a Specialized Rock Hopper Comp FS mountain bike with
    dual shocks of about the same age as yours (4 or 5 years). I think it
    has metal springs. So, whoever borrowed your bike almost certainly
    abused it beyond belief. I would consider ditching that friend if I
    were you as it's almost impossible to break those metal springs. They
    are like garage door torsion springs, they are so strong. I suspect
    your friend purposefully broke them as they are really very hard to
    break. Can't say how they did it, but, I'd confront them if I were
    you. Shocks just don't break on their own.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The bike is about 5 years old (is that the 'early days' of
    suspension)?

    No. The "early days" of suspension were about 5-6 years before that.

    Actually, the early days of suspension were about 1902, but, bicycles
    (being the low tech things they are) never caught on. For example, I
    wonder when bikes will finally get seats that don't require padded
    panties for the rider to compensate for the poor engineering which
    bike engineers pass off on consumers. The poor consumer has to add 10%
    of the bike price for pads to compensate for lazy engineering. Amazing
    we put up with that. They should all be fired ... or better yet,
    offshored & bangalored in my opinion.

    Orak Listalavostok

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
    posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
    Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  4. Threeducks <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If your shock is the Mag21, it used an air spring, so if someone used
    it and "blew the seals", it would remain fully compressed as you
    describe.

    I have borrowed a Specialized Rock Hopper Comp FS mountain bike with
    dual shocks of about the same age as yours (4 or 5 years). I think it
    has metal springs. So, whoever borrowed your bike almost certainly
    abused it beyond belief. I would consider ditching that friend if I
    were you as it's almost impossible to break those metal springs. They
    are like garage door torsion springs, they are so strong. I suspect
    your friend purposefully broke them as they are really very hard to
    break. Can't say how they did it, but, I'd confront them if I were
    you. Shocks just don't break on their own.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The bike is about 5 years old (is that the 'early days' of
    suspension)?

    No. The "early days" of suspension were about 5-6 years before that.

    Actually, the early days of suspension were about 1902, but, bicycles
    (being the low tech things they are) never caught on. For example, I
    wonder when bikes will finally get seats that don't require padded
    panties for the rider to compensate for the poor engineering which
    bike engineers pass off on consumers. The poor consumer has to add 10%
    of the bike price for pads to compensate for lazy engineering. Amazing
    we put up with that. They should all be fired ... or better yet,
    offshored & bangalored in my opinion.

    Orak Listalavostok

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
    posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
    Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.