General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re : Cathy O'Dowd, prejudice and untruths

Started by Steve · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,156 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 November 2004
Last activity
18 November 2004
Original author
Steve
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,156
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Regarding the reaction to my original post, and rather than replying in
    each sub-thread, I thought I'd start a new one with a consolidated reply.

    At the end of the talk, Cathy O'Dowd was questioned - face-to-face by
    members of the audience - not a TV interviewer with editing facilities -
    about aspects of the controversy that surrounds her and her climbing
    past, particularly Everest 1996 and 1998.

    Personally, I thought her answers were honest and forthright. She
    answered everything she was asked and didn't fudge, like many do under
    the pressure of questions. Whether you think her actions - or inactions
    - around Everest 1996/98 are 'right' or not is up to you, but there are
    some specific points she made :

    1. The point regarding the 'refusal' of the SA team to hand over radios,
    as described in 'Into Thin Air'. Jon Krakauer was not at Base Camp, nor
    was he in the SA team tent. His version is refuted by O'Dowd and Woodall
    and crucially, Mal Duff. Mal was the person that actually spoke to
    Woodall on the radio, after the SA team had received a garbled call from
    an unknown person, ordering them to give the radio to another unknown
    party. The SA team asked who was co-ordinating the rescue, indeed who
    was involved in the rescue, and what was the rescue plan - this was not
    clear to anyone. Woodall asked to speak to Mal Duff, who came on the
    radio and suggested that the SA team keep their radio as a means of
    communication between Base Camp and the higher camp. This is not
    mentioned anywhere in 'Into Thin Air'. Krakauer later admitted that his
    book contained inaccuracies due to editorial time pressure.

    2. Fran Arsentiev - when Cathy O'Dowd found Fran, her and her team
    stayed with her for an hour whilst they tried to decide what to do. They
    sought the help of 3 Uzbeks who had made the decision that Fran was gone
    already. They tried and failed to make radio contact with Base Camp.
    They assessed that there was little they could do - she would require
    all of their oxygen just to stay alive a little longer - she was a dead
    weight that could not be managed at that altitude by their team and the
    Sherpas. She was in the last stages of extreme hypothermia, as had
    removed much of her clothing, with severe frostbite as a result.
    They decided that they could not continue to the summit and carry on, as
    the Japanese had done to the dying Indian climbers earlier that month,
    however they concluded that they could not save her life.

    3. During the 1996 storm, when news of missing descending climbers
    reached their tent, the South Africans DID attempt to help. Herrod and
    Woodall left the tents to mount a search. O'Dowd was too weak to even
    get up, let alone leave the tent following the exertions of reaching the
    camp. She asserts that if she had tried to 'rescue' anyone at that
    point, she would be another that would be needed to be rescued, and
    would have probably died herself.

    Someone posted that they would not want to be on a mountain with me, as
    I'd posted positively about Cathy O'Dowd, and because I found her to be
    inspirational.

    Well, her talk included, as well as her explanation and viewpoint of the
    tragedies of 1996, why she got into climbing and adventure in the first
    place and how she sets about attempting feats that others would have
    written her off for, and what is required to achieve these goals. All of
    this, I found to be highly inspirational for my own goals. Also, I
    believe that she answers her critics honestly and truthfully.

    Whether, because of this, you don't want to be on a mountain with me,
    well that's up to you. My guess is that you have jumped to the
    assumption that, because of my views on the above, I would leave you to
    rot in a sticky situation.

    Thankfully, my walking/climbing friends are not so prejudiced - well,
    they know me I suppose.

    You don't know.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, Steve
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Thankfully, my walking/climbing friends are not so prejudiced - well,
    they know me I suppose.

    Thanks Steve, interesting stuff.

    --

    Dominic Sexton
    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  3. Quoted message said:


    You don't know.

    Aparently, however, she still wouldn't get a penny from me - I bet George
    Bush is a nice guy in a face to face chat.
    I thank you for your comprehensive reply though, and as such, I'm upgrading
    your status to I'd be happy to be on a mountain with you, but not a rope.
    ;o)

    Nathan

  4. Steve said:

    Regarding the reaction to my original post, and rather than replying in
    each sub-thread, I thought I'd start a new one with a consolidated reply.

    Thanks for the follow up Steve.

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  5. Steve said:

    Regarding the reaction to my original post, and rather than replying in
    each sub-thread, I thought I'd start a new one with a consolidated reply.

    <snip good stuff>

    Many thanks for that - I'd love to hear her speak.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  6. Very interesting and I certainly would not want to criticise her or other
    members of her team. At that altitude it's every person for themselves,
    there can be little room for morals. That is why I will never climb
    Everest - even if I won the lottery.

    Those that climb Everest must accept death may come and that no one will
    help them. If you don't like them terms - DON'T climb it! Why people can't
    accept that puzzles me.

    Jhimmy

  7. Treefrog said:
    Quoted message said:

    You don't know.

    Aparently, however, she still wouldn't get a penny from me - I bet George
    Bush is a nice guy in a face to face chat.
    I thank you for your comprehensive reply though, and as such, I'm upgrading
    your status to I'd be happy to be on a mountain with you, but not a rope.
    ;o)

    Nathan

    Like it!! :-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.