Quoted message said:I don't think there is anything "wild extrapolation" about the
original "CF shatters" thread at all. In fact, iirc, the credentialed
technologists (myself included) came forward and stated that
manufacturing defects cannot be ruled out in the case of the pictured
Scott frame, while the rest of you (especially bike shop owners, A.
Muzi, yourself come to mind) were speculating "more than JRA,"
offering theories that were easily disproven. The only theory
proposed so far in that thread that has NOT yet been disproven is
"manufacturing defect."
I think both Mr. Muzi and I would be very interested in knowing what
theories we offered that were "easily disproven." Near as I can tell,
there's been no proof of anything whatsoever. Not even proof that the
original photo and description that started this thread even happened in the
first place. I believe something did happen, but for you or anyone else to
say there's proof of anything thus far can only be an indication of an
extraordinarily low standard of proof.
Quoted message said:I believe you've been dealing long enough with CF bikes enough to know
that CF frames are subject to failure. Hell, even Trek themselves
admit this. Failures don't happen often, but occur frequently enough
compared to metal frames. I don't know where the Scott CF frames are
made (I assume China, but don't actually know), but given all the [censored]
that been happening to Chinese products, are you saying this is a
justifiable risk?
There is ample evidence of failure in every technology and frame material
that has ever been brought to cycling. Carbon fiber is little different from
any other material. You can build a great frame out of it, or a terrible
frame. You can build a frame appropriate for a given purpose, or
inappropriate. And unfortunately, it's the user who often decides, after the
fact, to subject it to inappropriate use. Sometimes by accident, sometimes
intentionally.
And why are you bringing China into this? As if the fact that they poison
our kids with lead paint has anything to do with high tech and not
everything to do with simple greed? We could get into a lengthy discussion
about the pitfalls of offshoring manufacturing to a culture with different
standards and ways of dealing with things than our own, but I don't think
that's really rec.bicycles.tech material. But I'll contribute something
anyway. Trek learned ages ago, as has most every manufacturer (probably
including Scott), that if you want something done right (by our standards)
in China, you have to have one of your own people there supervising. That's
just the way it is. This might be more practical for a bicycle company than
a toy company, since manufacturing is more centralized (factories aren't
spread throughout the country, due to the need for relatively high-tech
tooling and skills), and the cost of each individual piece is higher.
Quoted message said:While it's true "nobody died" while riding a CF bike, you'll note that
the owner of the broken frame stated he received 11 stitches to his
face, not to mention lacerations to other body parts. I wouldn't wish
this on anyone who rides a bike. Suppose the fellow had been
descending Old La Honda or Kings Mtn. Rd. when the frame broke, you
*still* think the risk is justifiable?
My apologies if I said that "nobody died" riding a carbon fiber bike. I
doubt that's the case; there are enough of them out there that it's a near
certainty that people have died riding carbon fiber bikes, and it's even
likely, given the numbers, that somebody might have died due to something
defective. That's certainly been the case with aluminum, steel & titanium
bikes, and I have no reason to believe there's something so magical about
carbon fiber that it can't be screwed up in a fashion that couldn't
seriously injure or kill someone. Manufacturing itself is a flawed process,
because perfection is not sustainable in the long run. Too many variables.
Aluminum frames have had their front ends literally fall off at the welds.
Steel forks have collapsed because they weren't brazed properly, or somebody
screwed up and thought long welded tangs on the inside of the blades were a
good idea. Titanium frames have failed at welds.
All of which proves nothing whatsoever in terms of suitability of a material
to build a bicycle.
And again, as I pointed out previously, I've had multiple stem failures.
Both failed at times I'd rather they hadn't (during sprints). Both were just
as capable of putting me down on the ground as any frame failure imaginable,
although it's difficult to imagine a frame failure that would give
absolutely zero warning, as the stems did. So, do I think about that when
descending Old La Honda (why would you do that, by the way? 84 is much
safer) or Kings Mtn? No. Because I've put a zillion miles on bicycles over
the years, and such failures are exceptionally rare.
So what is a justifiable risk to you? Is any risk whatsoever justifiable? I
take a risk every time I ride my bike, especially descending. But I'm not
concerned about the sort of failure we've dealt with in this thread. I'm
concerned there could be a piece of glass with my name on it, causing a
blowout in a corner through which I cannot recover, and possibly sending me
into the path of an oncoming car. I think the risk of high-quality equipment
failing is insignificant in comparison.
Quoted message said:For people who race, crashing is almost a fact of life, and racers may
elect to take this risk. For people who ride recreationally, why
don't you tell me what exactly is the point of facial reconstruction?
Spin that one for me.
Why?
--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
"damyth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:On Sep 12, 5:08 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:There's more going on here than tech issues -- it's really tech vs
religion (anti-tech, here disguised as pseudo-tech). To those who share
that faith, he is preaching to the choir. Those with any common sense
realize he gets nastier as the ice gets thinner.
You need to add one other issue- the wild extrapolation that goes on when
somebody posts a photo and/or story on the 'net and everyone gets excited
about it... despite a lack of any real information. We see a picture of a
single broken frame and build an entire world around it. And, in typical
usenet fashion, some want to rush in and exclaim that they know exactly
what's wrong before somebody else can, and then have to spend the next
week
coming up with ways to defend that initial position.
And now? Now we're learning all about pencils & trees. Which is yet
another
thing going on here... it's beginning to resemble the Monty Python
"witch"
sketch.
All the while maintaining that it's not relevant that, in the real world,
people aren't dying right & left due to failing frames. Because they
*should* be, I guess.
--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
"Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:> "Jambo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:...
>> <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:>>> Because a subject receives a rude response does not validate
>>> replying
>>> in kind. Returning rudeness reduces a response to the level of the
>>> opponent.
Quoted message said:>> However, the concern is that bluster, rude retorts, and cover ups
>> through insults do get past the bs filters of some people, and more
>> significantly, allow people like beamboy to continue polluting
>> discussion groups with impunity.
Quoted message said:There's more going on here than tech issues -- it's really tech vs
religion (anti-tech, here disguised as pseudo-tech). To those who share
that faith, he is preaching to the choir. Those with any common sense
realize he gets nastier as the ice gets thinner.
Quoted message said:I have to agree with Jobst, although I don't mind seeing a verbal bully
get pushed back every once in a while.
I don't think there is anything "wild extrapolation" about the
original "CF shatters" thread at all. In fact, iirc, the credentialed
technologists (myself included) came forward and stated that
manufacturing defects cannot be ruled out in the case of the pictured
Scott frame, while the rest of you (especially bike shop owners, A.
Muzi, yourself come to mind) were speculating "more than JRA,"
offering theories that were easily disproven. The only theory
proposed so far in that thread that has NOT yet been disproven is
"manufacturing defect."
I believe you've been dealing long enough with CF bikes enough to know
that CF frames are subject to failure. Hell, even Trek themselves
admit this. Failures don't happen often, but occur frequently enough
compared to metal frames. I don't know where the Scott CF frames are
made (I assume China, but don't actually know), but given all the [censored]
that been happening to Chinese products, are you saying this is a
justifiable risk?
While it's true "nobody died" while riding a CF bike, you'll note that
the owner of the broken frame stated he received 11 stitches to his
face, not to mention lacerations to other body parts. I wouldn't wish
this on anyone who rides a bike. Suppose the fellow had been
descending Old La Honda or Kings Mtn. Rd. when the frame broke, you
*still* think the risk is justifiable?
For people who race, crashing is almost a fact of life, and racers may
elect to take this risk. For people who ride recreationally, why
don't you tell me what exactly is the point of facial reconstruction?
Spin that one for me.