General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Entering a race with plans to DNF?

Started by Donovan Rebbechi · · Last activity · 1 post · 204 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
31 January 2005
Last activity
31 January 2005
Original author
Donovan Rebbechi
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
204
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ignoramus24281 said:

    I am curious what do you esteemed experts think. I will likely
    participate in the March Madness half marathon, fully expecting to
    finish, on March 20.

    On April 2, there is going to be a 50 k race. It will be relatively
    inexpensive, only $35. I am considering participating in it, not
    necessarily with the intent to finish -- although it is remotely
    possible that I would be able to finish -- but with the intent to see
    how far can I jog before I am compelled to stop.

    It's bad, but not because you're DNFing. It's bad because you don't have
    a clear goal. It's probably also bad from a practical standpoint, because
    if you don't have a designated finishing spot, it's going to be hard to
    work out the details of getting from your stopping point to the finish.

    You should have a plan, and the plan needs to be based on where your training
    is when you do the race.

    I'd suggest that you take the longest run you've completed prior to the
    race and add about 30% to the distance. So if you can complete an 18 mile
    training run before the race, then aim to do the first 23 miles of the
    race. (but you should aim to do at least 20 regardless, based on the fact
    that you've had a half marathon under your belt for some time)

    You may need to look carefully at the course map to make sure that your
    planned stopping point is practical as a bail-out (I say that because if
    it's a wilderness trail or something, you probably can't just have someone
    pick you up anywhere on the course)

    In terms of your training, the more you can build up your long run, the
    more ambitious a goal you'll be able to set.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.