"Booker C. Bense"
<[email hidden]> wrote in
message news:[email hidden]...
[...]
Quoted message said:_ It's moderated and it suffers the fate of all moderated
groups. They are only as good as the moderators. If the
software breaks or they fall down on the job, the group
goes in a downward spiral to uselessness. ( People only tend
to post in groups where they see a lot of posts. )
That is why I am trying to drag some others over to ARBR (with not much
success) by doing some cross-posting. The group is so small that it is in
constant danger of dying. Most of the other cycling groups do not have to
worry about being too small, but that is a constant concern with ARBR.
Many of the former members of ARBR have fled to BROL, a moderated website
forum. Some like it there but many do not. There is just no reason why ARBR
should not be more popular than it is.
Quoted message said:In general moderation is the kiss of death for most newsgroups,
especially since if I remember correctly[1] the software depends on
working email addresses. (i.e. all posts to the group get sent
to an email address for approval, I suspect most usenet posts
with non-functional From fields get put in the SPAM bucket long
before they get to the moderators... ) Unless the moderators
spend the time and effort to setup and maintain automoderation
software, most moderated groups dwindle away.
Excellent post Booker. I actually learned a few things that I did not know
before.
Regards,
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota