General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Achintee/Glen Nevis

Started by Simon Caldwell · · Last activity · 6 posts · 329 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 August 2005
Last activity
10 August 2005
Original author
Simon Caldwell
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
329
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. nickl said:


    Hi

    Does anyone have any info' on any campsites at/near the foot of the Ben
    Nevis 'tourist track' - price/night + latest time you can arrive?

    We usually use this one:
    http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk/

    It's far from cheap though - something like £8 per person at this time
    of year, if you've got a car. The do have a limit on arrival time, I
    think it's 11pm. Though if you phone in advance you may be able to
    make some arrangements if you need to arrive later, they really just
    want to avoid large groups arriving in the early hours and waking
    everyone up.

    The cheaper option is to camp rough by the side of the road. This is
    banned up most of the Glen though, so you'd either need to drive a
    long way up, or arrive late/leave early.

    Quoted message said:

    A friend and I have an epic day planned - BN via Ledge Route then CMD
    Arrete then Aonach Mor then Aonoch Beag - so need an early start as we
    only have time for a mad dash from the Lakes.

    Sounds a nice day - good luck :-)

    S.
    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

  2. "Simon Caldwell" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    We usually use this one:
    http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk/

    It's far from cheap though - something like £8 per person at this time
    of year, if you've got a car. The do have a limit on arrival time, I
    think it's 11pm. Though if you phone in advance you may be able to
    make some arrangements if you need to arrive later, they really just
    want to avoid large groups arriving in the early hours and waking
    everyone up.

    I've arrived there fairly late this time of year and found it full up.
    Well, the signs said full, the receptionist said full but the bloke who
    I assume to run the place decided I could be fitted in. There's another
    campsite marked on the map behind the school over the bridge opposite
    the distillery but I've no idea if there's still one there or not, never
    heard anyone mention it or noticed any glimpses of it in passing.

  3. AndyP said:

    There's another
    campsite marked on the map behind the school over the bridge opposite
    the distillery but I've no idea if there's still one there or not, never
    heard anyone mention it or noticed any glimpses of it in passing.

    A quick googlation reveals that the contact number is 01397 703446

    Lochy Holiday Park Nr Fort William
    Camaghael
    Fort William
    Highland
    PH33 7NF

    STB four star.

    Also that there is a review of the site here
    http://www.bedford-cf.co.uk/sites/scot3.htm
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  4. "Phil Cook" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Lochy Holiday Park Nr Fort William
    Camaghael
    Fort William
    Highland
    PH33 7NF

    STB four star.

    Also that there is a review of the site here
    http://www.bedford-cf.co.uk/sites/scot3.htm

    I like the bit of that review that says "Attractions: Nothing you can
    walk to." That's a bit negative seeing as the start of a footpath to
    the summit of the highest mountain in Scotland is maybe less than a
    kilometre back over the bridge.

  5. SNIP

    Quoted message said:

    I've arrived there fairly late this time of year and found it full up.
    Well, the signs said full, the receptionist said full but the bloke who
    I assume to run the place decided I could be fitted in. There's another
    campsite marked on the map behind the school over the bridge opposite
    the distillery but I've no idea if there's still one there or not, never
    heard anyone mention it or noticed any glimpses of it in passing.

    I used this campsite about 4 or 5 years ago, it was good, much cheaper then
    the Glen Nevis campsite. There was a very large field and it was popular
    near the river edge. Good view of the Ben as well. I walked from there,
    through the Distillary (there's a path through it) up to the Coire Leis.

    There's also the possiblity of a bivi in the car at Torlundy.

    Jhimmy.

  6. "Phil Cook" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    AndyP said:

    There's another
    campsite marked on the map behind the school over the bridge opposite
    the distillery but I've no idea if there's still one there or not, never
    heard anyone mention it or noticed any glimpses of it in passing.

    A quick googlation reveals that the contact number is 01397 703446

    Lochy Holiday Park Nr Fort William
    Camaghael
    Fort William
    Highland
    PH33 7NF

    STB four star.

    Also that there is a review of the site here
    http://www.bedford-cf.co.uk/sites/scot3.htm

    That's the place I was trying to remember when this came up last. It has
    fabulous views of the Ben but it isnt that close - takes about 15 minutes to
    drive to the Car Park in Glen Nevis due to the Fort William roads. I dont
    remember it being that cheap either or doing less than a couple of nights.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.