UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: Did we loose anyone today?

Started by Peter B · · Last activity · 9 posts · 297 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 April 2005
Last activity
5 April 2005
Original author
Peter B
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
297
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Chatter on a few other newsgroups as people suddenly find
    news.individual.net unavailable to them. Have we lost anyone here or
    are cyclists more clued up about such matters than some computer


    newsgroups?

    News.Individual.NET was good while it lasted, now I'm back to using
    Openwound so only expect to download half the messages.Let's hope it's the
    more upbeat half ;-)

    Pete

  2. "Peter B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Chatter on a few other newsgroups as people suddenly find
    news.individual.net unavailable to them. Have we lost anyone here or
    are cyclists more clued up about such matters than some computer


    newsgroups?

    News.Individual.NET was good while it lasted, now I'm back to using
    Openwound so only expect to download half the messages.Let's hope it's the
    more upbeat half ;-)

    Pete

    All to save £6?

    Tw

  3. "Tumbleweed" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Peter B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    News.Individual.NET was good while it lasted, now I'm back to using
    Openwound so only expect to download half the messages.Let's hope it's


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    more upbeat half ;-)


    All to save £6?

    Tw

    As it's clearly a trifling amount to you please pay it on my behalf.

  4. "Peter B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Tumbleweed" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Peter B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    News.Individual.NET was good while it lasted, now I'm back to using
    Openwound so only expect to download half the messages.Let's hope it's


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    more upbeat half ;-)


    All to save £6?

    Tw

    As it's clearly a trifling amount to you please pay it on my behalf.


    I would have done, but anyone who uses Btinternet deserves everything they
    get...or dont, IME in the case of btinternet.

    Tw

  5. "Ross Hamilton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Still, it's a free world, and therefore you're free to make yourself
    look like an uptight twerp who can't handle the slightest criticism.

    Have a nice eternity.

    With your approval I shall have a nice eternity, thank you.

  6. "Ross Hamilton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Still, it's a free world, and therefore you're free to make yourself
    look like an uptight twerp.

    On reflection after re-reading the posts I think I've made quite a good job
    of it, not that I'm proud mind.

    The problem of this medium (usenet) is that without the use of emoticons the
    tone of a message can be ambiguous and the reader may apply their own
    prevailing mood and interpretate it accordingly.
    Oh well, what's life without an occasional foot in it?
    (The moral of the story of course is to not reply immediately).

    Pete

  7. On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:00:29 +0000 (UTC), Peter B wrote in
    <[email hidden]>, seen in uk.rec.cycling:
    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    The problem of this medium (usenet) is that without the use of emoticons the
    tone of a message can be ambiguous and the reader may apply their own
    prevailing mood and interpretate it accordingly.

    I'm very good at writing one thing and then reading it on the group
    later and thinking "Oh, bum, that reads in a completely different way
    to that I intended". :-(

    Quoted message said:

    Oh well, what's life without an occasional foot in it?

    As long as you don't tread in something nasty before you put your foot
    in your mouth, it doesn't really matter, does it? :-)

    Quoted message said:

    (The moral of the story of course is to not reply immediately).

    If someone _really_ gets up my nose, I type out a suitable reply
    telling the other poster what I think of them, then delete it and come
    back later to type out a postable reply. Generally allows me to let
    off steam, but in all honesty I don't do it often enough!
    --
    Ross, in Lincoln
    Reply-to address will bounce; replace "junk-trap" with "me" for e-mail

  8. in message <[email hidden]>, Peter B

    (') said:


    "Ross Hamilton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Still, it's a free world, and therefore you're free to make yourself
    look like an uptight twerp.

    On reflection after re-reading the posts I think I've made quite a
    good job of it, not that I'm proud mind.

    The problem of this medium (usenet) is that without the use of
    emoticons the
    tone of a message can be ambiguous and the reader may apply their own
    prevailing mood and interpretate it accordingly.

    Yup. A habit I've yet to unlearn is to browse Usenet when I'm bored,
    [censored] or unhappy. This has occasionally embarrassing consequences.

    Quoted message said:

    Oh well, what's life without an occasional foot in it?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
    ;; of me, by a 'friend'

  9. Peter B wrote:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    The problem of this medium (usenet) is that without the use of emoticons the
    tone of a message can be ambiguous and the reader may apply their own
    prevailing mood and interpretate it accordingly.


    [snip]

    The use of emoticons does not change anything; they can be employed
    ironically, sarcastically, dishonestly, ambiguously, incompetently and
    in every other way, deliberate or accidental, that might lead to a
    failure to interpret correctly the underlying meaning of what is said.

    In the end plain clear English is probably the best defence against
    being misunderstood, but even that provides no guarantee.

    --
    Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.