In rec.bicycles.tech "Steve Sr." whose message will self destruct in a few
days said:I am currently using a Cannondale T2000 as an all-purpose road bike.
It was originally bought mostly for commuting so it has fenders, rear
rack, and front handlebar bag. I made the mistake of putting it on the
bathroom scale once and it topped out at about 38 pounds with full
water bottles.
Unless you're going to put fenders, rear rack, etc. on the new bike, this
is an unfair comparision. A lighter bike *may* let you climb a little
faster. But calculate the percent difference of the TOTAL weight of bike +
rider + Misc for the two bikes. I'll bet it's between 1 and 2 percent -
not a big deal unless you're already are as skinny as Tyler Hamilton.
Quoted message said:Here are the things that I want to have on the new bike:
Quoted message said:1. The frame material I am leaning toward is TI.
May save a pound or so over steel, but at a price.
Quoted message said:3. Wide range cogs in the back but not quite as wide as the 11-34 on
the Cannondale. Something like 12-27 would probably be good
compromise. This may dictate a wide range (i.e. mountain) deraileur.
Standard Ultegra der will handle 12-27. Get long cage der if you use a
triple.
Quoted message said:7. Micro-adjust seatpost. I really like the Thompson seatpost that
came with the Cannondale.
No "p" in Thomson. Check eBay. I just bought a brand new Thomson for $33.
Very nice post.
Quoted message said:8. Brooks leather saddle.
And your trying to save weight??!!
Quoted message said:9. I'm open for suggestions on wheels. It seems that there are too
many choices out there. I'm looking for light weight / reliable.
Reliability is usually inversely proportional to weight, all else being
equal. Hard to recommend a specific wheel without knowing your weight.
Hard to go wrong with well built conventional wheels.
Art Harris