General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Entering a race with plans to DNF?

Started by Dan Stumpus · · Last activity · 2 posts · 258 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
31 January 2005
Last activity
31 January 2005
Original author
Dan Stumpus
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
258
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Ignoramus24281" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On April 2, there is going to be a 50 k race. It will be relatively
    inexpensive, only $35. I am considering participating in it, not
    necessarily with the intent to finish -- although it is remotely
    possible that I would be able to finish -- but with the intent to see
    how far can I jog before I am compelled to stop.

    If you walk all the hills, and/or, walk 5 min/jog 15, you will surprise
    yourself.
    Start at the end, and hang out and emulate the others. Thie means eating
    carbs, fat and protein along the way -- don't worry, you won't even eat
    enough to compensate for the calories consumed in the race -- 3100-4000,
    depending on your weight.

    Most competitive and elite ultra runners I know eat and drink about 300
    cals/hour.

    It's all about nutrition, fluid replacement, salt replacement, and pacing.
    Common rookie mistakes are not drinking and eating enough and going out too
    hard. Even though I'd read and talked with the pros, I still messed up for
    several races before I figured it out -- too focused on speed and place.

    In an ultra, you can totally die or cramp up, then rest, walk, eat and
    drink, get some caffeine, and come to life again. Someone can be 15 minutes
    ahead of you at mile 20, and you can get 'em at 30 if he messes up. It's
    pretty amazing.

    I agree with Donovan's concerns about logistics of dropping, but my money
    says you'll be able to cover more ground than he suggests, if you approach
    it with the ultra mind-set.

    Quoted message said:

    Would you think that this is an idea that is somehow terribly
    detrimental to my life or plans to run the fall Chicago marathon?

    This will be a slow, tiring plod, or maybe an enjoyable one, if you find
    good conversation along the way. Many finishers of 50 milers don't run much
    more than 40 mpw (although they do longer runs and have lots of experience
    under their belt).

    You're unlikely to break anything or wreck your year. I find 50ks (on dirt
    or trails) much easier to recover from than road marathons. Heck, if you've
    got some good beer, you might even talk Doug into pacing you...

    -- Dan

  2. "Ignoramus24281" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Start at the end, and hang out and emulate the others. Thie means eating
    carbs, fat and protein along the way -- don't worry, you won't even eat
    enough to compensate for the calories consumed in the race -- 3100-4000,
    depending on your weight.

    Do they actually serve fatty foods along the way?

    Usually there are nuts or peanut butter on crackers or bits of pb&j
    sandwich. You need 10% - 15% fat to keep your stomach settled, and some of
    it goes into your blood as fatty acids (good). If they don't have anything
    like that, I take some cheese or a quesadilla (melted cheese on a tortilla).
    Of course my favorite is homemade choc chip cookies, which have fat, sugar,
    carbs and protein -- the compleat food!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most competitive and elite ultra runners I know eat and drink about 300
    cals/hour.

    It's all about nutrition, fluid replacement, salt replacement, and
    pacing.
    Common rookie mistakes are not drinking and eating enough and going out
    too
    hard. Even though I'd read and talked with the pros, I still messed up
    for
    several races before I figured it out -- too focused on speed and place.

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with Donovan's concerns about logistics of dropping, but my money
    says you'll be able to cover more ground than he suggests, if you
    approach
    it with the ultra mind-set.

    Which is, be conservative, eat, drink, rest, keep plodding. Right?

    Yup, but recognize that you'll need to mix in regular walking at your
    fitness level. 'Tis better to plan walk breaks all along then be forced to
    walk the last 8 miles...

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you! At least, it would be an interesting experience. The race
    will be along the lake shore, so, if or when I drop off, I would
    just pick a taxi, no big deal.

    If you manage to finish it, you are guaranteed to feel great about
    yourself...

    -- Dan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.