General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Rannoch Station

Started by Alec Powell · · Last activity · 11 posts · 400 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 January 2005
Last activity
23 January 2005
Original author
Alec Powell
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
400
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I wonder if anyone can help?
    I am toying with the idea of walking from Corrour Station towards the
    bothy at Loch Chiarain. I am looking at the possiblility of catching the
    choo choo from Rannoch Station to Corrour but don't know about leaving
    the car there for 5 days.
    Can anyone help?
    Any ideas about the proposed trip might be handy as well, (for example
    what's the fishing like? :-)
    Thanks for your time,
    Alec
    --
    Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

    Web Pages:
    http://www.prole.demon.co.uk/

  2. "Alec Powell" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if anyone can help?
    I am toying with the idea of walking from Corrour Station towards the
    bothy at Loch Chiarain. I am looking at the possiblility of catching the
    choo choo from Rannoch Station to Corrour but don't know about leaving
    the car there for 5 days.
    Can anyone help?
    Any ideas about the proposed trip might be handy as well, (for example
    what's the fishing like? :-)
    Thanks for your time,
    Alec

    Well, Rannoch Station doesn't look like a *big city crime scene* to me. It's
    almost in the middle of knowhere. My map shows a hotel near Rannoch Station
    at the end of the road. Why don't you give them a call and ask for the
    situation regarding safety and perhaps they are willingly to keep an eye
    open ?

    --
    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  3. The message <[email hidden]>
    from "theo" <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am toying with the idea of walking from Corrour Station towards the
    bothy at Loch Chiarain. I am looking at the possiblility of catching the
    choo choo from Rannoch Station to Corrour but don't know about leaving
    the car there for 5 days.
    Can anyone help?
    Any ideas about the proposed trip might be handy as well, (for example
    what's the fishing like? :-)
    Thanks for your time,
    Alec

    Quoted message said:

    Well, Rannoch Station doesn't look like a *big city crime scene* to
    me. It's
    almost in the middle of knowhere. My map shows a hotel near Rannoch Station
    at the end of the road. Why don't you give them a call and ask for the
    situation regarding safety and perhaps they are willingly to keep an eye
    open ?

    So it does. Amazing what you can find in the middle of nowhere.

    FWIW back in the early 80s 1 left my Range Rover unattended for several
    days at 2 separate points on the road near there. One was at 447578
    where there was a road sign pointing off up a track with the evocative
    message 'Road to the Isles'. I didn't attempt to drive up the track
    (which was a good thing) because by the time I had returned someone had
    JCBed a deep trench right across it.

    On that trip I picked up a very odd hitch hiker on the way out. A middle
    aged bloke who had spent the previous day (a Sunday) walking from Bridge
    of Orchy Station to Rannoch Station along the railway track.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 10 summits
    New - 10 (Marilyns 0, Sweats 0, Outlying Fells 10)
    Repeats - 0 (Marilyns 0, Sweats 0, Wainwrights 0, Outlying Fells 0)

  4. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:40:25 GMT, Roger <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The message <[email hidden]>
    from "theo" <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am toying with the idea of walking from Corrour Station towards the
    bothy at Loch Chiarain. I am looking at the possiblility of catching the
    choo choo from Rannoch Station to Corrour but don't know about leaving
    the car there for 5 days.
    Can anyone help?
    Any ideas about the proposed trip might be handy as well, (for example
    what's the fishing like? :-)
    Thanks for your time,
    Alec

    Quoted message said:

    Well, Rannoch Station doesn't look like a *big city crime scene* to
    me. It's
    almost in the middle of knowhere. My map shows a hotel near Rannoch Station
    at the end of the road. Why don't you give them a call and ask for the
    situation regarding safety and perhaps they are willingly to keep an eye
    open ?

    So it does. Amazing what you can find in the middle of nowhere.

    FWIW back in the early 80s 1 left my Range Rover unattended for several
    days at 2 separate points on the road near there. One was at 447578
    where there was a road sign pointing off up a track with the evocative
    message 'Road to the Isles'. I didn't attempt to drive up the track
    (which was a good thing) because by the time I had returned someone had
    JCBed a deep trench right across it.

    On that trip I picked up a very odd hitch hiker on the way out. A middle
    aged bloke who had spent the previous day (a Sunday) walking from Bridge
    of Orchy Station to Rannoch Station along the railway track.

    I've walked a few miles along the track when it was the only bit clear
    of very deep snow, and it's not nice - the sleepers are the wrong
    distance apart.

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

  5. There's a reasonable sized car park at Rannoch Station. As far as i
    know there are no restrictions on leaving a car there for a few days.

    There's a lovely wee tea-room on the platform by the way :-)

    I'd forget all about the hotel. I was up on Beinn Pharlagain bivvying
    last summer and headed to the hotel for a beer before getting the train
    home. No public bar, and the woman in reception was very short with me,
    making it clear that passing walkers are neither encouraged nor wanted.
    I'd give the place a miss !!

  6. There's a reasonable sized car park at Rannoch Station. As far as i
    know there are no restrictions on leaving a car there for a few days.

    There's a lovely wee tea-room on the platform by the way :-)

    I'd forget all about the hotel. I was up on Beinn Pharlagain bivvying
    last summer and headed to the hotel for a beer before getting the train
    home. No public bar, and the woman in reception was very short with me,
    making it clear that passing walkers are neither encouraged nor wanted.
    I'd give the place a miss !!


  7. Quoted message said:

    I'd forget all about the hotel. I was up on Beinn Pharlagain bivvying
    last summer and headed to the hotel for a beer before getting the train
    home. No public bar, and the woman in reception was very short with me,
    making it clear that passing walkers are neither encouraged nor wanted.
    I'd give the place a miss !!


    Oh not another.....

    Amazing business sense... Middle of Rannoch Moor and no filthy self
    propelled organisms.... These gits are a plague..

    However remember they seldom last long, worth checking agan in a year
    or so.

    As for crime hotspots, I leave my car out in the centre of Edinburgh
    for most of the year.... Mind last night, staggering of Garbh Bheinn
    (Corbett bagging again) I watched the police with torches giving my
    car a good looking over... If you leave a car long in such a place ,
    possibly best to let them know.

    Richard Webb

  8. Alec Powell said:

    choo choo from Rannoch Station to Corrour but don't know about leaving
    the car there for 5 days.

    Rannoch Station is in the middle of absolutely nowhere, its a surreal
    wilderness place. However, there's one small/ occasional fly in the
    ointment brought on by the steam chuffer; when it runs, the station is
    swarmed like flies around a smelly thing.

    No idea how that might impact on your security, prolly not at all, but
    may impact in other ways.

    --
    SteveO

  9. It could be a good idea to let the local police know if you're leaving your
    car somewhere remote for several days. I once had a couple of messages from
    the police on my mobile when I got back from a walking expedition because a
    concerned local had reported my car having been parked in a layby for 5
    days.

    Adrian

    "RJ Webb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I'd forget all about the hotel. I was up on Beinn Pharlagain bivvying
    last summer and headed to the hotel for a beer before getting the train
    home. No public bar, and the woman in reception was very short with me,
    making it clear that passing walkers are neither encouraged nor wanted.
    I'd give the place a miss !!


    Oh not another.....

    Amazing business sense... Middle of Rannoch Moor and no filthy self
    propelled organisms.... These gits are a plague..

    However remember they seldom last long, worth checking agan in a year
    or so.

    As for crime hotspots, I leave my car out in the centre of Edinburgh
    for most of the year.... Mind last night, staggering of Garbh Bheinn
    (Corbett bagging again) I watched the police with torches giving my
    car a good looking over... If you leave a car long in such a place ,
    possibly best to let them know.

    Richard Webb

  10. I have also left my car here when en-route to stay at Loch Ossain Youth
    Hostel. It is a common occurence at Stations north and south of Corrour
    for cars to be parked for several days. I have even parked at Spean
    Bridge station when out bivying and returning by train from Corrour. I
    suppose we are always at risk when we leave our cars for any length of
    time.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, SteveO <?@?.?>
    wrote on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 at 11:40:27:

    Quoted message said:

    Rannoch Station is in the middle of absolutely nowhere, its a surreal
    wilderness place. However, there's one small/ occasional fly in the
    ointment brought on by the steam chuffer; when it runs, the station is
    swarmed like flies around a smelly thing.

    When I was at Rannoch Station I was much more annoyed by the swarms of
    midges....

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.