rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Re: Good bicycling mag?

Started by Ozark Bicycle · · Last activity · 11 posts · 520 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
5 September 2007
Last activity
11 September 2007
Original author
Ozark Bicycle
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
520
Views / 30 days
17
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. (Tom Keats) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:

    "Ears" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
    rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
    riding? I ride on and off road.

    Quoted message said:

    Momentum might be up your alley. Three year US subscription is $75.00. You
    can also see it on-line here:http://www.momentumplanet.com/. I loved the
    article, A Field Guide to Vancouver Cyclists:
    http://www.momentumplanet.com/features/field-guide-vancouver-cyclists.

    I'll second that recommendation.


    <snipped>

    Quoted message said:


    The Great Sheldon Brown has a contribution
    in the current issue.

    http://tinyurl.com/2ulpfh

    That "contribution" is a short article with a very negative take on
    charity rides (Tour de Cure, MS150, Aids Ride, etc). I've seen similar
    stuff from this individual before, and I must ask "why all the
    negativity"? I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
    volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers
    might pick poor routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.
    But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing
    something positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge.
    The high percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying
    experience, IMO/E.

    Quoted message said:

    <snipped>

  2. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal rider with
    >a modest income and also more articles about real world riding? I ride
    >on and off road.<<<<<

    If you live on the east coast of the USA and you can put up with awful
    spelling and grammar, try The Ride: East Coast Bike Culture. It kind of
    fits the specs you presented. But seriously, some of the articles are so
    poorly written that you will have to read them several times to understand
    the point. Also, if you're a REALLY casual rider, but you like long, scenic
    path rides, subscribe to Rails To Trails Magazine.

  3. On Sep 5, 2:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle ...

    Quoted message said:

    I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
    volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides.

    Most charity rides are probably great for the rider and volunteers.
    One possible downside (different from the point of the article you
    were referring to) is that the ride may also do very little, if
    anything, to raise money for the nominal charity/cause. It's not
    necessarily due to fraud, but simply inefficiency (though gross
    inefficiency directed in certain ways can be tantamount to fraud).

    A few years ago, I "sponsored" a co-worker for a big name, high
    publicity, multi-day charity ride where each rider had to pledge on
    the order of a thousand of dollars just to participate. Unbeknownst
    to my co-worker, those of us who sponsored him essentially subsidized
    his wonderful cycling vacation because the vast majority of money
    raised went for putting on the ride itself. Very little money
    actually went to the cause.

    So before participating in a charity ride, especially one where you
    solicit monetary contributions from your friends and family, it'd be
    good to check to see if it's a worthwhile application of their
    generosity. If you want to treat it just as a cycling vacation and
    pay the pledge amount yourself, no worries, knock yourself out.


  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
    > rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
    > riding? I ride on and off road.

    Quoted message said:

    Momentum might be up your alley. Three year US subscription is $75.00.
    You
    can also see it on-line here:http://www.momentumplanet.com/. I loved
    the
    article, A Field Guide to Vancouver Cyclists:
    http://www.momentumplanet.com/features/field-guide-vancouver-cyclists.

    I'll second that recommendation.


    <snipped>

    Quoted message said:


    The Great Sheldon Brown has a contribution
    in the current issue.

    http://tinyurl.com/2ulpfh

    That "contribution" is a short article with a very negative take on
    charity rides (Tour de Cure, MS150, Aids Ride, etc). I've seen similar
    stuff from this individual before, and I must ask "why all the
    negativity"? I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
    volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers
    might pick poor routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.
    But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing
    something positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge.
    The high percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying
    experience, IMO/E.


    =====================================================================

    Years ago , I rode many an MS ride, and all the other disease rides. Had
    some fun. I never raised any money to
    speak of. I would just pay the ride entrance fee. Usually around $20 bucks
    or something.

    Then, the rides started getting more expensive. They wanted me to raise
    $$$$$ ..

    As much as I liked the rides, the people, etc it just became tiresome to try
    and raise money.

    So, I stopped riding the charity rides.

    A couple of years back, a friend of mind got involved in the Mass Challenge
    ride. This ride goes across Mass in middle of August. She
    had to almost start a business to raise the money. Thousands,, she had a
    Christmas fund raiser, a summer fund raiser,, and even then I got emails
    asking for more money.

    This is a very worthy ride. The money goes toward Cancer research. Almost
    every penny.

    But I can't ride. Why? Because I can't raise thousands of dollars.

    How does this make me feel? Pretty bad.

    I wish these rides, and the ride organizations would start to consider that
    not everyone can raise thousands of dollars.

  5. On Sep 5, 6:43 pm, "Sir Thomas of Cannondale" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
    >> rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
    >> riding? I ride on and off road.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Momentum might be up your alley. Three year US subscription is $75.00.
    > You
    > can also see it on-line here:http://www.momentumplanet.com/. I loved
    > the
    > article, A Field Guide to Vancouver Cyclists:
    >http://www.momentumplanet.com/features/field-guide-vancouver-cyclists.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'll second that recommendation.

    Quoted message said:

    <snipped>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The Great Sheldon Brown has a contribution
    in the current issue.

    Quoted message said:

    http://tinyurl.com/2ulpfh

    Quoted message said:

    That "contribution" is a short article with a very negative take on
    charity rides (Tour de Cure, MS150, Aids Ride, etc). I've seen similar
    stuff from this individual before, and I must ask "why all the
    negativity"? I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
    volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers
    might pick poor routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.
    But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing
    something positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge.
    The high percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying
    experience, IMO/E.

    =====================================================================

    Years ago , I rode many an MS ride, and all the other disease rides. Had
    some fun. I never raised any money to
    speak of. I would just pay the ride entrance fee. Usually around $20 bucks
    or something.

    Then, the rides started getting more expensive. They wanted me to raise
    $$$$$ ..

    As much as I liked the rides, the people, etc it just became tiresome to try
    and raise money.

    So, I stopped riding the charity rides.

    A couple of years back, a friend of mind got involved in the Mass Challenge
    ride. This ride goes across Mass in middle of August. She
    had to almost start a business to raise the money. Thousands,, she had a
    Christmas fund raiser, a summer fund raiser,, and even then I got emails
    asking for more money.

    This is a very worthy ride. The money goes toward Cancer research. Almost
    every penny.

    But I can't ride. Why? Because I can't raise thousands of dollars.

    How does this make me feel? Pretty bad.

    I wish these rides, and the ride organizations would start to consider that
    not everyone can raise thousands of dollars

    But, OTOH, accepting riders who only come up with the $20-40
    "registration fee" actually costs the charity money, thus diverting
    funds away from the "cause". IMO, charity rides requiring a ~$20-40
    "registration fee" and a fund raising minimum of ~$100-150 for a one
    day event (such as the Tour de Cure) are on the right track. Multi-day
    events cost more and rightly should have higher minimums. YMMV.

  6. In rec.bicycles.misc said:

    On Sep 5, 2:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle ...

    Quoted message said:

    I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
    volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides.

    Quoted message said:

    Most charity rides are probably great for the rider and volunteers.
    One possible downside (different from the point of the article you
    were referring to) is that the ride may also do very little, if
    anything, to raise money for the nominal charity/cause. It's not
    necessarily due to fraud, but simply inefficiency (though gross
    inefficiency directed in certain ways can be tantamount to fraud).

    Having been involved in one particular charity ride for a couple of
    years, I think I should speak about the other side of the coin. The ride
    I've been in is the Utah MS-150, and I can tell you a bit about the
    finances.
    First of all, there is a rider registration fee. That's what it's
    called; that's what it is. It pays for the ride, partially. It runs from
    about $20 for earlybirds, to $50 for last-minute registrants. The money
    from registration pays for things like meals and the souvenir t-shirt that
    all riders get.
    The ride itself is sponsored by a number of businesses. My employer is
    the over-all sponsor, and sinks a considerable amount of time and money
    into it. There are other sponsors, like Fidelity Investments, which
    sponsors the "MS Village," and FedEx, which sponsors the route, providing
    trucks to haul meals, water, etc., to the rest stops. Each rest stop is
    sponsored and staffed by a different company. (The popular favorite is a
    sprinkler company whose stop features a ride-through mist sprayer. It
    feels like heaven on a hot day.)
    The donation money the riders raise ALL goes to the MS Society. I
    don't have the exact figures right here right now, but the breakdown is
    roughly like this: about 10% goes to fundraising (okay, maybe part of
    that bit goes into the ride); about 15% is for administrative expenses
    (rent, utilities, salaried staff, etc.); around 25% goes to research (such
    as the study that recently identified a gene that is one cause of the
    disease); the final 50% goes to programs to benefit people with MS, paying
    for anything from medications (MS meds are staggeringly expensive, take it
    from one who knows first-hand!) to wheelchairs to scholarships.
    The minimum amount riders have to raise over and above their
    registration fee is $200. How hard is that? I've gone over $500 both
    times I've ridden, and some late contributions this year, plus some tips
    and gifts that I've signed over, already have me over my $200 minimum for
    next year. My fund-raising technique? I send out e-mails and letters to
    people I know, offering them the chance to feel good about themselves by
    doing something good for others.
    Other rides may do things differently, but I think I'm involved with
    one that does it exactly the way it ought to be done. This year we had
    about 2900 riders, rode somewhere in the neighborhood of a third of a
    million miles, and raised over $1,500,000 for the MS Society. Oh, and
    incidentally, had a good time.

    Bill

    __o | Still riding for the cure. You can help.
    _`\(,_ | E-mail [email hidden] (minus the letters
    (_)/ (_) | with tails) to find out how.

  7. In rec.bicycles.misc said:

    The donation money the riders raise ALL goes to the MS Society. I
    don't have the exact figures right here right now, but the breakdown is
    roughly like this: about 10% goes to fundraising (okay, maybe part of
    that bit goes into the ride); about 15% is for administrative expenses
    (rent, utilities, salaried staff, etc.); around 25% goes to research (such
    as the study that recently identified a gene that is one cause of the
    disease); the final 50% goes to programs to benefit people with MS, paying
    for anything from medications (MS meds are staggeringly expensive, take it
    from one who knows first-hand!) to wheelchairs to scholarships.

    In the interest of accuracy, I looked up the actual numbers. In the
    case of this event, donations received by the MS Society are utilized in
    these amounts:
    5% administrative
    12% fundraising
    31% national programs & research
    52% local programs.

    Bill

    __o | Blind faith in your leaders--or in anything--
    _`\(,_ | will get you killed.
    (_)/ (_) | --Bruce Springsteen

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a volunteer, and
    >I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers might pick poor
    >routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.


    But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing something
    positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge. The high
    percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying experience,
    IMO/E.<<<<<<

    I agree that charity rides offer "casual riders," as well as more serious
    riders, a rare opportunity to do something positive while pedaling away.
    However, as a former marshall for the Long Island MS Rides, I have to say
    that some of what I saw on those rides was downright dangerous and
    irresponsible on the part of the organizers.

    As the "ride marshall," I assumed my job was to acompany the pack and make
    sure everyone made it safely through the course and stayed hydrated, etc.
    I'm not sure the organizers had the same idea of what a marshall does, but I
    know they didn't assign anyone ELSE to that job. Therefore, I was, by
    default, responsible for the well-being of hundreds of cyclists, many of
    whom hadn't taken their bikes out of the garage since the previous year's MS
    Ride.

    Like any typical charity ride, the low-impact route of the MS Ride generally
    attracts a wide array of cyclists ranging from angry geeks who want to show
    off how fast they can finish the route to much more laid-back folks who
    prefer to take their time, see the sights, chat with other riders, etc.
    Also in the mix are some really out-of-shape people who either got in over
    their heads or are out to achieve a personal goal. These are the people who
    end up needing a marshall's help.

    Both years I participated in the ride, I ended up taking almost seven hours
    to complete a course that was, I believe, no more than 25 miles. This is
    because I had to keep doubling back to pick up riders who had fallen way
    behind the pack. And in the end, both years, I ended up roughing it out
    with the very last rider, who, in both cases, didn't have a water bottle,
    hadn't eaten a proper breakfast that morning, and was riding a bicycle that
    should have been turned into a planter years before.

    I have great memories of coaching both these people through the last miles
    of the ride. One was a senior citizen who had made a bet with his son that
    he could finish the ride. The other was a very overweight,
    mentally-challenged kid riding an adult trike. At the end of the rides, I
    let them cross the finish line before me so that it would look like they
    didn't finish last. But it didn't matter, because both years, by the time
    we crossed the finish line, all the event volunteers and organizers were
    already gone.

    Yes, you heard that right. The people who had organized the rides had
    allowed the roads to be opened, the so-called "support vans" to leave, and
    the EMT's to go home before they had accounted for the last few riders.
    When we hit the finish line, there wasn't even a drink of water for these
    poor guys.

    Anyway, without beating the point to death, I think there are some dangerous
    gaps in the planning of these events -- at least as far as the short routes
    go. The serious riders on the 100 mile routes can surely take care of
    themselves, but the rest of the riders need a lot of support. Otherwise,
    it's just a matter of time before someone gets really seriously injured.

  9. Papa Tom said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a volunteer, and
    >>I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers might pick poor
    >>routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.

    But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing something
    positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge. The high
    percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying experience,
    IMO/E.<<<<<<

    I agree that charity rides offer "casual riders," as well as more serious
    riders, a rare opportunity to do something positive while pedaling away.
    However, as a former marshall for the Long Island MS Rides, I have to say
    that some of what I saw on those rides was downright dangerous and
    irresponsible on the part of the organizers.

    As the "ride marshall," I assumed my job was to acompany the pack and make
    sure everyone made it safely through the course and stayed hydrated, etc.
    I'm not sure the organizers had the same idea of what a marshall does, but I
    know they didn't assign anyone ELSE to that job. Therefore, I was, by
    default, responsible for the well-being of hundreds of cyclists, many of
    whom hadn't taken their bikes out of the garage since the previous year's MS
    Ride.

    Like any typical charity ride, the low-impact route of the MS Ride generally
    attracts a wide array of cyclists ranging from angry geeks who want to show
    off how fast they can finish the route to much more laid-back folks who
    prefer to take their time, see the sights, chat with other riders, etc.
    Also in the mix are some really out-of-shape people who either got in over
    their heads or are out to achieve a personal goal. These are the people who
    end up needing a marshall's help.

    Both years I participated in the ride, I ended up taking almost seven hours
    to complete a course that was, I believe, no more than 25 miles. This is
    because I had to keep doubling back to pick up riders who had fallen way
    behind the pack. And in the end, both years, I ended up roughing it out
    with the very last rider, who, in both cases, didn't have a water bottle,
    hadn't eaten a proper breakfast that morning, and was riding a bicycle that
    should have been turned into a planter years before.

    I have great memories of coaching both these people through the last miles
    of the ride. One was a senior citizen who had made a bet with his son that
    he could finish the ride. The other was a very overweight,
    mentally-challenged kid riding an adult trike. At the end of the rides, I
    let them cross the finish line before me so that it would look like they
    didn't finish last. But it didn't matter, because both years, by the time
    we crossed the finish line, all the event volunteers and organizers were
    already gone.

    Yes, you heard that right. The people who had organized the rides had
    allowed the roads to be opened, the so-called "support vans" to leave, and
    the EMT's to go home before they had accounted for the last few riders.
    When we hit the finish line, there wasn't even a drink of water for these
    poor guys.

    Anyway, without beating the point to death, I think there are some dangerous
    gaps in the planning of these events -- at least as far as the short routes
    go. The serious riders on the 100 mile routes can surely take care of
    themselves, but the rest of the riders need a lot of support. Otherwise,
    it's just a matter of time before someone gets really seriously injured.

    You made this same post about a week ago, complete with the same
    unacknowledged snipping of my original text. Why the repetition?

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >You made this same post about a week ago, complete with the same


    unacknowledged snipping of my original text. Why the repetition?<<<<<<

    Because I noticed that no one was adding to my other thread, while this one
    continued to generate comments. Sorry, but I guess I was feeling lonely.

    Regarding the "unacknowledged snipping," I'm not sure what you mean. But if
    I offended you, my apology.

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Papa Tom said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a volunteer,
    >>>and
    >>>I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers might pick poor
    >>>routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.

    But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing something
    positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge. The high
    percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying experience,
    IMO/E.<<<<<<

    I agree that charity rides offer "casual riders," as well as more serious
    riders, a rare opportunity to do something positive while pedaling away.
    However, as a former marshall for the Long Island MS Rides, I have to say
    that some of what I saw on those rides was downright dangerous and
    irresponsible on the part of the organizers.

    As the "ride marshall," I assumed my job was to acompany the pack and
    make
    sure everyone made it safely through the course and stayed hydrated, etc.
    I'm not sure the organizers had the same idea of what a marshall does,
    but I
    know they didn't assign anyone ELSE to that job. Therefore, I was, by
    default, responsible for the well-being of hundreds of cyclists, many of
    whom hadn't taken their bikes out of the garage since the previous year's
    MS
    Ride.

    Like any typical charity ride, the low-impact route of the MS Ride
    generally
    attracts a wide array of cyclists ranging from angry geeks who want to
    show
    off how fast they can finish the route to much more laid-back folks who
    prefer to take their time, see the sights, chat with other riders, etc.
    Also in the mix are some really out-of-shape people who either got in
    over
    their heads or are out to achieve a personal goal. These are the people
    who
    end up needing a marshall's help.

    Both years I participated in the ride, I ended up taking almost seven
    hours
    to complete a course that was, I believe, no more than 25 miles. This is
    because I had to keep doubling back to pick up riders who had fallen way
    behind the pack. And in the end, both years, I ended up roughing it out
    with the very last rider, who, in both cases, didn't have a water bottle,
    hadn't eaten a proper breakfast that morning, and was riding a bicycle
    that
    should have been turned into a planter years before.

    I have great memories of coaching both these people through the last
    miles
    of the ride. One was a senior citizen who had made a bet with his son
    that
    he could finish the ride. The other was a very overweight,
    mentally-challenged kid riding an adult trike. At the end of the rides,
    I
    let them cross the finish line before me so that it would look like they
    didn't finish last. But it didn't matter, because both years, by the
    time
    we crossed the finish line, all the event volunteers and organizers were
    already gone.

    Yes, you heard that right. The people who had organized the rides had
    allowed the roads to be opened, the so-called "support vans" to leave,
    and
    the EMT's to go home before they had accounted for the last few riders.
    When we hit the finish line, there wasn't even a drink of water for these
    poor guys.

    Anyway, without beating the point to death, I think there are some
    dangerous
    gaps in the planning of these events -- at least as far as the short
    routes
    go. The serious riders on the 100 mile routes can surely take care of
    themselves, but the rest of the riders need a lot of support. Otherwise,
    it's just a matter of time before someone gets really seriously injured.

    You made this same post about a week ago, complete with the same
    unacknowledged snipping of my original text. Why the repetition?

  11. Papa Tom said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>You made this same post about a week ago, complete with the same

    unacknowledged snipping of my original text. Why the repetition?<<<<<<

    Because I noticed that no one was adding to my other thread, while this one
    continued to generate comments. Sorry, but I guess I was feeling lonely.

    Nothing worse than an unrequited troll, eh?

    Quoted message said:


    Regarding the "unacknowledged snipping," I'm not sure what you mean. But if
    I offended you, my apology.

    Well, your snipping pretty much changed the entire context of my
    comments, which were made in reference to a very negative article
    about charity rides which appeared in Momentum magazine. And the
    negativity in that article had alnost no relation to your caveats
    about the two MS150s you "marshalled" in.

    <remainder snipped for brevity>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.